Burning And Sacred Mountains

Joel Barlow

Ah wildlife. I remember when we had that here.. wath a natural wonder it was too.

Got this book, Sacred Mountains of Lanna, left it lying around quite a while then finally tried to read through it. Just tales of Buddah and King Asoka flying in to convert the Lawa to materialism. Woah.

But there are great sacred mountains here, and in Chiang mai, and in Loei, and it occurs to me that promoting recognition of them and their value might be a tiny way to fight this awful tendency to fill the air with smoke (blotting out the sun? annoying the mosquitoes? flavoring the air?)

MaeHongSon was once lush and wonderful (udom-somboon, the Thais would say). Now the city bakes from concrete. My neighbors take out their vegetation for that wonderful evidence of modernization (well, at least my neighbors are not people with million baht cars living in B2000/mo apartments...)

A mention of Wawi Valley recently denuded by fires for the sake of orange/tangereen cultivation makes me want to go see, depressing as that might be. It was a good trekking place, but I guess after the drugs disappeared trekking lots it alure :o:D:D

Lanna__s_sacred_mountains.doc