first experince of gf isaan village

100km south of Khon Kaen? So basically a suburb of Bangkok still. Im 38, just to bring a relative age into it. You will find it wears thin very quickly. Make that drunkingly thin very quickly unless you find an honest living out there. How or what can you retire at 31 into Isaan life?

• Like 1
  • Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt's absolutely right in everything he's said.

Sent from my MotoA953 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

However if you come here and want to stay for the rest of your life,its possible.

But you and your kids will be thai,not both.

Thats the path i have chosen.

Good for some,not all.

Good for you Jo, but I just can't recommend it to newbies. Even my ex-wife says the same, that we should have moved the kids to the UK.

I love to visit, to ride around on dusty roads through the countryside and all, but I could never be up there for life.

However if you come here and want to stay for the rest of your life,its possible.

Good for some,not all.

You've seen what I've said already in this thread so I mean this as no troll, but why, what reasons are there that would make you want to do it.

Just curious as maybe I can add some pros to my UK vs Thailand list.

Your story almost mirrors mine from 3 years ago, I can give you a heads up for the next 3 years if you like.

You need to think long and hard about building or moving in Isaan because the novelty you experienced on your first time here will wear off <snip>

Matt ... that is close to the post of the year ... wai.gif

I warmly congratulate you.

For some reason the OP doesn't respond to my posts ... maybe he's more interested in building bridges ... culturally to Issan that is.

With members like you, the Forum is in good shape.

Thanks for sharing ... thumbsup.gif

I've ran out of likes ... be back tomorrow.

Cheers

David48 cowboy.gif

Agree with David 100%. Best honest, openhearted post I can recall ever. I commend you good sir. Well done for being so reallistic. Post of the year bar none. The village is painted as a silver lining on the first visit, but becomes cloudy very quickly. The op I suspect has his heart set and all the power to him. Im currently building a house of the same description as yours including "that" pool room. Ever since the birth of my daughter theres no way in hades I would bring her up in that or any Isaan villages. It will always be a holiday house and a comfortable place for my daughter and wife to relax on holiday.

Matty, I wish you and your family all the best mate. Keep up the great posts and well done.

• Like 2

Good for some,not all.

You've seen what I've said already in this thread so I mean this as no troll, but why, what reasons are there that would make you want to do it.

Just curious as maybe I can add some pros to my UK vs Thailand list.

When i first came here i had the same intent to take my wife to aus,after apply it was not possible so i bit the bullet sold my company and moved here with the intent to stay and raise a family.

Economics told me with what i had i couldn't be back and forth so a decision was made.

I am one of the lucky ones as the business i work in has prospered over the years.

However the people i stay around have not.They will always be the first to complain about farang not share money as they sit in their hammocks and cry why are we poor.

To go back to australia if i sold up everthing would buy me a modest house,no car and back working for the bank,something i dont choose to do like the op.

My children have a great oppurtunity here if they concentrate on english at school as well.

I have here at 42 a 100 rai,nice house and car etc dept free and money in bank.Also play golf 3 times a week.

If done right theres bucket loads of success to be had here,but i always have in the back of my mind,no one will look after me here so i do my best to create a future as i can.

The key to it all is never compare western world to asia,it is what it is and what you make it.

Well I said I wouldn't troll you and I'm going to try my hardest not to based on what you said, but essentially you chose to stay in Thailand (Isaan?) because it saved you money and made you more comfortable. Your kid's best interests aren't even mentioned.

I know that for a lot of people this is the reason they choose to raise their kids in Thailand. Luckily money is not a factor for me and I will do whatever it takes and costs me to give my kids the best possible upbringing I can give them and raising them in a 3rd world country, which is one of the lowest ranked for education of the surrounding 3rd world countries, is certainly not what I would ever do to my kids.