Getting Sober Pinned Thread

Neeranam

I was reading the Getting Sober pinned thread and came across (a post with some inaccuracies -- moderator edit) )

Firstly, AA does not say "Addictions are caused by a disease, a genetic inheritance from birth." They do say that alcohol is a disease, but NOT a genetic inheritance.
Secondly, AA does not say "Everyone who has ever had a drinking problem or drug abuse history must forever maintain complete abstinence from all mood/mind altering substances." AA does say that those suffering from alcoholism can never safely drink again. Not everyone who has ever had a problem with drink.
Thirdly, AA does not say "You are powerless over your addiction. They do say that alcoholics are powerless over alcohol.
There is more misleading things about AA. Does anyone else feel that this should be removed? The poster I remember was very anti AA and has posted this to put people off it.

I agree that the post you mention misrepresented AA teachings (it also seemed like a straight cut and paste) and have deleted it from the pinned thread accordingly. I think the remainder of the thread and its list of resources is fine. Nothing wrong with listing resources that are both 12-step and "other", as long as no misrepresentation is made about what any of them various approaches entail.

I also edited your post above to remove the quotation since leaving it in would seem to perpetuate the problem.