BungSam Ran

dibbley

Hey

Sorry to bother you all, but I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a BSR query - I am intending to fish there on the 13th October for the first time ever, I appreciate the whole double charging thing is grossly unfair but you do not get a chance to fish a Mekong runs water every day and I have never been there before so I would like to experience it despite the outrageous price. I have been advised to get a guide as it my first trip and someone mentioned a bloked called "Wi" who works there is very good - so I was just wondering if anyone who had fished BSR before had heard of Wi, would reocmmend wi or had any contact details for Wi -

Also, as I am going to be getting a taxi from near Phra Arthit Pier very early on the 13th and then also getting a taxi back later that evening if anyone was wanting to fish BSR that day and wants to jump a free lift then the offer is there - I would also be happy to fish with someone else for the day if anyone is interested, as I have heard the action can be frantic and fishing is always more enjoyable with a bit of banter, a couple of beers and splitting the cost of the rod for the day (I'll still pick up the taxi tab as I am going to be paying it anyway) -

Cheers

Al

Can't really fail on that water mate. You should be fine.

Maybe not fail, but hiring a guide your first trip can quadruple the number of bites you'll get. Second trip, he'll double your bites. Past the 4th trip, he may not increase your catch.

Your mileage may vary.

Bro the cost as below

Each rod cost = $2000THB / 1 rod

Bangalow = It depend on the type you're looking for as low as $600THB

Guide = $1000THB

Bait = $620/ per bag

Transport 2 ways should be = $1200THB

As for Tackle

Reel at least a size 6000

(I'm using SW stella 6000pg for Siamese carp & new black stella 8000hg for Mekong)

Rod PE5/8

(My will be PE3-5 for Siamese carp & PE5-8 Mekong)

Main braided line 50/60lbs

(Shimano Ocea Braided)

Leader 80/100lbs

(Shimano High Power Leader)

Braided line attach to hook will be 80/100lbs

(Shimano Ocea Braided)

Hook size 3 Gamakatsu

Edited by Steath

Bro the cost as below

Guide = $1000THB

Bait = $620/ per bag

You must be crazy or very wealthy to be paying those prices! there are other venues far cheaper which have huge fish!

So is there any place which is cheaper and much productive than BSR?

Bro the cost as below

Guide = $1000THB

Bait = $620/ per bag

You must be crazy or very wealthy to be paying those prices! there are other venues far cheaper which have huge fish!

Bro the cost as below

Guide = $1000THB

Bait = $620/ per bag

Yes there is!! more productive than BSR well maybe not when it comes to the Mekong, but seriously do you want to continually pull in Mekongs, as for the Cahor yes there is a venue close to Bangkok that has huge Cahor at a fraction of the other rip off fishing parks who will charge you a fortune for fishing and more so for there drinks and food, pm me for details!

Bro the cost as below

Guide = $1000THB

Bait = $620/ per bag

Yes there is!! more productive than BSR well maybe not when it comes to the Mekong, but seriously do you want to continually pull in Mekongs, as for the Cahor yes there is a venue close to Bangkok that has huge Cahor at a fraction of the other rip off fishing parks who will charge you a fortune for fishing and more so for there drinks and food, pm me for details!

I have nothing to do with any fishing parks, I will not be ripped off, there are many other venues that do not want to relieve you of much money.

Correction that's a typo error 600 is refering to bungalow amd rod charges is standard 2k/per rod

Such a lot of money, 2k per rod, how many people pay this!!

Seems quite a lot of people pay it....some have had enough after 2 hours or less...lack of stamina,

I guess the 3 rod idea is for kaho but i find they just come along anyway, last week a guy hooked 3 in one day and was fishing with a float and rig for mehkong at about 2 meters,

Although i live less than 200 meters away i dont go there very often, for me its a place to get together with a friend or 2 with the idea of hooking the real bigs ones, we do have an m/o for this but it does,nt always work out,

400 bht 1 rod each person,

620bht for a sack of lum delivered, 1 sack is normally enough for 2 but we had days when almost 2 sacks were needed for 3 people,

0bht landing net as we have one,

maybe 200bht in hooks and rigs broken-lost,

Edited by tingtongfarang

Normally 2 rod will be for siamese carp and 1 dor mekong and my practice is no break even for lunch only toilet break purely non stop action casting out and bringing in mekong untill six evening so far 1 day max total catch 33/34 mekong for me

As for Tackle

Reel at least a size 6000

(I'm using SW stella 6000pg for Siamese carp & new black stella 8000hg for Mekong)

Rod PE5/8

(My will be PE3-5 for Siamese carp & PE5-8 Mekong)

Main braided line 50/60lbs

(Shimano Ocea Braided)

Leader 80/100lbs

(Shimano High Power Leader)

Braided line attach to hook will be 80/100lbs

(Shimano Ocea Braided)

Hook size 3 Gamakatsu

I dont own a stella but would like to have one in my rack, friends and i have often wondered why they never did one with a baitrunner and cant come up with a logical answer,

We stopped using spinning reels at bsr a some years ago and went over to either accurate - Jm -avet multipliers, Also we have tried just about every mainline - leader config from different brands -types of braid along with experiments using different leaders and knots,

After all this the conclusion was a 50lb good quality mono (varivas) resulted in less breakups or bent hooks than any braid - leader setup, braid was just too much hassle all around, keeping the bait on when casting was also more reliable than braid not to mention that with a strong head or side wind with braid would often ruin your day,

Of course braid is perfect fishing close in on the bottom for carp,

As a rod builder i often try rods there built for customers, both spinning and conventional, I would,nt suggest any blank rated less than max 8pe for mehkongs, also the difference between a high end blank and a cheap one are worlds apart,

Last outing i took a new rod with me and changed over to it after a few hours, blackrock max 6pe paired with a brand new 12000 oc baitrunner spooled with varivas 50lb mono, it handled everything with no breakups and easy to use,

Fighting close up at times i could sense the limits of both rod and reel were matched but remember it was no cheapo blank.

Edited by tingtongfarang

Normally 2 rod will be for siamese carp and 1 dor mekong and my practice is no break even for lunch only toilet break purely non stop action casting out and bringing in mekong untill six evening so far 1 day max total catch 33/34 mekong for me

BSR is a great place all right, I don't find any enjoyment in just pulling out Mekong after Mekong, I would rather sit at my chosen venue and catch a big Cahor, you don't catch every time but when it happens it's fantastic, there is no skill in pulling in Mekong one after the other, but for some people it's great, each to there own!!

IMO, anyone that pays $2,000 USD for a round trip ticket to Thailand, and a few hundred $$$ more for hotels and meals and..and..and..., then skimps on what they're willing to pay for a fishing venue is practicing false economy.

Hire a guide for a full day in Texas, and you'll pay $500 or more (15,000 baht) and catch a few pounds of fish- if you're lucky. 10,000 baht for a day at BSR is CHEAP in that respect, and offers the real possibility of the biggest, and most pounds of fish an average Euro or US angler will catch in a lifetime of fishing

I've been here over 2 years now and, like Dogpoo, I'm willing to scout out less expensive, lesser known venues with less spectacular fish, just for the variety. But make no mistake, if I have visitors from back home, or business acquaintances that want to go fishing, we're going to BSR for Mekongs, or Pilot 111 for lure fishing.

Unfortunately, the other famous venues are just about out of my driving range for a one day trip. And then I'm faced with the cost of missing a day of work, which would exponentially drive up my cost for that day of fishing. (That's why I'm here, after all- my paycheck) But eventually, I'll be going to IT, Amazon and Gillhams and happily pony up the coin to give them a try.

BTW, still looking for peacock bass within 100 miles of BKK. If anyone has suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Edited by impulse

IMO, anyone that pays $2,000 USD for a round trip ticket to Thailand, and a few hundred $$$ more for hotels and meals and..and..and..., then skimps on what they're willing to pay for a fishing venue is practicing false economy.

Hire a guide for a full day in Texas, and you'll pay $500 or more (15,000 baht) and catch a few pounds of fish- if you're lucky. 10,000 baht for a day at BSR is CHEAP in that respect, and offers the real possibility of the biggest, and most pounds of fish an average Euro or US angler will catch in a lifetime of fishing

I've been here over 2 years now and, like Dogpoo, I'm willing to scout out less expensive, lesser known venues with less spectacular fish, just for the variety. But make no mistake, if I have visitors from back home, or business acquaintances that want to go fishing, we're going to BSR for Mekongs, or Pilot 111 for lure fishing.

Unfortunately, the other famous venues are just about out of my driving range for a one day trip. And then I'm faced with the cost of missing a day of work, which would exponentially drive up my cost for that day of fishing. (That's why I'm here, after all- my paycheck) But eventually, I'll be going to IT, Amazon and Gillhams and happily pony up the coin to give them a try.

BTW, still looking for peacock bass within 100 miles of BKK. If anyone has suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

BSR suits many people, I fish the same place, it's a 10hr drive for me to go fishing so I only go maybe 4 times a yr, It's great value and there are huge fish to be caught so I am very contented with my venue!

• 2 weeks later...

I can see a tourist doing a few trips to BSR but the cost now is really going up. If I was using a guide I think I'd try other venues. The guide can take care of speaking the local language.

You could fish Sakunar, Gnao nam etc. 10 days at either of these would cost you less than a single day at BSR. You'd likely catch as many fish in 10 days as you would in one. Have a lot more fun in the relaxed environment.

Most tourists aren't aware of this. You can just turn up to these venues and the local guide will take care of you. It won't cost you 500 baht for the guide, let alone 1000.

You're not thinking like a tourist.

The average tourist would rather pay to catch those fish in one day, then spend the other 9 days chasing skirts, and visiting temples, and scuba diving, and....and...

Come to think of it, so would I.

In fact, I'd rather just fork over the money than take the hours to Google all the venues, read the reviews, and then find transport and take my chances that the place even still exists, against the odds of a wasted day of vacation that I've worked all year for.

Figure what the average westerner earns in a day, and what it costs to fish BSR vs what it costs to fish the lesser known venues, do a little math and BSR is extremely cost effective for a tourist with limited time in country. So are most of the other famous venues and even the guide services that take you to them- on the basis of the unique experience they consistently and reliably provide.

Edited by impulse