BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
MikeWill

Martial Arts for girls

^..

So, where a good teacher could be found?

Depends which style your looking for. And, you need to go and see. Helps if you know what your looking for/at.

Have a look for clubs and go and see them. Take the girls with you too.

Check out the credentials of the teacher - which associations is he/she a member of. Who taught them. Do they have a competition record etc etc.

If the girls are athletic types, dancing, gymnastic, sporty types you might consider Wu Su. That's a very good Chinese martial art and I think there is a club somewhere in central Bkk, but can't remember where.

Wu su is basically 'balletic kung <deleted> interpretation"

It is to Kung <deleted> what Tony Ja is to Muay Thai.

If you were in Hong Kong you could learn some real Ng Si Kai Preying Mantis Kung <deleted> or etc etc bu here in Thailand your best bet is probably Wu style Tai Chi .. . . which is also a form of kung <deleted>.

Wu Su competitions can certainly look "balletic" - but that is part of the tests for athletic and physical development and co-ordination. Jet Li and one or two other of the Chinese martial art film stars started with Wu Su. The martial side of it is a bit like Aikido and Jiu Jitsu.

I met a Chinese master of 5 Star Preying Mantis Kung <deleted> many years ago. Very nice guy who'd moved to America and also headed associations in Europe. That was a very popular style at the time. Hong Kong is great for martial arts of course with plenty of styles to choose from,Taiwan and Japan too. Thailand really seems to focus on Muay Thai. There are other styles around but I don't know the quality of the tuition. Tae Kwon do seems popular with the schools and children. Most of the dance and music schools seem to have a TKD class too!

Tai Chi is often taught and practiced in Europe for health rather than self defense and as a martial art. In HK and Taiwan it is taught as a martial art. I have Taiwanese friends who practice daily and have done so for many years. The problem is it takes a lot of time and effort to master basic moves and must be repetitively practices very regularly, really daily. This dedication can be difficult for children.

I had the honour and pleasure to train Wing Chun with Ip Chun over 20 years ago. He always said that if you practice any martial art form for 30 minutes each day, and clear your mind whilst doing so, you would enjoy better physical and mental health.

• Like 1

http://bkkbjj.com/

This would be my choice.

Brazilian jiu jitsu was developed to enable a physically weaker person overcome a stronger opponent. It has proved its worth in the mixed martial arts world by being one of the most used disciplines along with muy Thai.

Sent from my jungle hideout

Incredibly popular in the UAE - they "imported" 50 instructors from Brazil along with their families. MMA has made it very well known. If you combine this with a striking art then you would indeed be well equipped for MMA.

Depends what you want to learn martial arts for, the amount of time you want to train and the effort you want to put in.

They do kids Tae Kwondo on Sathupradit soi 19 near Chan.

There is a big market for Krav Maga in Bangkok but no one appears to teach it anywhere.

They do kids Tae Kwondo on Sathupradit soi 19 near Chan.

There is a big market for Krav Maga in Bangkok but no one appears to teach it anywhere.

Taekwondo on Sathupradit soi 19 - do you have their phone number? Is it easy to find?

BTW, how do you know that there is a big market for Krav Maga in Bangkok, if nobody teaching/learning it?

Taekwondo on Sathupradit soi 19 - do you have their phone number? Is it easy to find?

BTW, how do you know that there is a big market for Krav Maga in Bangkok, if nobody teaching/learning it?

Don't know the phone number. Its under one of the Fortune Condotown buildings, on the same row as Subway, its pretty much opposite the Starbucks.

http://www.soidb.com/bangkok/building/fortune-condotown.html

I don't think it is open all the time, only when there is a class on.

As for KM, I keep running into people who ask about it and there seems to be a few people looking online for it too. I'd wager there were enough people in Bangkok seeking it to fill a few classes a week at least.

This would be my choice.

Brazilian jiu jitsu was developed to enable a physically weaker person overcome a stronger opponent. It has proved its worth in the mixed martial arts world by being one of the most used disciplines along with muy Thai.

BKKBJJ looks interesting. That link you posted put me on a journey through the internet which eventually led me to this :

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy : What is the difference between Gracie Jiu-Jitsu vs. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?

Has anyone ever had any experience with GJJ? It sounds like a good fit for the OP's daughters and I'd be interested in trying it out as well. It's a pity that the nearest certified dojo is in Singapore.

My kids used to do it, my girl now 8yo has a mean punch, gave me a belly ache the other day.

But, it depends 100% on the teachers and their ability to teach.

We had a great teacher in Bkk, but now where we are, they are crap.

This would be my choice.

BKKBJJ looks interesting. That link you posted put me on a journey through the internet which eventually led me to this :

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy : What is the difference between Gracie Jiu-Jitsu vs. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?

Has anyone ever had any experience with GJJ? It sounds like a good fit for the OP's daughters and I'd be interested in trying it out as well. It's a pity that the nearest certified dojo is in Singapore.

The link you've posted does not work.

Don't know the phone number. Its under one of the Fortune Condotown buildings, on the same row as Subway, its pretty much opposite the Starbucks.

http://www.soidb.com/bangkok/building/fortune-condotown.html

I don't think it is open all the time, only when there is a class on.

As for KM, I keep running into people who ask about it and there seems to be a few people looking online for it too. I'd wager there were enough people in Bangkok seeking it to fill a few classes a week at least.

Thank you. I'll try to find it. It should be close by the Central Rama 3 on the way to Makro.

Do you know what time they're open?

This would be my choice.

The link you've posted does not work.

Try this : http://www.gracieacademy.com/news/gjj-vs.-bjj-%E2%80%93-what%E2%80%99s-the-difference.asp

My kids used to do it, my girl now 8yo has a mean punch, gave me a belly ache the other day.

But, it depends 100% on the teachers and their ability to teach.

We had a great teacher in Bkk, but now where we are, they are crap.

Where is that "great teacher in Bkk"?

Can you tell how to find him, phone number?

BTW, what martial art it was/is?

Not sure if my perception is correct, but...it seems to me that JJ (ju jitsu) is more often than not a wrestling on the ground, as oppose to upright fighting, which is more suitable for girls. I want my daughter to be able to punch and kick, rather than grapple.

Furthermore, there is more action (movement) in a stand-up fighting as well.

Not sure if my perception is correct, but...it seems to me that JJ (ju jitsu) is more often than not a wrestling on the ground, as oppose to upright fighting, which is more suitable for girls. I want my daughter to be able to punch and kick, rather than grapple. Furthermore, there is more action (movement) in a stand-up fighting as well.

That's not really the impression I get about GJJ after reading that link and going on youtube.

The nearest GJJ school I was able to find is in Singapore. Not really served us in Bangkok.

And BTW, I've read that article you posted with a great interest (http://www.gracieacademy.com/news/gjj-vs.-bjj-%E2%80%93-what%E2%80%99s-the-difference.asp) and liked it. Especially the part in regards to:

... Gracie Jiu-Jitsu is taught, first and foremost as a system of self-defense, with the objective of giving the student the ability to stay safe and prevail during a real street fight confrontation ...

Edited by MikeWill
  • Like 1

The nearest GJJ I was able to find is in Singapore. Not really served us in Bangkok.

I know . . . Oh well! Here's hoping that it does make it to BKK soon anyway. :)