Italian runs from Thai girlfriend, arrested in Phuket for two year overstay

webfact

I have a question for any member that may know.

Some overstayers, when caught, simply pull out the ATM card, pay the 20,000 baht fine, buy themselves an air ticket, and away they go.

Some overstayers, when caught, have money sent by family or friends back home to cover the fine and airfare, and away they go.

My question is, if someone is broke, and has no family to send money, or family who refuse to send money, how many days in "the monkey house" cuts out the 20,000 baht fine, if in fact, it does, and who pays for the airfare.

Does one's Embassy assist, financially, with these cases?

Can an overstayer be in gaol, indefinately, until the 20,000 baht and airfare is raised?

Does anyone have any information on cases like these?

The fine applies when the overstayers hand themselves in and then are free to fly home because the overstayer is at a border checkpoint. The immigration officers are just applying the law. The difference is when a person gets caught on the street and then they are in a world of crap

Ok, so, a guy like this is "in a world of crap" but, is he criminally charged and sentenced? What about the airfare money.

The question I'm asking is, since you can't get blood out of a stone, so to speak, what becomes of the overstayers in this situation?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The find is 500 Baht per day.

Oouch, that's gonna hurt if added up.

someone told me that the fine is limited to a maximum of 20,000 BHT. is that true?

Ignore please -- seems to be answered already. I just hadn't read all the way down. Apols!

Edited by itsrebel

Some overstayers, when caught, simply pull out the ATM card, pay the 20,000 baht fine, buy themselves an air ticket, and away they go.

Some overstayers, when caught, have money sent by family or friends back home to cover the fine and airfare, and away they go.

My question is, if someone is broke, and has no family to send money, or family who refuse to send money, how many days in "the monkey house" cuts out the 20,000 baht fine, if in fact, it does, and who pays for the airfare.

Can an overstayer be in gaol, indefinately, until the 20,000 baht and airfare is raised?

The fine applies when the overstayers hand themselves in and then are free to fly home because the overstayer is at a border checkpoint. The immigration officers are just applying the law. The difference is when a person gets caught on the street and then they are in a world of crap

Ok, so, a guy like this is "in a world of crap" but, is he criminally charged and sentenced? What about the airfare money.

The question I'm asking is, since you can't get blood out of a stone, so to speak, what becomes of the overstayers in this situation?

I think they contact the person's embassy and the embassy pays for the ticket. The home government later takes the money back once the person reaches home. On most visa, passport forms there is a column asking if the government has ever paid for your deportation or some such.

I think they contact the person's embassy and the embassy pays for the ticket. The home government later takes the money back once the person reaches home. On most visa, passport forms there is a column asking if the government has ever paid for your deportation or some such.

Ok. What about the sentence/fine?

Obviously, if he is sentenced, he does the time, but what if he is fined, and obviously can't pay it. Does one day in gaol equal 100 baht, or similar?

Does "time" decrease the fine until it's zero?

Obviously, if he is sentenced, he does the time, but what if he is fined, and obviously can't pay it. Does one day in gaol equal 100 baht, or similar?

No it would have to be opposite in Thailand I think gaol would be a user pays system

No it would have to be opposite in Thailand I think gaol would be a user pays system

From what I understand, there is no official sentence involved. They just keep you there till you have paid your fine. But they will not help you in any way. That is what I read on a law firm's website just now. It is up to you to get in touch with someone outside who will help you pay the fine and for your ticket. I guess if you have no friends or anyone else to help you, you can always call your embassy - they are pretty much duty bound to get you out and send you home.

Ok.  What about the sentence/fine? 

Obviously, if he is sentenced, he does the time, but what if he is fined, and obviously can't pay it.  Does one day in gaol equal 100 baht, or similar? 

From what I understand, there is no official sentence involved. They just keep you there till you have paid your fine. But they will not help you in any way. That is what I read on a law firm's website just now. It is up to you to get in touch with someone outside who will help you pay the fine and for your ticket. I guess if you have no friends or anyone else to help you, you can always call your embassy - they are pretty much duty bound to get you out and send you home. 

They wont pay for air tickets though. If embassies paid for everyone that spent all their money in foreign countries it would be setting a standard. People would be more carefree

They wont pay for air tickets though. If embassies paid for everyone that spent all their money in foreign countries it would be setting a standard. People would be more carefree

I think they have to. If the person can't pay for his ticket and knows no one who can, the embassy has to. At the end of the day, they are responsible and liable for their citizens in a foreign country. They obviously get the money back when the person reaches home.

Ok.  What about the sentence/fine? 

Obviously, if he is sentenced, he does the time, but what if he is fined, and obviously can't pay it.  Does one day in gaol equal 100 baht, or similar? 

I think they have to. If the person can't pay for his ticket and knows no one who can, the embassy has to. At the end of the day, they are responsible and liable for their citizens in a foreign country. They obviously get the money back when the person reaches home.

I am actually certain its the opposite. They will tell you to ring home and get the money

His girlfriend probably chucked him out as he has no money, with money most Isarn girls will love you. I do feel sorry for people like him but most Thais don't give a s..t if a foreigner is broke. There again so many of the Thais don't have money but they do seem to take care of each if even to share a room etc. Thailand really needs to do more to help people down on their luck, most of them have given away fortunes to Thai hookers from Isarn so they deserve some respect and some funds allocated back to them in terms of a room and trying to find out what skills they have to get a job, not just being checked out. Sadly though it all comes down to MONEY this is what most countries do if you are caught overstaying.

im confused. if i give all my money away, why would the thai government be responsible to sort me out again?

why would i "deserve" it?

• Like 1

The find is 500 Baht per day.

Oouch, that's gonna hurt if added up.

someone told me that the fine is limited to a maximum of 20,000 BHT. is that true?

Ignore please -- seems to be answered already. I just hadn't read all the way down. Apols!

Yes, maximum fine is 20,000 baht

thank you!

What are those 4 Muppet's looking so pleased about

Their brilliant detective work cracked the case of the visa overstayer. In years to come they'll be telling their grandchildren about the time they busted this major criminal and got the picture in the news.

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1

Its not strange at all - Phuket Immigration clearly targeting only non Asian foreigners so anyone looking like he was will instantly draw attention to himself.

Yes what about the 1000's of Burmese that are here, do they all have Visas! Remember what TAT says this is Amazing Thailand.

Of course they dont have visas or work permits etc- but this witch hunt is only after the Farang. They have decided that the western foreigner is the root of all Phukets problems.

Not true... I know one of these guys in the photo - these guys are tasked specifically with foreigners. I have another friend in immigration tasked with rounding up other nationalities. Cambodians, Laotians, Burmese are rounded up in the tens and hundreds and transported back to their own neighbouring countries at the expense of the Thai tax payer... I'm told they have usually snuck back into Thailand and are at their job again within a few weeks.

Its a cycle. In many of the cases involving illegal immigrants and labourers there are no Thai's to do the job - without these illegal labourers the businesses would fail, the situation could become worse for both tourists, local Thai's and those illegals looking for work.

The result is a balancing act and not an Anti-Farang witch hunt as some would like to believe... This is what my Thai friends in immigration tell me. As such I'm often sympathetic.

A solution could be to make it more easy to legalise the labourers etc... Opening up the labor office for 1 month a year only to see half your work force disappear once they become legal is not an ideal solution...

But, just because the 100's and 100's of illegals from neighbouring countries don't make the news while one Western Foreigner does reach the news 'We' read does not mean there is any imbalance against Westerners... Far from it... the Guy in the Op was here illegally for 2 years.

Edited by richard_smith237

In response to Most Issan Girls are after money....

TBH, I think most people know this too, you should pretend you have less money than you have then the people who are after your money usually will disappear unless ofcourse they find out that you have money again.

Nobody, unless ofcourse you are really wealthy can deal with the constant demands of people trying to get money from you left right and center because they are too bone idle to work

Aaah great. How would that explain me being happily married for 14 years. Stick your isaan women only like guys with money up your ass.

I hear women in London and new York love paupers also.

• Like 2

Its not strange at all - Phuket Immigration clearly targeting only non Asian foreigners so anyone looking like he was will instantly draw attention to himself.

Yes what about the 1000's of Burmese that are here, do they all have Visas! Remember what TAT says this is Amazing Thailand.

Of course they dont have visas or work permits etc- but this witch hunt is only after the Farang. They have decided that the western foreigner is the root of all Phukets problems.

Not true... I know one of these guys in the photo - these guys are tasked specifically with foreigners. I have another friend in immigration tasked with rounding up other nationalities. Cambodians, Laotians, Burmese are rounded up in the tens and hundreds and transported back to their own neighbouring countries at the expense of the Thai tax payer... I'm told they have usually snuck back into Thailand and are at their job again within a few weeks.

Its a cycle. In many of the cases involving illegal immigrants and labourers there are no Thai's to do the job - without these illegal labourers the businesses would fail, the situation could become worse for both tourists, local Thai's and those illegals looking for work.

The result is a balancing act and not an Anti-Farang witch hunt as some would like to believe... This is what my Thai friends in immigration tell me. As such I'm often sympathetic.

A solution could be to make it more easy to legalise the labourers etc... Opening up the labor office for 1 month a year only to see half your work force disappear once they become legal is not an ideal solution...

But, just because the 100's and 100's of illegals from neighbouring countries don't make the news while one Western Foreigner does reach the news 'We' read does not mean there is any imbalance against Westerners... Far from it... the Guy in the Op was here illegally for 2 years.

Of course they could pay Thais a salary sufficient to get them to do the job....