Phuket jet-ski thug gets first taste of swift tourist court justice

Phuket jet-ski thug gets first taste of swift tourist court justice
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_The_tourist_court_in_Phuket_f
The tourist court in Phuket, formally known as the Tourist Protection Section, opened last week. Photo: Chutharat Plerin

PHUKET: -- The first cases heard in Phuket’s tourist court, which involved a jet-ski operator who attacked two tourists on Kata Beach, were resolved less than 36 hours after the incidents happened.

Danaichet Yomjinda, 25, who pled guilty to charges of assaulting the two men on Friday with a “No Swimming” flagpole, was issued a 1,000-baht fine and put on probation for two years (story here).

The father and son, originally identified by police as Israeli, were confirmed to be Australian nationals during the court hearing.

“The two assault cases, one against the father and one against the son, were transferred to the court on Saturday morning. They were tried as two separate cases,” said an officer at the tourism court.

“If Mr Danaichet is caught committing a crime during his probation, he faces a penalty of three months in prison,” the officer explained.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-jet-ski-thug-gets-first-taste-of-swift-tourist-court-justice-22380.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-09-30

• Like 1
  • Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is not justice.

Perhaps not, but if the offender had a clean jacket with no prior convictions, then no too uncommon, even in the west, for a first time offender to get probation.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

You all might makes jokes, but I consider this real progress. You have to realise that fines in Thailand seem low, but that is just the real Thai economy (not the tourist economy).

This is the part I really like ...

“If Mr Danaichet is caught committing a crime during his probation, he faces a penalty of three months in prison,” the officer explained.

Gonna have to call BS on that one. Beating an old an man and his son with a pole and getting a 1000 baht fine is not the real real Thailand. It may be in Kata Beach, or any where else in Phukett or Pataya but not in Thailand in general. But I am actually quite surprised the Farangs didnt get the fine in this cesspool.

To be honest I have heard before that the fine for assault is just 500 bt and this was double assault so 1000 bt. I am not sure but this really might be the maximum fine.

• Like 2