BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
lovinglifeinthailand

first experince of gf isaan village

mjp your right im prepared a total outlay of 1.5m but was hoping to get a car with that money to.

the rest of my money is safely tucked away in property in the uk. which it will stay as im not prepared to invest in wacky

money making ideas in Thailand.

If it does go tit's up I don't see it as a waste as my child will have a nice home for life if he/she chooses.

• Like 1

mjp your right im prepared a total outlay of 1.5m but was hoping to get a car with that money to.

the rest of my money is safely tucked away in property in the uk. which it will stay as im not prepared to invest in wacky

money making ideas in Thailand.

If it does go tit's up I don't see it as a waste as my child will have a nice home for life if he/she chooses.

A wise decision. The right attitude.

Cars here are brutal money, you won't like the prices. Ain't like the auctions in Blighty.

That said, you can own the thing on the right visa and they don't depreciate much.

yes been looking at the prices stupid money, but would feel a lot safer with a child in a truck than on the scooter.

You should be able to get a good used Ford Ranger for around 250 - 300k. These are the cheapest, unless you get a Tata dropside thing.

How does a 31 year old afford to stay here. Seems I miss something when I was young or wasn't born they son to the Red Bull fortune . I had to wait until 56 to have enough to move here.

• Like 1

Sounds like you're enjoying things so far and have the right attitude for countryside life.

Countryside life can be a bit boring at times, but that's when occasional trips to the city can give you your civilization fix now and then. Having your own house + Internet + speaking some Thai can make it a significantly more comfortable place to live though, as then you've got the essentials covered. There are always festivals of some description going on nearby, and the locals are almost always friendly and just happy to see a foreigner.

nowhereman60

i was lucky to get on the property ladder at a young age and make some money, then came into a small bit of land to build my own house with a small mortgage

which now allows me to live a modest life out here on the rental income.

im not rich by no means, but i figured work 50 hours a week at home struggling to keep up with the jones or live a pleasant life out here, and let someone else pay off the mortgage.

I will visit uk each year with the wife and child and have work available for 3/4 months at a time. so getting the best of both worlds i hope.

i do like the ford rangers.

• Like 1

nowhereman60

i was lucky to get on the property ladder at a young age and make some money, then came into a small bit of land to build my own house with a small mortgage

which now allows me to live a modest life out here on the rental income.

im not rich by no means, but i figured work 50 hours a week at home struggling to keep up with the jones or live a pleasant life out here, and let someone else pay off the mortgage.

I will visit uk each year with the wife and child and have work available for 3/4 months at a time. so getting the best of both worlds i hope.

i do like the ford rangers.

I mean the old ones.

Like 2004.

But remember, it's very cheap to get vehicles, especially pick-ups, fixed in Issan. Had an ground-up rebuild on my D-Max engine for 30,000 Baht. I mean I blew it good and proper.

yes i realised you meant an old one biggrin.png been looking at baht sold, think that is the name.

but i see for 550k you can get a 2011 model so as they don't loose much not a bad deal.

Will sort the house first as a car is a luxury.

yes i realised you meant an old one biggrin.png been looking at baht sold, think that is the name.

but i see for 550k you can get a 2011 model so as they don't loose much not a bad deal.

Will sort the house first as a car is a luxury.

If you're way out in the sticks, believe me, the truck is a necessity. A Colonel Walter E. Kurtz degree of madness will ensue without one.

Oh, and get a Makro card.

lucky we are not in the sticks. the road we are on in concrete with 40 houses with other roads leading of to many concrete roads easy well over 500 hundred houses . then 10 mins drive have Tesco banks car/bike shops.

lucky we are not in the sticks. the road we are on in concrete with 40 houses with other roads leading of to many concrete roads easy well over 500 hundred houses . then 10 mins drive have Tesco banks car/bike shops.

You'll still need a truck if you're here permanento.

Don't whatever you do put a pool table in your house. You'll never get them out. It'll turn into the non-working mens club.

Also, cost out buying in bulk all those things like washing powder, soap, shampoo, tinned foods and wotnot. You can make substantial savings over the year. Might be an idea to turn the pool room into the store room.

• Like 1

yes true i know i need one just at the right price not going to spend a fortune to impress the neighbours, as you so am old ford ranger will do.

i hear what you say about the pool table will access the situation after ive been there a while.

I was working on 8000 to 10000 sqm and a house size of just 100/120 sqm. nothing fancy.

No do not want or trying to impress the family with a big house and if I do get a pool table it is for my benefit alone.

They know im young and don't have the cash the older guys have. the mil just seems to be happy to be getting a gran child

and that her daughter has someone to to spend her life with. she worried a lot about that.

The fil was not asking to give him the money and he would sort it, I just asked for a rough idea from him.

The gf sold plastic flowers to big hotels nothing managerial taking orders and delivery's and now she works in a condo cleaning

until xmas when she will finish work.

she wont work after the baby, but im sure she will help out on the farm.

farmerjo I don't understand what your getting at? im a very easy going guy and don't see a problem staying with her mum dad

they are very nice people and well respected in the community.

Not trying to put a damper on things as i was similar to you with ambition.

I guess the fact your wife is pregnant will fast track things a little.

Was just stating take it slowly as you haven;t spent a great deal of time there.

I also work away a couple of months a year and has taken me 8 years to get something substanial in place here,with my first car coming last year,before that motorbikes and local buses which makes sense as you will have plenty of time on your hands to get where you want and back.

If your coming to stay,build a house,have a baby,get married and later buy a car even with 3-4 months work a year you really want to have at least 10-15 million baht behind you to make it work over a long period of time because there will be a few unforseen things pop up along the way.

Had many friends come build a house,buy a car and go home never to be seen again and left girlfriends with babies in difficult situations because they thought with 50 pound to the baht they could stay forever but their spending out did there savings eventuallysad.png

Be carefull and enjoy.

• Like 1

i agree but as you said the baby has fast tracked things. the misses knows we have not got mega money and will have to wait 10/15 years depending on the uk economy, before we can lead a more carefree lifestyle. so fingers crossed i will still be posting on this site in years to come with a success story.

• Like 1