BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
MikeWill

Martial Arts for girls

What martial art for self defence for girls, and what school in Bangkok would you recommend?

Training can be in Thai or English.

Age group: around 10-12.

Preferred locations: Sathorn-Rama 4 area, Lumpini, Khlong Toey, Nanglinchee Rd, Chan Rd, etc.

martial art is for body exercise, not for self defence. there is specific self-defence training, 'get the job done'. I didn't see open training class for public.

martial art is for body exercise, not for self defence. there is specific self-defence training, 'get the job done'. I didn't see open training class for public.

<deleted> are u talking about? Martial arts are practiced for a variety of reasons: self-defense, competition, physical health, etc.

<snip>

Edited by soundman
No flaming.
  • Like 1

&lt;deleted&gt; are u talking about? Martial arts are practiced for a variety of reasons: self-defense, competition, physical health, etc.

<snip>

agreed, 'martial arts are practiced for a variety of reasons: self-defense, competition, physical health, etc'

not agreed, in the event of 'self-defense', you need a 'killer punch'. martial art helps the physical act though.

Not true, you don't know what you are talking about.

Jiu jitsu is good for girls

&lt;deleted&gt; are u talking about? Martial arts are practiced for a variety of reasons: self-defense, competition, physical health, etc.

<snip>

agreed, 'martial arts are practiced for a variety of reasons: self-defense, competition, physical health, etc'

not agreed, in the event of 'self-defense', you need a 'killer punch'. martial art helps the physical act though.

cheesy.gif

• Like 1

A female fighter, well trained in any martial art, would probably be able to müller just about anyone who wasn't trained, male or female.

If by 'good for girls' you mean a discipline that gives smaller and weaker people a significant force-multiplier against bigger and stronger assailants then I would suggest Aikido and Tai Chi Quan, both of which can be learnt in Bangkok. It's a pity that Krav Maga is only available in Pattaya, as far as I know. It is quick, dirty, very effective and is relatively easy to learn.​

Out of the three mentioned, Tai Chi Quan will probably take longest to reach combat readiness from scratch, but does come with some profound long term benefits for personal health that go far beyond self-defence.

Edited by Trembly
  • Like 1

Rubbish. Why do you think they are called Martial Arts?

Some martial arts focus on the competition aspects and are taught accordingly. Reason being is that's what usually attracts the paying students.

All martial arts have self-defense capability, that's what they were originated and evolved for. Finding a good teacher is what counts.

A female fighter, well trained in any martial art, would probably be able to müller just about anyone who wasn't trained, male or female.

If by 'good for girls' you mean a discipline that gives smaller and weaker people a significant force-multiplier against bigger and stronger assailants then I would suggest Aikido and Tai Chi Quan, both of which can be learnt in Bangkok. It's a pity that Krav Maga is only available in Pattaya, as far as I know. It is quick, dirty, very effective and is relatively easy to learn.​

Out of the three mentioned, Tai Chi Quan will probably take longest to reach combat readiness from scratch, but does come with some profound long term benefits for personal health that go far beyond self-defence.

Good points here from Trembly. My take on a few martial arts:

Aikido - good but flowery. Needs to be studied and practiced well. Not the most practical of martial arts.

Tai Chi - don't be fooled by the slow movements. I've a Taiwanese friend who's practiced for over 30 years - and I wouldn't want to cross him. But takes a long time and much slow careful practice.

Wing Chung Kung &lt;deleted&gt; - excellent street fighting technique. Originally developed by a nun so great for ladies.

Karate - most styles effective. Shotokan, Wado Ryu and Kyokoshinkai are all good but do require physical training more than the above.

Tae Kwon do - a military martial art that has evolved into an olympic sport. This is often reflected in the teaching focuses on entry techniques (scoring points) rather than on the full martial capability. Great for fitness, suppleness and conditioning.

Jiu Jutsu - popular with mixed martial artists. Good for street fighting as includes grappling and locking techniques. Can be a bit rough for girls.

Krav Maga - only seen this in the UK - where it was crap. But, that could be down to the particular instructor.

Muay Thai - a sport - but based on Thai martial arts. Might be worth checking the Thai traditional arts out.

Penjak Silat - Malaysian martial art. Has lock, traps and strikes etc. Good with weapons. All round fighting technique. Very effective but you need to find a good teacher.

I've just skimmed the surface here, based on my personal experiences. But I would suggest you look around. You need to get a feel for the competence and attitude of the instructors, together with how the class is taught. I would suggest you let the girls try different ones to see which they prefer too. My son was mad on Shotokan karate and never wanted to try anything else. May daughter liked Jiu Jitsu, but also played ladies rugby!

Martial Arts are great for children to learn - gives them confidence, self-control, fitness, health and some defense capability. I don't like to see children starting too early but 10-12 is good.

Hope you find something good.

• Like 1

^..

So, where a good teacher could be found?

Depends which style your looking for. And, you need to go and see. Helps if you know what your looking for/at.

Have a look for clubs and go and see them. Take the girls with you too.

Check out the credentials of the teacher - which associations is he/she a member of. Who taught them. Do they have a competition record etc etc.

If the girls are athletic types, dancing, gymnastic, sporty types you might consider Wu Su. That's a very good Chinese martial art and I think there is a club somewhere in central Bkk, but can't remember where.

Edited by Baerboxer

^..

So, where a good teacher could be found?

Depends which style your looking for. And, you need to go and see. Helps if you know what your looking for/at.

Have a look for clubs and go and see them. Take the girls with you too.

Check out the credentials of the teacher - which associations is he/she a member of. Who taught them. Do they have a competition record etc etc.

If the girls are athletic types, dancing, gymnastic, sporty types you might consider Wu Su. That's a very good Chinese martial art and I think there is a club somewhere in central Bkk, but can't remember where.

Wu su is basically 'balletic kung &lt;deleted&gt; interpretation"

It is to Kung &lt;deleted&gt; what Tony Ja is to Muay Thai.

If you were in Hong Kong you could learn some real Ng Si Kai Preying Mantis Kung &lt;deleted&gt; or etc etc bu here in Thailand your best bet is probably Wu style Tai Chi .. . . which is also a form of kung &lt;deleted&gt;.

Edited by Trembly

http://bkkbjj.com/

This would be my choice.

Brazilian jiu jitsu was developed to enable a physically weaker person overcome a stronger opponent. It has proved its worth in the mixed martial arts world by being one of the most used disciplines along with muy Thai.

Sent from my jungle hideout

• Like 1