Chiang Mai to curb on 'extortive' Karaoke Bars

webfact

I have posted before on this very topic, it is all very true. There are several very dubious kareoke bars down Chang Klan road. I got burnt and have vowed never to return to any of those bars. Luckily my burn was more like a singe compared to others.

Even after I turned down offers to use their kareoke machines and other 'accessories' my final bill was way over the top. Im just glad I managed to escape without injury. There are far better places in CM to drink and be entertained. I agree with all the warnings given thus far... steer clear of these places.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe he should order the closure of government sites too. Dual pricing is as bad as extorting money in a bar. The governor probably has a good explanation why it is not done to charge a foreigner 10 times the price of a beer of that of a Thai customer but why it is acceptable to charge 10 times the entrance fee of a National parc or waterfall, even when a foreigner has a Thai tax card.

The difference here is that the prices are quite clearly marked for the customer to see before they go in. If you make the bars do the same thing that might help but a clip joint is the same the world over. If you must be suckered in then at least make sure you go in mob handed.

yes, it's one of the most dangerous places in CM. I've never been inside, but you see them enough and it's fairly obvious not to go inside. I was lucky not to be in my 20's at the time, since it is much harder to think rationally at night. coffee1.gif $300 USD rip-off can easily make CM expensive for some, which is funny since they come here because it's cheap. anyhow, not good when foreigners are supporting the mafia. would you give money to the mob back home? not willing.

*my advice: no matter what, don't fight back, pay all you can, even if 20,000 baht, and get out safely. don't worry about feeling like a sucker; worry about your health first.

I'm confused. Why could the young man not go straight to a police station and explain the problem regarding his friend still back at the bar and that they are being charged 10,000 baht for only 4 beer? And, let the police know that the two young men will report this extortion to the local newspaper if the police won't do anything about their problem.. What am I missing?

What are you missing, you ask? The whole point is what you're missing.

Are you just pretending to be naiive or are your really naiive?

You are joking, right?

Never go to these places unless you want to spend 10000 thb for 2 small drinks. Oh sorry after alcohol tax went up 2 weeks ago it might be 15000 thb

You would have to be a complete retard to pay 10K or 15K for two small drinks at any bar in Chiang Mai - it simply does not happen! Yes you can get ripped off, but only if you are too stupid to be let out on your own.

Chiang Mai is one of the easiest places for a beer, if you don't like it, pay the bill and go elsewhere, if you get stitched up here then you are pretty easy meat - you will get ripped off by the whores in Trumpton or Camberwick Green!

You haven't got a clue what you are talking about mate...

The year before last, a friend and I decided that we fancied another drink after a bar we were in had closed for the night. Stupidly, we asked a tuk-tuk driver where there were places that were still open (it was just after midnight).

We ended up in the Loh Kroh/Chiang Klan area at a karaoke bar a few minutes later and duly wondered inside. I looked at a menu and we ordered a bottle of whisky (1200 bht on the menu) and some mixers, when 2 girls decided they wanted to join us to 'serve drinks' (they said 200 bht each, plus a drink for both of them). After a glass of whisky/soda we decided that we didn't want to stay and I asked for the bill (expecting it to be about 2000 baht, maybe a bit more?) - it came back at 14000 baht...!! Somewhat surprised, I told them they had the wrong bill and sent it back. The manageress then came in to 'speak' to us....

To cut a long story short, they then realised that my Thai wasn't actually that bad and had figured out what was going on (they were trying to royally stitch us up). I had also managed to call the police after the manageress said she would too!? Before I even knew what was happening, 3 Thai guys had punched my friend to the floor and were kicking him in the head. I ran over, managed to pull 2 of them off and get him up (absolutely covered in blood).

Thankfully, the police who I had called then showed up just before the police "friends" of the manageress. They calmed the Thais down and we ended up at the hospital - my friend being treated for a large gash in his head (8 stitches) and multiple bruises, and me with a large chunk having been bitten (yes, bitten) out of my chest.

We filed a report at the police station, but were told that it was probably a 'misunderstanding' on our part (it definitely wasn't)!? Nothing more ever came of it in the end, but we certainly learnt a lesson!

Stay WELL away from these Karaoke bars if you don't want something similar happening to you...! The only good thing, was that we didn't end up paying a penny to the bar.

I see these bars in Loh Kroh/Chiang Klan area are promoted by such things as Chiangmai City Life and the Chiangmai travel guide as places for tourists to go. They apparently offer warm friendly environment to relax and enjoy a drink with great service.

are we not allowed to see the names of these 7 bars? im not too worried as i cant stand karaoke and i wont go anywhere near 1 so ill probably be ok but if my lot are out on the lash in CM it would be handy to know where to drag them away from as they need shepparding after the 15th beer or so.....

my normal experience of a CM bar is this;

"welcome inside, you want some drink?"

"yes please, ill have a san miguel"

"you buy me drink too?"

"eh? i just got here, youre supposed to say, what your name, where you come from, how long your holiday in thailand? and then i decide if im buying you a drink or not!"

girl bangs san mig down on bar and storms off back out the front with all the other miserable bints to smoke another cigarette and fumble with her phone.

does anyone know any nice bars in CM?

Any place you see girls sitting on bar stools on the side of the road in short skin tight mini skirts. (except loy kroh)

Chang Klan road has about 5 of them and easily noticeable after 7pm

yes, it's one of the most dangerous places in CM. I've never been inside, but you see them enough and it's fairly obvious not to go inside. I was lucky not to be in my 20's at the time, since it is much harder to think rationally at night. coffee1.gif $300 USD rip-off can easily make CM expensive for some, which is funny since they come here because it's cheap. anyhow, not good when foreigners are supporting the mafia. would you give money to the mob back home? not willing.

*my advice: no matter what, don't fight back, pay all you can, even if 20,000 baht, and get out safely. don't worry about feeling like a sucker; worry about your health first.

I agree. But in my one experience i found that you can haggle. If they are asking for 20000 see if they will take 12000. And say "krup" a lot. I am not kidding. I find that Thai people have sensitive egos. And kicking someone's ass requires work. So if you are nice you might be able to get them to come down.... 30%. Maybe? You see I knew the deal. My spidey sense was tingling. I knew that i wasn't in the CM that I was accustomed to and on dangerous ground. Yes, I haggled. But I paid. Now I am still healthy and wiser.

Never go to these places unless you want to spend 10000 thb for 2 small drinks. Oh sorry after alcohol tax went up 2 weeks ago it might be 15000 thb

You would have to be a complete retard to pay 10K or 15K for two small drinks at any bar in Chiang Mai - it simply does not happen! Yes you can get ripped off, but only if you are too stupid to be let out on your own.

Chiang Mai is one of the easiest places for a beer, if you don't like it, pay the bill and go elsewhere, if you get stitched up here then you are pretty easy meat - you will get ripped off by the whores in Trumpton or Camberwick Green!

You haven't got a clue what you are talking about mate...

The year before last, a friend and I decided that we fancied another drink after a bar we were in had closed for the night. Stupidly, we asked a tuk-tuk driver where there were places that were still open (it was just after midnight).

We ended up in the Loh Kroh/Chiang Klan area at a karaoke bar a few minutes later and duly wondered inside. I looked at a menu and we ordered a bottle of whisky (1200 bht on the menu) and some mixers, when 2 girls decided they wanted to join us to 'serve drinks' (they said 200 bht each, plus a drink for both of them). After a glass of whisky/soda we decided that we didn't want to stay and I asked for the bill (expecting it to be about 2000 baht, maybe a bit more?) - it came back at 14000 baht...!! Somewhat surprised, I told them they had the wrong bill and sent it back. The manageress then came in to 'speak' to us....

To cut a long story short, they then realised that my Thai wasn't actually that bad and had figured out what was going on (they were trying to royally stitch us up). I had also managed to call the police after the manageress said she would too!? Before I even knew what was happening, 3 Thai guys had punched my friend to the floor and were kicking him in the head. I ran over, managed to pull 2 of them off and get him up (absolutely covered in blood).

Thankfully, the police who I had called then showed up just before the police "friends" of the manageress. They calmed the Thais down and we ended up at the hospital - my friend being treated for a large gash in his head (8 stitches) and multiple bruises, and me with a large chunk having been bitten (yes, bitten) out of my chest.

We filed a report at the police station, but were told that it was probably a 'misunderstanding' on our part (it definitely wasn't)!? Nothing more ever came of it in the end, but we certainly learnt a lesson!

Stay WELL away from these Karaoke bars if you don't want something similar happening to you...! The only good thing, was that we didn't end up paying a penny to the bar.

Yes that is how I got there by asking a darn Tuk Tuk driver. This is a good description of how they sucker you in by telling you a reasonable price at first. Actually my experience wasn't all that bad in comparison to some of the stories here including yours. I think I dodged a bullet. I am glad i just paid. God I hate hospitals. After reading your story i feel that it could have been worse. I hope you and your friend recovered nicely.

I see these bars in Loh Kroh/Chiang Klan area are promoted by such things as Chiangmai City Life and the Chiangmai travel guide as places for tourists to go. They apparently offer warm friendly environment to relax and enjoy a drink with great service.

It just goes to prove that you cant believe everything you read.....

sure they may offer a warm friendly environment, which lasts until you receive your very generous 'check bill'. Then its a very 'cut throat' environment.

Once bitten, twice shy wink.png

• 1 month later...

thanks for posting this thai visa thumbsup.gif

i was just in Chiang Mai last week, and nearly walked in to one of these establishments. when i got to the front something seemed a little suss, i kept asking the pretty girls what the prices were and she said she wouldn't tell me until i walked inside. thats when i knew something was up and high tailed it. now after reading this thread im so glad i didnt walk in

don't all the bars charge double and triple the price of a beer than you could buy at say Tesco. I don't go to bars as a rule maybe 3 times per year when friends come over. Much cheaper and safer to do your drinking at home. I guess as more and more tourists come to Chiangmai to avoid places like Pattaya and Phuket then the scams and criminal element will follow them.

Nothing wrong with that; happens all over the world.

It may well happen all over the World but that doesn't make it right. Murders happen all over the World too.

10,000 baht for 2 beers as mentioned above is clearly criminal. But charging double or triple the price for a beer than what they cost at a Tesco is a different matter entirely. That might be a higher mark-up than average for Chiang Mai but it is hardly criminal. It's not reasonable to expect bars to sell beers at the same price as what grocery stores sell them for. Some might do it during happy hours and other promotions, but businesses need to have some markup on something if they hope to make a profit.

I'm confused. Why could the young man not go straight to a police station and explain the problem regarding his friend still back at the bar and that they are being charged 10,000 baht for only 4 beer? And, let the police know that the two young men will report this extortion to the local newspaper if the police won't do anything about their problem.. What am I missing?

What are you missing, you ask? The whole point is what you're missing.

Are you just pretending to be naiive or are your really naiive?

You are joking, right?

No he's new here and needs time to get to know the ropes.

The original post is very, very old news. And the problem will continue.

There are some places, indeed, with extortionate prices which prey upon the innocent. So, if you are a fool, go to such places. Enjoy yourself !

About pricing? Yes, often foreigners are charged more than people who live here, especially in places which have been mentioned! Is this a surprise? What planet do you come from ?! But most places do not !!

• 2 weeks later...

?????? A bit negative, are we?

Definately not negative.....these places are dangerous...!

I have experience with inflated prices at these places, but have never been strong armed.

When there was a problem it was a problem with people I was with ordering too much and not realizing the food was much more then they were used to paying.

Not really the establishments fault.

I wonder how many people ask for a drink menu before they order something? Not many in my experience.

Most people simply walk into a bar, are asked what they will have and order drinks, then chat up the girls. It can be a bummer to act like a cheap charlie and bring up prices when your having fun. That beer could be 50 baht or 500, the venue can set prices however they want even if it's an unfair price compared to other venues or a 7-11.

• 5 months later...

Chiang Mai has a positive reputation for bars except the ‘beautiful women’ type of Karaoke bars. Never go into one. The police will not help. You cannot leave for less than 20k. The bars in the Loi Kroh Entertainment Complex are ok but one has many hill tribe girls that you need to be a little careful. The Queen/Queen bar is has the best pool table in town and beer pong. Great staff.

This will probably go down like the Pattaya Jet Ski crack down... it will never happen, and for obvious reasons.

The hotter the girls outside, the bigger the trap. I wouldn't go into one of those places without a hand gun and a few hand grenades.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a little confusing.. I thought the main issue was with the flashier establishments such as those on Chang Klan and Chiang Mai Land.

The place pictured (and also referred to in the text as 'street side bars') does not seem to be a category that's particularly likely to be a scam place. I visit those on occasion and they tend to be very reasonably priced, with mostly Thai clientele.

Especially as it states quite clearly over the bar pictured that three Leo beers cost 149 Baht....

Not to mention 3 large beer Chang for 139bht.

Most people simply walk into a bar, are asked what they will have and order drinks, then chat up the girls. It can be a bummer to act like a cheap charlie and bring up prices when your having fun. That beer could be 50 baht or 500, the venue can set prices however they want even if it's an unfair price compared to other venues or a 7-11.

I'm really cheap then, I usually say "promotion arai bang kap", "please list your special offers"

• 6 months later...

The 7 Karaokes in Changklan road are a syndicate. all the same owner. There is one site used for keeping the cash and I guess all the heavies hang out there waiting for a call. These Karaokes have put thousands of tourists in hospital. The Governor will not be targeting them for sure... he would be assassinated.

I have seen the damage caused by these places.. broken jaws, missing teeth etc.

The biggest bill ...48200B for one man 2 hours.

I'm still surprised no one has gone back gone nutters with a shotgun.

The bars in LoiKroh are mostly harmless by comparison, as said before, don't use check bins.

.Warning. . . An Aussie had $200 stolen from his wallet in a massage at the top of LoiKroh yesterday.

. . . .he says he went to sleep........Silly man didn't contact the Police.

The bars in LoiKroh are mostly harmless by comparison, as said before, don't use check bins.

.Warning. . . An Aussie had $200 stolen from his wallet in a massage at the top of LoiKroh yesterday.

Best advice, don't go into a massage shop with more than 1000B in your wallet.

I've got a mate who's had his pocket picked four times last year, admittedly when slightly tiddly, and the only thing he could find in common from all the nights was a visit to a bar beginning with an M and ending in an A.

I'll leave you to work it out, lest the bad news bears jump all over me for being libellous.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a mate who's had his pocket picked four times last year, admittedly when slightly tiddly, and the only thing he could find in common from all the nights was a visit to a bar beginning with an M and ending in an A.

I'll leave you to work it out, lest the bad news bears jump all over me for being libellous.

One of those LB bars in the shed of shame. near the ring (so to speak).

One of those LB bars in the shed of shame. near the ring (so to speak).

Methinks you would be wrong here...Only one that springs to my mind as The M@@@@a Bar which is down the other end of Loi Kroh from your joint (nearest moat)......and seems to have the same flag as yours festooned...It is a grotty place and the women (not girls) not much better. You would have to be more than half cut to go in there in the first place.

Not a place I frequent I can assure you smile.png

I'm still trying to work out how drunk you would have to be to fall into that place when there are better alternatives within falling distance.

It really has to be the worse bar on the strip....by far.....Its so bad it makes everything that Bettlejuice says about Loi Kroh have credibility sad.png

Archived