Phuket jet-ski thug gets first taste of swift tourist court justice

webfact

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst I can agree it is some sort of progress, the punishment should be comparable to the crime. I am very sure that going to hospital to get their heads bandaged would cost more than 1000 baht not to mention their time that has been wasted. The fine should take these factors into account and be much larger. Also for common assault, the criminal should at least get 2 or 3 days in prison as a sign of things to come if he does such actions again, far more of a deterrent...

You all might makes jokes, but I consider this real progress. You have to realise that fines in Thailand seem low, but that is just the real Thai economy (not the tourist economy).

This is the part I really like ...

“If Mr Danaichet is caught committing a crime during his probation, he faces a penalty of three months in prison,” the officer explained.

Aren't the jet-skis rented at 1500 baht per half hour? I gather the father rented one, and the son rented one - that's 3000 baht.

1000 baht is just some part of the profit from the rental to the victims.

It does seem a little too lenient to me, and would tend to send a message to other jet-ski operators, and tuk-tuk drivers, that the going rate for assaulting a couple of tourists, with a weapon, (flag pole) is only 1000 baht.

In my opinion, it sets a rather low precedent for this Court to now abide by.

1000 baht is cheap for "tarnishing Phuket's image." smile.pngsmile.png

He got fined to the maximum of the law.

If it stops him doing it again, it's progress....

When he making 100K a day from his scams 1K is hardly a problem for him. Will be easy to adjust your scam to cover the 1K expected fines.

The guy should've got a prison sentence for Assault with a weapon and intentionally causing injury. Should've also been banned for life from working in the tourism industry. Giving a thug a hug and nice cup of warm milk hardly deters others.

Why not line him up and shoot them all.....burn all the books, throw them in jail....hang them from the highest tree.....perhaps throw all the children in jail so they never become future jet ski operators.....better yet sterilize every person so they can prevent future jet ski operators......

Banned for life from working in the tourist industry......just where do you come from........my guess would be the nanny state of Australia.........never laughed so hard at a response in the last year.....good god..........you should be a stand up comedian.

Nothing here will ever make some of you happy, 1000baht is lot of money for the average Thai doubtful the equipment belonged to the two flunkies just doing what they have been told. In the end better than nothing.

Since Thailand is such an unfair place I guess a few of you will be going home now, O forgot then nothing to complain about

These tourist courts are really worrying me. When I read the first story about the guys who died in the speedboat accident getting a derisory sum in compensation I was concerned. In the West due diligence would have seen a full investigation into the loss for the victim's families and it would take several years to decide the correct compensation. Now we have a jet ski operator resorting to his base instincts with virtually no sanction at all, the whole matter raced through the courts to get rid of the publicity which would surround a longer case, and a sop punishment given to the offender.

I work on the beach every day, I know that tourists can be as obnoxious as the operators looking to earn a quick extra buck. I know some tourists can be offensive and push Thai's to the limits of their patience, especially Thais (like some Europeans) who are very quick to thump rather than reason. But setting up a court which rushes cases through and then gives such lenient punishments is going to give this wonderful country an even worse image in the eyes of potential tourists,

You all might makes jokes, but I consider this real progress. You have to realise that fines in Thailand seem low, but that is just the real Thai economy (not the tourist economy).

“If Mr Danaichet is caught committing a crime during his probation, he faces a penalty of three months in prison,” the officer explained.

Well the fines don't seem low when it comes to foreigners legally working in Thailand.. Let's see.. if I'm repairing my boat or just doing what's on my work permit but in a different location.. the fine is... 20,000 thb... fair enough

Agree that it is progress, but as is the norm, the Thais interpret and engage things in a way that beggars the developed mind.

Having a flat standard fine of 1000 THB does not take into consideration the persons earned income and so many other things that should be brought into the spotlight.

What I am suggesting is instead of 1000 flat standard:

The fine must be a percentage of the persons earned income.

There should be reparations made to the victims.

The convicted should have their entire lives placed under government evaluation regarding

Their tax history (do they pay taxes?)

Their past criminal record (are they repeat offenders or trouble-makers?)

Their compliance with licensing

Do they have licenses to own and operate their business

Do they have licenses to own and operate their jet skis

Do they have insurance coverage for the rentors

Are they transparent in their dealings with the customer and City Hall

Are their employees legally employed according to the Ministry of Labor

It seems so... so Thai, that they get a criminal placed in front of them and they only focus on that one thing, and dismiss the opportunity to go over that criminal's history and get a lot of things settled at once.

My point is, I wonder what else this scumbag is guilty of that the court is overlooking, and hence walking right by a golden opportunity to take care of many issues at once. The message would send a ripple effect through the scumbag community, and I am willing to bet that they would clean up their acts and think twice about losing their tempers with the only people who pay their paychecks; the customers.

Thais interpret and engage things in a way that beggars the developed mind. They are so simple minded and singular in their approach to resolving and finding solutions that their resolutions and solutions bring about more chaos in the aftermath of "justice" than the original crime. What I mean is, they breed crime with their ineffective approach to resolving and solving it.

When we look at the punishment we need to gauge it from the eyes of the Thais

He was hauled up to court and found guilty and he paid the maximum fine allowed by the law.

In this instance, although the amount seems very insignificant in a western perspective (hardly pays for a bottle of wine) in Thai perspective, they had a massive loss of face and every Thai would tell you being hauled up to court is a scary experience for them. So when he is fined, somchais know this is bad for business and bad when they work in a small community to be known as someone that got hauled to court.

The father and son can claim for medical but again the safety is probably more important to them than claiming a few thousand baht back.

True story this ..a friend of mine (foreigner) with his gf was threatened and choked in the throat in the hospital by an angry ex driver.

This happened in full view of the nurses at the station with CCTV coverage ...the fine 500baht which was the max allowed was issued which the driver paid with a smug face

U could scratch your head but the law has been applied and nothing more the police could do.

• Like 1

Totally agree.

First, there was moaning that nothing was done, now the moaning continues.

I am not familiar with the Thai penal code but I should suspect that fines in general are lower than say in Oz or the USA. Lots of Thais for which THB 1,000 are a fair chunk of cash.

this is the most stupid barfly comment Ive heard in a long time.

The point is that the fine was too low at thb1000. The guilty in question would have laughed at this fine over a bottle of whisky that night.

If the court wants to deter further rogues from assaulting tourists- and if the government wants to make things safer for tourists then.... MAKE IT A 50,000 BAHT FINE. THEN WORD WILL SPREAD AND THESE GUYS MIGHT START BEING CIVIL TO TOURISTS AND BEHAVE THEMSELVES!

• Like 1

When he making 100K a day from his scams 1K is hardly a problem for him. Will be easy to adjust your scam to cover the 1K expected fines.

The guy should've got a prison sentence for Assault with a weapon and intentionally causing injury. Should've also been banned for life from working in the tourism industry. Giving a thug a hug and nice cup of warm milk hardly deters others.

Why not line him up and shoot them all.....burn all the books, throw them in jail....hang them from the highest tree.....perhaps throw all the children in jail so they never become future jet ski operators.....better yet sterilize every person so they can prevent future jet ski operators......

Banned for life from working in the tourist industry......just where do you come from........my guess would be the nanny state of Australia.........never laughed so hard at a response in the last year.....good god..........you should be a stand up comedian.

I was probably a little harsh saying he should be banned from the industry. The tourism industry needs to recruit more people like him. Having someone grab a weapon and beat a customer actually encourages more trade and tourism will go through the roof. Tourist love this stuffbiggrin.png .

not to make a joking comment but,

Isn't smoking in a non-smoking area subjected to a higher fine? wasn't it about 2000 baht or so?

I agree . It is a good start .

I think the more positive feedback is needed on this website ..

No disrespect to anyone's opinions here or an other forum or post , but some days I read and shake my head at all the negative comments and put downs ....

• Like 2

Aren't the jet-skis rented at 1500 baht per half hour? I gather the father rented one, and the son rented one - that's 3000 baht.

1000 baht is just some part of the profit from the rental to the victims.

It does seem a little too lenient to me, and would tend to send a message to other jet-ski operators, and tuk-tuk drivers, that the going rate for assaulting a couple of tourists, with a weapon, (flag pole) is only 1000 baht.

In my opinion, it sets a rather low precedent for this Court to now abide by.

1000 baht is cheap for "tarnishing Phuket's image." smile.pngsmile.png

He got fined to the maximum of the law.

Surely the fine/sentence is based on the seriousness (injuries) to the victims.

Are you saying if he took an eye out with the flag pole, it's still a 1000 baht fine????

Are you saying if he broke bones (arms/legs) with the flag pole, it's still a 1000 baht fine?

I don't think so.

Edited by NamKangMan

>>Thai perspective, they had a massive loss of face and every Thai would tell you being hauled up to court is a scary experience for them. So when he is fined, somchais know this is bad for business and bad when they work in a small community to be known as someone that got hauled to court.

Maybe for the average Thai citizen, but for this guy this is a badge of honor among his ilk, jet ski operators, tuk tuk drivers, black plate taxi drivers etc. What this shows is the law is something to scoff at where you can beat the sh** out of someone and only get a 500 baht maximum fine. Perhaps the law on assault against a foreigner needs a rethink if the authorities want the average toursist to think that the " safe zones" and indeed anywhere on Phuket is safe and backed by a law that includes a harsh punishment against tourists and foreigners.

• Like 2

>>Thai perspective, they had a massive loss of face and every Thai would tell you being hauled up to court is a scary experience for them. So when he is fined, somchais know this is bad for business and bad when they work in a small community to be known as someone that got hauled to court.

Maybe for the average Thai citizen, but for this guy this is a badge of honor among his ilk, jet ski operators, tuk tuk drivers, black plate taxi drivers etc. What this shows is the law is something to scoff at where you can beat the sh** out of someone and only get a 500 baht maximum fine. Perhaps the law on assault against a foreigner needs a rethink if the authorities want the average toursist to think that the " safe zones" and indeed anywhere on Phuket is safe and backed by a law that includes a harsh punishment against tourists and foreigners.

And you would know that why?

[...] MAKE IT A 50,000 BAHT FINE. THEN WORD WILL SPREAD AND THESE GUYS MIGHT START BEING CIVIL TO TOURISTS AND BEHAVE THEMSELVES!

And while they are at it, next time you are caught without a valid driving license, not wearing a helmet while driving a motorbike, or driving under influence, or whatever - make it a 50,000 Baht fine, it will teach you to behave.

And yes - uppercase only is considered shouting ermm.gif

This is a brief outtake from the Australian criminal justice system statistics page.........

"An assault offender with no prior convictions faces a 2.8 per cent chance of imprisonment. By contrast, an assault offender with four or more prior convictions faces a 42.9 per cent chance of imprisonment. Among those who received prison sentences, the average minimum term was 9 months and the average aggregate sentence was 15 months. "

What it shows is that those habitual criminals charged and convicted with a crime receive higher penalties.....which is what should happen.

This case in Thailand is laying the foundations of justice for future criminal acts of this particular person.....give the system time to work.

• Like 2

Having experienced Thai Justice, the standout thing about this whole process is that it took 36 hours and not 36 months.

It seems to me that it's almost impossible for you people to be satisfied with anything that happens and if that's the case why the hell do you live here? You do nothing but complain.

I seem to remember there was a time in Australia where we had such a thing as an "whingeing Pom". It seems they're all Here now.

Edited by Considered Opinion

1000 baht fine ?????????????? Is that a joke ? or a typing mistake ?

There is just no way to satisfy everyone. If it were 10k Baht people would likely cry that it was too much. 1000k means a lot to the locals in perspective.

If you were the judge, how much would you fine them?

1000 baht fine ?????????????? Is that a joke ? or a typing mistake ?

Actually putting it in context, 1000 baht isn't a bad Fine it all. if you consider how much he makes in a day, that will keep him aware.

If you don't look at these things in context the whole point is moot.

Obviously you don't live here, don't see these scammers on a daily basis, nor do you know how much they make, nor how much influence these guys have. 500 baht for one assault on a tourist is a small fraction of a half hour jet ski rental. These guys along with the tuk tuk and black plate taxis are thugs, plain and simple and operate as if they are above the law.

• Like 2

A 1,000 baht fine to most Thais would seem an awful lot of money maybe it would have been better had this man been banned from plying his trade on that beach for 3 months, no doubt he will put up his charges for rental to pay off his fine at least justice is seen to be done to a certain extent

Let's get this corrected.. A 1,000 baht fine to most normal, hard working, honest, law abiding thais, is an awful lot of money.

Right, but that is not who we are talking about here. We are talking about jet ski mafia: abnormal, lazy, dishonest criminals.

• Like 1

I was probably a little harsh saying he should be banned from the industry. The tourism industry needs to recruit more people like him. Having someone grab a weapon and beat a customer actually encourages more trade and tourism will go through the roof. Tourist love this stuffbiggrin.png .

Right...so how about a good stoning.....tourists love that as well. Your remarks are taken as they are...from an emotional stand point. You can not change the system overnight....it will take time....perhaps another generation or so and this case is but just the first step in getting to the Stalinist system you are looking for.....as they say....be careful of what you seek!