Our home construction, short version

This I meant to post long ago and it's the short version on the construction of our home

Construction in full tilt boogiepost-11141-0-35444700-1380428143_thumb.j

Roof being constructedpost-11141-0-69544800-1380428071_thumb.j

looking back from drivewaypost-11141-0-47878800-1380428211_thumb.j

Ceilings donepost-11141-0-71053200-1380427929_thumb.j

Front door being fittedpost-11141-0-44064100-1380427874_thumb.j

Bathroom wall above small two person hot tubpost-11141-0-00552300-1380427808_thumb.j

Home from short distance, the little building to right is guest cabin, just a sitting room and bedroom and bathpost-11141-0-75206000-1380427753_thumb.j

Two pump water system. One to put it in tank from ground, other to send it to homepost-11141-0-36675600-1380428797_thumb.j

Edited by mogoso
  • Like 2

Thank you, it's nicer on the inside than out but it's comfortable with a great sunset, No neighbors for hundreds of meters so it's quiet. We don't even hear the local Wat which is about a kilometer and a half away. We are outside of Chiang Mai, north east of Mai On. We've landscaping to do but it'll get done as soon as I get a round to it, I love procrastination.

Not having a concrete beam running around the roof is not a good way to save money. Your heavy roof with Contrazz ciment tiles is only supported by the irons coming out of the post. Can see on the first pic that they forget the level difference and had to modify two posts, so they certainly extended the irons, the risk is low but this can be a weak point. Not having a top concrete bean is also bad for the walls. The roof "push" the walls to the outside so small cracks could appears, especially with concrete blocks.

From the pics the concrete seems of good quality wthout bubbles.

The overall house looks nice and the area seems very peaceful, hope that you will enjoy good time in this property.

The roof "push" the walls to the outside so small cracks could appears, especially with concrete blocks.

the high expansion/contraction coefficient of steel does not only push but also pulls. cracks left and right of the pillars are preprogrammed!

after a detailed look and finding out that roof frame is welded to concrete steel reinforcements i retract my statement and just comment "cold shivers are running up and down my back!"

post-35218-0-92582800-1380681881.jpg

Edited by Naam

Not having a concrete beam running around the roof is not a good way to save money. Your heavy roof with Contrazz ciment tiles is only supported by the irons coming out of the post. Can see on the first pic that they forget the level difference and had to modify two posts, so they certainly extended the irons, the risk is low but this can be a weak point. Not having a top concrete bean is also bad for the walls. The roof "push" the walls to the outside so small cracks could appears, especially with concrete blocks.

From the pics the concrete seems of good quality wthout bubbles.

The overall house looks nice and the area seems very peaceful, hope that you will enjoy good time in this property.

Typical construction method in Thailand.

• Like 1

Not on houses I build ( and many others too ). If a customer don't want concrete roof beams to save money I tell him not to call me if he have wall cracks.

attachicon.gifDSC05401.JPG

I dont disagree with what you say, in fact I agree.

The photo you posted is almost unseen in any Thai building site I have witnessed, most are the same as posted by the OP.

One of the reasons many complain or post on here about shoddy constuction methods/techniques and wonder why the house develops problems after a few years.

Not on houses I build ( and many others too ). If a customer don't want concrete roof beams to save money I tell him not to call me if he have wall cracks.

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif DSC05401.JPG

I'd be interested to know in which area you operate Carl. I've been considering building my own house for a while, but am not knowledgable enough in proper construction specs to allow the typical Thai builders I've witnessed here in Ubon to do the job for me. Someone who won't cut corners and knows how a house should be properly built would be Godsend!

I see people always slating the way the houses are built here, personally i have not seen many Thai houses fall down or roofs collapse so they can't be that bad....

Granted a lot of them have walls / door frames / window frames that are not 100% square but at the end of the day the price we pay for property here is very cheap and "that's the way it's done" - personally the construction for a single story residential home here does not concern me.

• Like 1

you get usually what you pay for

however if you have been told that you are getting top notch work and receive only the normal average rubbish , then you are going to be rather upset

both methods of construction [in this forum] are normal depending on the span of the beam and /or the weight /loading of the design

both methods will work fine if your engineer has done his/her job

you get usually what you pay for

however if you have been told that you are getting top notch work and receive only the normal average rubbish , then you are going to be rather upset

both methods of construction [in this forum] are normal depending on the span of the beam and /or the weight /loading of the design

both methods will work fine if your engineer has done his/her job

IMO engineers and architects in this country are an expense that is not required.

If you have a decent builder with a lot of experience that's all you need.

This is so long as the build is nothing 'out the ordinary' + being on site to oversee EVERYDAY.

• Like 1