BANGKOK 26 April 2019 14:38
Sign in to follow this  
george

Thaivisa launches 2nd Generation Forum App for Android phones and tablets

Most crashes occur when exiting a topic, posting a reply or doing an edit. Also did it when going from last page of topic to page one. Occasionally gets stuck when loading a topic.

Good deal. And I just remembered I haven't cleared the App's cache via its Settings or in the Android Applications area since it upgraded itself on 29 Sep. So, I cleared the cache "and data" in the Android Apps Manager, and cleared the cache in the App's Settings. A person shouldn't have to do that with an App's upgrade but we'll see. I cleared everything so to speak....see if that makes the App behave any better because today whether on a Wifi or 3G connection it behaved badly (i.e., crashed a lot).

After about 15 minutes of testing the app after clearing "all three things" it seems to be working better. I've been jumping back and forth between a wifi connection and a 3G connection, closing and opening the app real fast, opening various forum areas, reading some posts, and so far I've only had one crash while closing and then reopening again quickly. But like I said I was opening and closing the app faster than what you would normally do. I'll do more testing tomorrow.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Did more testing today on Wifi and 3G connections today...no problems/crashes on my Samsung S4 running JB 4.2.2. Clearing the Data and Cache in the Android Apps Manager and Reseting the Cache in the ThaiVisa App Settings area seemed to make the S4 happy.

However, can't say the same for my Onda V971 tablet running ICS 4.0.3. Still get plenty of crashes after clearing the Data and two Cache settings. Most crashes seem to occur when exiting a topic, shifting to another forum area, etc. I have a lot of Apps on my tablet and all of them work fine/don't crash (with the exception of the ThaiVisa App). The ThaiVisa App version before its recent 29 Sep tweaks/upgrade was more stable than the current version, at least on my tablet. And the "old" ThaiVisa App old ran just fine on the tablet.

I notice that on the "tablet" when going back and forth between pages or different forums it's not uncommon to actually see the tablet's home screen for a split second almost as if the App is trying to run too fast. Kinda like someone opening and closing the curtains on a window real fast where you can see out the window for a split second. Strange behavior. The new App is definitely faster than the old App...maybe its programming just tries to execute code in a manner that's just too fast for some devices. Although my tablet is a dual core running at 1.2GHz, my Samsung S4 is a octa-core running at 1.6GHz and benchmarks almost three times faster than my tablet. I don't see those brief flashes of the home screen on my S4 as the App jump between areas/pages.

The last 2 days the app for Android gets stuck at trying to connect. If I stop tge from running, then reopen, it works.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

We are expecting an update of the Android App within a few days.

Sorry for the inconvenience, the developers are working on it as we speak.

Thanks again, George.

I am reluctant to post some minor problems, since as my most recent post on this thread, since it isn't completely broken. I just hope it may help in improving the app.