Italian runs from Thai girlfriend, arrested in Phuket for two year overstay

webfact

If I had little money and was on long-term overstay, I wouldn't be heading for Phuket. It seems as if busting foreigners on overstay is top priority there and spot-checking of passports is de rigeur. Not carrying one seems to be a big deal and reason for arrest or further pavement detention. I have never seen this happen here in Chonburi.

So, on reflection, even though I have got lots of money and am not on overstay, I won't be going to Phuket anyway as I would rather not be hassled by the uber-corrupt cops for no reason.

Thank-you for sharing a wealth of informationclap2.gif

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sad the way they have made him hold a placard as if he is some big criminal or murderer. As it is, the guy has lost whatever he had. They could have been more humane and given him a wash and a hot meal and deported him in due course.

Thai BIB being humane to anyone, particularly a foreigner...thats a laugh

No excuse for it, he should of done something then

Get all the facts first, then judge if you must!

Fact: He arrived in May 2011

Fact: He was overstay as of the end on June 2011

No excuse!

Should he be highlighted with the picture: Probably not

Did he break the law: YES

What's to judge? He is guilty!

• Like 2

No excuse for it, he should of done something then

Get all the facts first, then judge if you must!

Fact: He arrived in May 2011

Fact: He was overstay as of the end on June 2011

No excuse!

Should he be highlighted with the picture: Probably not

Did he break the law: YES

What's to judge? He is guilty!

LOL. Discussion going on quite humorous.

• Like 1

Maybe this is a matter of thai coppery getting even for that police atm extortion thing up in Bangkok a few weeks ago. (Italians were the victims).

Still. Overstay? Just don't. The world's just full of people blaming everyone else for their own mistakes and miscalculations, and too often getting away with it.

oh well if the police were running with the same energy after rich murderers who fled to S'pore or Dubai , Thailand would be heaven ..... I feel pitty for that guy , how could he survive for 2 years like this ? and for his passport , he could go to the Italian embassy and pretend it was stolen and got a new one .... all this is strange .....

2 years in Issan and then the money ran out and ..........

Its not strange at all - Phuket Immigration clearly targeting only non Asian foreigners so anyone looking like he was will instantly draw attention to himself.

Yes what about the 1000's of Burmese that are here, do they all have Visas! Remember what TAT says this is Amazing Thailand.

Of course they dont have visas or work permits etc- but this witch hunt is only after the Farang. They have decided that the western foreigner is the root of all Phukets problems.

Burmese are Farang -- do you mean westerners or caucasian?

His girlfriend probably chucked him out as he has no money, with money most Isarn girls will love you. I do feel sorry for people like him but most Thais don't give a s..t if a foreigner is broke. There again so many of the Thais don't have money but they do seem to take care of each if even to share a room etc. Thailand really needs to do more to help people down on their luck, most of them have given away fortunes to Thai hookers from Isarn so they deserve some respect and some funds allocated back to them in terms of a room and trying to find out what skills they have to get a job, not just being checked out. Sadly though it all comes down to MONEY this is what most countries do if you are caught overstaying.

Thailand is already helping injured tourists who are too tight,dumb or just don't give a toss,and you want Thailand to look after mongers with no sense.By the way not all hookers come from Issarn and most blokes hand the cash over willingly.Respect,lol.Aretha had a lot more idea of respect than you ever will.

Its not strange at all - Phuket Immigration clearly targeting only non Asian foreigners so anyone looking like he was will instantly draw attention to himself.

Yes what about the 1000's of Burmese that are here, do they all have Visas! Remember what TAT says this is Amazing Thailand.

Of course they dont have visas or work permits etc- but this witch hunt is only after the Farang. They have decided that the western foreigner is the root of all Phukets problems.

Right now, yes it seems as if they're really cracking down on western foreigners who have overstayed. However, I've seen police stopping the big trucks full of burmese workers many times, usually up near the Heroine's Monument.

In response to Most Issan Girls are after money....

TBH, I think most people know this too, you should pretend you have less money than you have then the people who are after your money usually will disappear unless ofcourse they find out that you have money again.

Nobody, unless ofcourse you are really wealthy can deal with the constant demands of people trying to get money from you left right and center because they are too bone idle to work

I can.Said no a lot in the early days and nobody hits me up now.When you get called kee nee ow,just agree,and tell em get a job.It's a try on,just say no,with a smile.Wealthy people are wealthy because they know how to say no.

• Like 1

Burmese people may be refo's or on work visa.

What are those 4 Muppet's looking so pleased about

That they were able to belittle a foreigner by making him hold a board to give an impression he's a criminal.

Why they don't look more in their own ranks.

Well,with 1 year 11 months overstay what would you call him.Bludgers like this make it harder for the ligit blokes.

• Like 1

Burmese are Farang -- do you mean westerners or caucasian?

Burmese are not Farang - and never referred to by Thai people as so -

His girlfriend probably chucked him out as he has no money, with money most Isarn girls will love you. I do feel sorry for people like him but most Thais don't give a s..t if a foreigner is broke. There again so many of the Thais don't have money but they do seem to take care of each if even to share a room etc. Thailand really needs to do more to help people down on their luck, most of them have given away fortunes to Thai hookers from Isarn so they deserve some respect and some funds allocated back to them in terms of a room and trying to find out what skills they have to get a job, not just being checked out. Sadly though it all comes down to MONEY this is what most countries do if you are caught overstaying.

So nice to read some positive feedback. Truer words are hardly spoken on this site, it's mostly bashing against another who has fallen on their luck, simple as that. For those that think it will never happen to them; wishful thinking in this land of opportunity anything is possible.

When we think we have figured out the system or the gals, they both change up on the angle for which it was before.

oh well if the police were running with the same energy after rich murderers who fled to S'pore or Dubai , Thailand would be heaven ..... I feel pitty for that guy , how could he survive for 2 years like this ? and for his passport , he could go to the Italian embassy and pretend it was stolen and got a new one .... all this is strange .....

2 years in Issan and then the money ran out and ..........

"2 years in Issan and then the money ran out and ......." - and the she kicked him out. :)

What are those 4 Muppet's looking so pleased about

That they were able to belittle a foreigner by making him hold a board to give an impression he's a criminal.

Why they don't look more in their own ranks.

Well,with 1 year 11 months overstay what would you call him.Bludgers like this make it harder for the ligit blokes.

I would call him an overstayer, but definitely not a criminal. If so, Europe and the UK especially must be flooded with criminals.

I have a question for any member that may know.

Some overstayers, when caught, simply pull out the ATM card, pay the 20,000 baht fine, buy themselves an air ticket, and away they go.

Some overstayers, when caught, have money sent by family or friends back home to cover the fine and airfare, and away they go.

My question is, if someone is broke, and has no family to send money, or family who refuse to send money, how many days in "the monkey house" cuts out the 20,000 baht fine, if in fact, it does, and who pays for the airfare.

Does one's Embassy assist, financially, with these cases?

Can an overstayer be in gaol, indefinately, until the 20,000 baht and airfare is raised?

Does anyone have any information on cases like these?

I have a question for any member that may know.

Some overstayers, when caught, simply pull out the ATM card, pay the 20,000 baht fine, buy themselves an air ticket, and away they go.

Some overstayers, when caught, have money sent by family or friends back home to cover the fine and airfare, and away they go.

My question is, if someone is broke, and has no family to send money, or family who refuse to send money, how many days in "the monkey house" cuts out the 20,000 baht fine, if in fact, it does, and who pays for the airfare.

Does one's Embassy assist, financially, with these cases?

Can an overstayer be in gaol, indefinately, until the 20,000 baht and airfare is raised?

Does anyone have any information on cases like these?

The fine applies when the overstayers hand themselves in and then are free to fly home because the overstayer is at a border checkpoint. The immigration officers are just applying the law. The difference is when a person gets caught on the street and then they are in a world of crap

The find is 500 Baht per day.

Oouch, that's gonna hurt if added up.

Correct but only upto a maximum ot 20,000 baht...the poor bloke looks like he's been doing it tough to be honest..

Anything for a photo trophy these blokes..and they think this is the answer to cleaning up crime in Phuket?<deleted>...

Would someone please enlighten me.

If a person is picked up, such as this, and tells the muppets to shove their photo opportunity into an orifice not normally associated with verbal communication, what would be the result.

No I'm not up for deportation, nor have I done anything that warrants arrest (that I know of) but it just annoys me that people sit there with these morons when the happy snaps start.

• Like 1

Correct but only upto a maximum ot 20,000 baht...the poor bloke looks like he's been doing it tough to be honest..

Anything for a photo trophy these blokes..and they think this is the answer to cleaning up crime in Phuket?<deleted>...

When caught on overstay, and have to appear for a judge, the fine is most of the time far less than the 20.000 Baht maximum fine. However they will have to stay in the immigration jail until the flight leaves for which they purchased a ticket. My understanding is that they will also need help from outside to purchase the ticket, as obvious they can't go for that themselves, and the immigration will not assist.

• Like 1

Would someone please enlighten me.

If a person is picked up, such as this, and tells the muppets to shove their photo opportunity into an orifice not normally associated with verbal communication, what would be the result.

No I'm not up for deportation, nor have I done anything that warrants arrest (that I know of) but it just annoys me that people sit there with these morons when the happy snaps start.

It probably wont help when you appear in front of the local beak without this photo

So his embassy will get him on a flight out this week. Not a big deal. It is only a big deal for people from third world countries who do not get any help. I have seen Palestinians in jail literally for years.

When caught on overstay, and have to appear for a judge, the fine is most of the time far less than the 20.000 Baht maximum fine. However they will have to stay in the immigration jail until the flight leaves for which they purchased a ticket. My understanding is that they will also need help from outside to purchase the ticket, as obvious they can't go for that themselves, and the immigration will not assist.