Where do you go when you need a break?

villagefarang

We just returned from our six day road trip around the North of Thailand. We stayed in Doi Angkhang, Pai, Mae Chaem and Chiang Mai, taking in Doi Inthanon on the way to Chiang Mai from Mae Chaem.
It was a lovely trip trough some very remote areas, and just what I needed. The first two days were lovely weather but strangely I didn’t really mind the fog, mist, rain and cold as we drove through lush forests and up steep mountains, on beautifully winding roads.
Now I will have to start working on the pictures I took and write something for my blog.

VF, What kind of condition is the Pai road in? I havne't been up that way in a very long time and it wasn't that good a road..

Edited by Garry

We just returned from our six day road trip around the North of Thailand. We stayed in Doi Angkhang, Pai, Mae Chaem and Chiang Mai, taking in Doi Inthanon on the way to Chiang Mai from Mae Chaem.
It was a lovely trip trough some very remote areas, and just what I needed. The first two days were lovely weather but strangely I didn’t really mind the fog, mist, rain and cold as we drove through lush forests and up steep mountains, on beautifully winding roads.
Now I will have to start working on the pictures I took and write something for my blog.

VF, What kind of condition is the Pai road in? I havne't been up that way in a very long time and it wasn't that good a road..

The road is pretty much the same as previous trips with washboard corners but that doesn’t bother me, as I don’t drive all that fast. The road to Mae Hong Son and on to Khun Yuam was pretty good. The only really bad section was Khun Yuam to Mae Chaem but I even enjoyed that because it is so remote and beautiful.
I followed a local up the very narrow, steep and twisty road to Doi Inthanon which helped warn me of oncoming traffic on super tight corners. Even in the rain and mist I loved the driving and don’t understand why people complain about it so much.
  • Like 1

The road is pretty much the same as previous trips with washboard corners but that doesn’t bother me, as I don’t drive all that fast. The road to Mae Hong Son and on to Khun Yuam was pretty good. The only really bad section was Khun Yuam to Mae Chaem but I even enjoyed that because it is so remote and beautiful.
I followed a local up the very narrow, steep and twisty road to Doi Inthanon which helped warn me of oncoming traffic on super tight corners. Even in the rain and mist I loved the driving and don’t understand why people complain about it so much.

Thanks, I was planning a drive up that way with my family in the near future. Scenic slow trip and not a scenic blur trip :D

• Like 1

The drive up Doi Inthanon is reward enough but being high in the clouds on the highest point in Thailand, at over 2565 meters, and being able to see things like this is amazing.

Trip%20%20032.jpg

wow l must go there one day

The drive up Doi Inthanon is reward enough but being high in the clouds on the highest point in Thailand, at over 2565 meters, and being able to see things like this is amazing.

Trip%20%20032.jpg

wow l must go there one day

It is worth the effort to get there. It might be more photogenic on a sunny day but this is the way I always think of Doi Inthanon. It took me a while to get this shot as most of the time you couldn’t see a thing. I missed one break in the clouds so had the camera ready when things cleared for a moment before going grey again.

• Like 1

I first came to Chiang Rai on a long tour of the north 25 years ago and fell in love with the place. After being in Thailand for 30 years living in 9 different provinces I am convinced that this is my home for life. I also worked in 30 different countries and never found one I like like this. I live in a walled 5 Rai compound in the foot hills of Doi Hang and am retired at 80. My hobies are vegetable gardening and fish farming. If you are interested in this story read Merchant Of The Orient, An Entrepreneur's Journey in life. I have a few free downloads if you like one mail <removed>

Edited by onthedarkside
email removed as per forum rules - send a PM
  • Like 1

We stayed at Angkhang Nature Resort just outside the park, for the off season rate of 1600 baht. I understand prices go up considerably next month through the peak winter season. Inside the park all the bungalows were full, with what appeared to be Thai families. The day we left, I noticed a group of French tourists had checked in to our hotel. There appeared to be plenty of budget accommodation available, however.

When the temperature dropped to 10c at night it was nice to have the heating pad that is fitted under the linens. It kept us nice and toasty through the night, on a timer.

Trip++003.jpg

Trip++005.jpg

Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Every once in a while I need to visit a place with a wide variety of restaurants and a wide array of places to shop for many things that I can not find here in CR. So, when the urge strikes, it's off to BKK. I've become quite comfortable with the BTS/MRT systems there so getting around is rather easy. I also enjoy the diversity of the characters that inhabit that city. Usually 3 days is all I need and then I am ready for the peace, cooler climate and greenery of CR.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have some favorite spots in Thailand that I go to when I need a break. We have the condo in BKK and in Bang Saray but most often we will go to Kanchanaburi or Chantaburi.

Having lived through burning season a few times in Chiang Mai, I would have to say it just is not that big of a problem for me. One week when it was at its worst I just hopped down to BKK and hung out with friends.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Bali is a good destination. Opposite weather than Thailand, no rain, mild and dry in April-May. Similar cost of food and hotels, and totally different food, culture and environment. Avoid Kuta Beach if you are not a backpacker. Ubud on the hills and Sanur by the beach are the best location close to Depansar, and Lobok is an interesting island to visit for the day. Any more info, e-mail me. If you are in Chiang Rai, ask me for Bali maps.

Flying round trip from Chiang Mai by Air Asia is about 10000THB with a stop in Kuala Lumpur, and not need for a visa.