Phuket jet-ski thug gets first taste of swift tourist court justice

1000 baht fine ?????????????? Is that a joke ? or a typing mistake ?

There is just no way to satisfy everyone. If it were 10k Baht people would likely cry that it was too much. 1000k means a lot to the locals in perspective.

If you were the judge, how much would you fine them?

I would fine them with high amount so the next time they will think twice. the only things which can scare them is to take their money .... 10,000 is a beginning and I would not cry its too much . the only problem in this story is that you can beat up people and pay a fine of 1,000 baht and you are out .... sorry but they make more money in scams or renting their machines.... I have heard 1000 baht is a lot for Thais ... well for the factory workers or maids for sure ..... but not anymore for the others.

• Like 1
  • Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 1,000 baht fine to most Thais would seem an awful lot of money maybe it would have been better had this man been banned from plying his trade on that beach for 3 months, no doubt he will put up his charges for rental to pay off his fine at least justice is seen to be done to a certain extent

Let's get this corrected.. A 1,000 baht fine to most normal, hard working, honest, law abiding thais, is an awful lot of money.

Right, but that is not who we are talking about here. We are talking about jet ski mafia: abnormal, lazy, dishonest criminals.

Well we do not know all the facts about the person charged....he could be the wealthy, greedy, mafioso you are referring to. He could also be the the front man making a couple of hundred baht a day who if he returns the jet ski back to the "owner" with so called damage or not making the minimum quota of 25,000 baht per day (which I hear is what they demand from the front operators), then they are threatened and their families are threatened. Sort of like slave labor.

if they ever disclose who the person is in relation to the jet ski food chain....then you can make assumptions as to whether or not the fine was appropriate or not.

• Like 1

1000 baht fine ?????????????? Is that a joke ? or a typing mistake ?

Actually putting it in context, 1000 baht isn't a bad Fine it all. if you consider how much he makes in a day, that will keep him aware.

If you don't look at these things in context the whole point is moot.

1500 baht to rent a jet-ski for half hour. I don't think 1000 baht fine will bother him too much. No real deterrent in this fine.

A 1,000 baht fine to most Thais would seem an awful lot of money maybe it would have been better had this man been banned from plying his trade on that beach for 3 months, no doubt he will put up his charges for rental to pay off his fine at least justice is seen to be done to a certain extent

Let's get this corrected.. A 1,000 baht fine to most normal, hard working, honest, law abiding thais, is an awful lot of money.

Right, but that is not who we are talking about here. We are talking about jet ski mafia: abnormal, lazy, dishonest criminals.

So you want 2 maximum fines: one for the average Somchai, max. 500 Baht, and 1 for tuktuk drivers and jetski operators, max 50,000 Baht?

• Like 1

You all might makes jokes, but I consider this real progress. You have to realise that fines in Thailand seem low, but that is just the real Thai economy (not the tourist economy).

This is the part I really like ...

“If Mr Danaichet is caught committing a crime during his probation, he faces a penalty of three months in prison,” the officer explained.

Maybe so, however 1,000 Baht is an insult . These people were attacked with a weapon. Furthermore, these jet ski operators make a significant amount of profit excluding their damage scams and 1,000 Baht simply relates to one hour jet ski hire. And of course lets not forget that we have the word of the authorities that should this thug commit another act over the followng three months he faces jail time. Yeah sure. Just another example of the hypocracy of this country.

Swift justice my ass.

It is quite funny that democratically elected governments can't get a law passed because of them, but the courts seem to have no problem in changing a system that is at the heart of the system "justice". How bizarre is it that new courts can be created in the blink of an eye within weeks? It shows only that Thailand is at their core a banana republic.

You all might makes jokes, but I consider this real progress. You have to realise that fines in Thailand seem low, but that is just the real Thai economy (not the tourist economy).

This is the part I really like ...

If Mr Danaichet is caught committing a crime during his probation, he faces a penalty of three months in prison, the officer explained.

Maybe so, however 1,000 Baht is an insult . These people were attacked with a weapon. Furthermore, these jet ski operators make a significant amount of profit excluding their damage scams and 1,000 Baht simply relates to one hour jet ski hire. And of course lets not forget that we have the word of the authorities that should this thug commit another act over the followng three months he faces jail time. Yeah sure. Just another example of the hypocracy of this country.

Swift justice my ass.

For sure 1,000 baht fine might seem an insult, however the fine penalties are set by the Thai police system and are universal across all Thailand. The fines take no account of individual income or personal circumstances. I would expect that compensation would also have to paid for medical expenses, but that has not been reported by media. For all those condemning the fine level, so how much would a road offense ticket cost in your home country ? Here in Thailand it's 3 or 5 hundred baht. That seems a bargain to me.

• Like 2

A conviction...

Now its recorded that this Thai is violent so it will resurface when he starts beating his wife (I am exaggerating to get to a point), she will have his prior as confirmation of his action.

2 years between beatings is a long time, so after he assaults the next tourist, its the 3 months and a feww beers after he gets out and goodness knows what the Jail time is then.

Thailand is taking baby steps to get this crap dealt with.. kudos for the effort.

The Govt may even realize that there is money to be made in fines... Who knows, we may even get proper road policing in the future :)

Edited by thhMan

A thousand baht fine, that's a joke, to these scumbags that's chump change, why the heck dint the court set a proper example and fine them 40,000 Baht and pay compensation to the victims of at least 500,000 Baht.

Its a joke

Its a joke

Its a joke

bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

If it was a 10,000 baht fine, one month (at least) jail term, and two years probation I would have said progress is being made. But this means nothing to Thais and the courts know it.

A Thai colleague once remarked that justice is so lenient here that people just do what they want. They may have to pay a few hundred baht, but so what. Unfortunately I don't think this will make a dent in crimes against tourists.