BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
MikeWill

Martial Arts for girls

The nearest GJJ I was able to find is in Singapore. Not really served us in Bangkok.

And BTW, I've read that article you posted with a great interest (http://www.gracieaca...-difference.asp) and liked it. Especially the part in regards to:

... Gracie Jiu-Jitsu is taught, first and foremost as a system of self-defense, with the objective of giving the student the ability to stay safe and prevail during a real street fight confrontation ...

I know . . . Oh well! Here's hoping that it does make it to BKK soon anyway. smile.png

How soon? Months, Years....

The nearest GJJ I was able to find is in Singapore. Not really served us in Bangkok.

And BTW, I've read that article you posted with a great interest (http://www.gracieaca...-difference.asp) and liked it. Especially the part in regards to:

... Gracie Jiu-Jitsu is taught, first and foremost as a system of self-defense, with the objective of giving the student the ability to stay safe and prevail during a real street fight confrontation ...

I know . . . Oh well! Here's hoping that it does make it to BKK soon anyway. smile.png

How soon? Months, Years....

Who knows? Perhaps GJJ comes to your daughter or perhaps your daughter goes to GJJ. I'm sure that you'll do whatever you're going to do with whatever it is that you've got in the present anyway. wai.gif

Trembly,

You have mentioned GJJ on youtube - do you have a link?

Trembly,

You have mentioned GJJ on youtube - do you have a link?

I just typed "Gracie Jiu Jitsu" into the youtube search.

Videos I've watched so far :

Gracie Jiu Jitsu Vs. Bodybuilder

BJJ Vs Kung <deleted>, Judo, Kenpo Karate & Hapkido. (Original quality)

Street Jiu-Jitsu vs. Sport Jiu-Jitsu

I found the last two videos to be particularly interesting, although I've yet to see a video that shows a JJ practitioner of any school take on a group of thugs in a real or near as possible situation.

Not having done JJ, all I can say is I'm not ready to completely discount kicks and strikes yet but I think I'd concede that in the vast majority of real world situations (rapists and other types of baddies don't necessarily work in gangs) street JJ or GJJ would keep you safe or allow you to deal with the threat and walk away on your own terms.

I think it's worth noting that GJJ was formulated by a man of very slight build, in a country where a lot of people are pretty big.

Whatever which way, learning GJJ seems like time well spent to me. I'd certainly give it a go.

Edited by Trembly

We have JKD / Kali classes in Silom Road area. Classes are fun and coach attributes useful for fighting. Self defence is another matter, more of a mindset and attitude / awareness thing. We can help in that respect too if that is important.

Our youngest student has been 15, classes could perhaps be adapted for younger students.

PM me for more info.

Not sure if my perception is correct, but...it seems to me that JJ (ju jitsu) is more often than not a wrestling on the ground, as oppose to upright fighting, which is more suitable for girls. I want my daughter to be able to punch and kick, rather than grapple. Furthermore, there is more action (movement) in a stand-up fighting as well.

Wrong perception

The teacher and the students aptitude for the art are really important.

I have studied JJ 10 years, Wing Chun 10 years and had the honour of training with both Ip Chun and Ip Ching, western boxing, muay Thai, krav, Karate (shotokan)...which I hated.

Wing Chun is good for girls, but you might not find a good teacher here. JuJitsu is excellent very good for fitness and most fights end on the ground. Western Boxing also very good. But, you are in Thailand and on balance the opportunity to learn Muay Thai in it's country of origin must not be passed up.

A good MT fighter will flatten a good TKD, Karate, or Kung <deleted> guy 8 times out of 10.....hate to say that coz I love my Wing Chun but probably true.

Find a really good teacher...rule number 1.

Sent from my SGP321 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

watched euro k1 qual fights some compeditors had karate background and were using techniques needed to be used by farang to win against thai muay thai comps eg jumping knee upper body muay thai style predictable speed and variation is the key breaking the centerline and lo kicks from cocko

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

agood karate fighter could flatten a muay thai fighter because karate has hundreds of tecniques muay thai about twenty thais win because rules and judges control outcome for there own reasons a ko is imperative for foreiner to win cocko. Martial arts were devised to kill an enemy not for exercise. in reply to uninformed post

what planet are you from devised for max injury and death in original forms tkd 2000 yr old martial art to kick mongol warriors off horses then use weapon or killing technique

I've trained in 5 martial arts systems over the last 35 years ( Yep I'm 48 now..old and fat lol) and would say that Thai Boxing is the most effective if you train properly.

This is down to the physical fitness you need to attain before getting into the ring.

The weapons are not hard to master( Knee/Elbow/Punch/Kick) but you are drilled so thoroughly that you can do it in your sleep.

I've also trained in Judo/TKD/Lau Gar Kung <deleted> and Freestyle Karate.

They are all great for fitness and flexibility/discipline but the Muay Thai training turns you into a proper full contact fighter who can take

a proper punch as well as deliver one.

For a 10-12 year old girl I would not recommend Muay Thai or BJJ, but judo or TKD would be a place to start.

I think BJJ is a fantastic Martial Art but you will find it hard to get real licensed instructors.

Even in the UK there is a real shortage and quite a few have been uncovered as novices pretending to be red belts.

Edited by chonabot
  • Like 2

a good karate fighter could flatten a muay thai fighter because karate has hundreds of tecniques muay thai about twenty thais win because rules and judges control outcome for there own reasons a ko is imperative for foreiner to win cocko. Martial arts were devised to kill an enemy not for exercise. in reply to uninformed post

I disagree, having trained in both styles for quite some time.

Yes, Karate has a myriad of kicks and punches not to mention the sweeps.

Muay Thai has only a few primary moves but the fighter will usually have trained 3 or 4 hours per day and will know these inside out.

Most Karate practitioners will not be able to deal with a low roundhouse kick let alone an elbow to the face.

This is no slur on the various Karate styles, but the training involved is the difference.

How many Karate camps are there in the world, where fighters eat, sleep,live and breath the art 24/7?

ps. There are actually hundreds of other MT secondary moves that are learned for self defense outside the ring.

• Like 2

Good points Chonabot.

For many mere mortals, however, having the physical conditioning almost as a pre-requesite is just too high a barrier to participation.

I for example would happily forego the sport aspect, do less conditioning and more 'illegal' moves. The technical interest and knowing that I'd be safe against the vast majority of people who may want to do me harm in certain situations is more than enough to keep me interested without competing or living and breathing it in a camp 24/7.

I've started doing yoga to get my flexibility back and when it does come back I'm thinking of checking these guys out : http://www.samkhum.com/en/

I have a friend who was an instructor there for many years who says that this particular gym is much less about sport Muay Thai (and the serious body conditioning that comes with it) and more about ending-the-fight-as-soon-as-possible Muay Thai, sometimes with moves that would simply be illegal in the ring.

Edited by Trembly
  • Like 1

Good points Chonabot.

For many mere mortals, however, having the physical conditioning almost as a pre-requesite is just too high a barrier to participation.

I for example would happily forego the sport aspect, do less conditioning and more 'illegal' moves. The technical interest and knowing that I'd be safe against the vast majority of people who may want to do me harm in certain situations is more than enough to keep me interested without competing or living and breathing it in a camp 24/7.

I've started doing yoga to get my flexibility back and when it does come back I'm thinking of checking these guys out : http://www.samkhum.com/en/

I have a friend who was an instructor there for many years who says that this particular gym is much less about sport Muay Thai (and the serious body conditioning that comes with it) and more about ending-the-fight-as-soon-as-possible Muay Thai, sometimes with moves that would simply be illegal in the ring.

Good idea there Trembly :)

I was lucky enough to meet Panya Kraitus about 15 years ago and attended a seminar/training session where he went over the moves you are talking about. Luckily I have never had to use them but they certainly would end a fight pretty damn quickly.

Here is a link to his book, I'd definitely recommend it to any martial artist who wanted to learn more about Muay Thai in general.

http://www.dcothai.com/product_info.php?products_id=186

• Like 1