Foreigners Getting Married In Thailand

masonarthur

Hello,

My fiancee and I are coming to Bangkok in July to be married.

I am Australian and and she is from the Philippines, we thought getting married in Bangkok would be much more convenient and romantic than in our respective countries, we can do that later.

We will be coming to Bangkok on our own and just wanted to cover the necessary Embassy documentation, and then just go to the nearest Municiple hall and tie the knot.

Since having made all our plans, we have found out that it is now a rule of the Philippine Government that any of their subjucts getting married, have to obtain a License from their Embassy, and the Embassy must post the license application in the diplomatic system for a period of 10 days before they will issue the license. Which makes our stay much longer than necessary, can anyone verify this rule.

The other thing that puzzles us is, on reading the instructions about being married in Bangkok, from both our Embassies and the local instructions on foreigners getting married, no mention is made of a ceremony, do we just go to the local Municiple Hall, produce the translated documents and just register our marriage, or are we missing something somewhere.

I look forward to and appreciate any information and comments that might be sent to me.

Thank you all.

Mason:unsure:

She needs to go to the Philippine Embassy and make a Statutory Declaration that she is free to Marry, you also need to do the same at the "Hall of Shame", sorry the Australian Embassy.

My Advice, go to a Translation service, there are hundreds on Wireless Rd and pay them the money to get all the other relevant documents (I did that). Then you can go to the local Ampour (Municipal Office) and get married. That is normally 200B.

Thailand encourages people to get married here, as it is a Romantic destination with the Sunrises, Sunsets at the beach, mountins etc. Therefore it should not be too hard to do.

Good Luck for your future together. So far my Thai Marraige has worked, and we are both very happy.

you need to get the translations verified at the Thai consular place near the airport. that's 800 baht for quick turnaround (took me half hour) or 400 baht for a couple of days.

then jump in a taxi to an amphur to get it all completed. we did it at Bang Rak for 40baht, but if neither of you can write/speak thai then you will have to take someone with you who can.

Hello,

I am Australian and and she is from the Philippines, we thought getting married in Bangkok would be much more convenient and romantic than in our respective countries, we can do that later.

We will be coming to Bangkok on our own and just wanted to cover the necessary Embassy documentation, and then just go to the nearest Municiple hall and tie the knot.

Since having made all our plans, we have found out that it is now a rule of the Philippine Government that any of their subjucts getting married, have to obtain a License from their Embassy, and the Embassy must post the license application in the diplomatic system for a period of 10 days before they will issue the license. Which makes our stay much longer than necessary, can anyone verify this rule.

The other thing that puzzles us is, on reading the instructions about being married in Bangkok, from both our Embassies and the local instructions on foreigners getting married, no mention is made of a ceremony, do we just go to the local Municiple Hall, produce the translated documents and just register our marriage, or are we missing something somewhere.

I look forward to and appreciate any information and comments that might be sent to me.

Thank you all.

Mason:unsure:

I can recommend Sunbelt for the translation- and other work. When you are not in a hurry saves you money. Count some days for it.

As District I can highly recommend Bang Rak: nice people, very involved :o and they supply the necessary whitnesses. You only have to bring an adult translator. Can be family.

Hello,

:o I am laughing right now. Get married in the Philippines if you can, trust me, it is a lot easier. Is there any particular reason why you want to marry in Thailand?

Here is the process to get married here in Thailand:

You go to the Australia embassy and get a paper that say you are free to get married, that should be pretty easy, others can advise you on that.

Next, your fiance needs to get the same paper from the Philippine Embassy. hahahahahaha I am seriosuly laughing as I write this because it is a pain and a half. The Philippine Embassy is Bangkok will only issue the Certificate with if the Filipina can present a duly authenticated CERNOMAR from the Philippines.

How do you get that? First off, she needs to request a CERNOMAR(Certificate of No Marriage Record) from the Philippine NSO office. It has to be printed on SECPA paper. This takes about 3 to 5 weeks to get. Once she has it in hand, she must now get it duly authenticated. Secondly, she must take the CERNOMAR to Malacanang Palace in Manila for them to certify the the NSO certification. This takes anywhere from 1 to 3 days. After it is ready for pickup, she must then deliver it the DFA Office in Manila for them to authenticate it. It is commonly called Red Ribbon authentication. This takes 3 to 5 days to complete. After she picks it up, she can then take the autheticated document with her to Thailand and request the certificate of singleness from the embassy.

The Philippine Embassy will not budge, no duly authenticated cernomar, no certificate of singleness. Without a letter from the embassy, short of a bribe, you will not get the amphur to register the marriage. Get the idea? Can you understand my laughter?

You may have reasons for not getting married in the Philippines. If that reason is about the waiting time, it is a lot more waiting time getting NSO paperwork from the Philippines,etc...and in the Philippines, 1000 pesos does away with the 10 day waiting period to get married. If it is because she has a previous undisolved marriage, the NSO will catch it, whether you marry in Thailand or the Philippines.

If you are interested in place to get married quickly without a lot of BS, I might suggest Hong Kong. You can file the paperwork via mail. Just file the paperwork, set the wedding date, and fly in, get married and take care of everything. You do not need a certifcate of singleness to get married in Hong Kong.

• 4 years later...
Hello,

:o I am laughing right now. Get married in the Philippines if you can, trust me, it is a lot easier. Is there any particular reason why you want to marry in Thailand?

Here is the process to get married here in Thailand:

You go to the Australia embassy and get a paper that say you are free to get married, that should be pretty easy, others can advise you on that.

Next, your fiance needs to get the same paper from the Philippine Embassy. hahahahahaha I am seriosuly laughing as I write this because it is a pain and a half. The Philippine Embassy is Bangkok will only issue the Certificate with if the Filipina can present a duly authenticated CERNOMAR from the Philippines.

How do you get that? First off, she needs to request a CERNOMAR(Certificate of No Marriage Record) from the Philippine NSO office. It has to be printed on SECPA paper. This takes about 3 to 5 weeks to get. Once she has it in hand, she must now get it duly authenticated. Secondly, she must take the CERNOMAR to Malacanang Palace in Manila for them to certify the the NSO certification. This takes anywhere from 1 to 3 days. After it is ready for pickup, she must then deliver it the DFA Office in Manila for them to authenticate it. It is commonly called Red Ribbon authentication. This takes 3 to 5 days to complete. After she picks it up, she can then take the autheticated document with her to Thailand and request the certificate of singleness from the embassy.

The Philippine Embassy will not budge, no duly authenticated cernomar, no certificate of singleness. Without a letter from the embassy, short of a bribe, you will not get the amphur to register the marriage. Get the idea? Can you understand my laughter?

You may have reasons for not getting married in the Philippines. If that reason is about the waiting time, it is a lot more waiting time getting NSO paperwork from the Philippines,etc...and in the Philippines, 1000 pesos does away with the 10 day waiting period to get married. If it is because she has a previous undisolved marriage, the NSO will catch it, whether you marry in Thailand or the Philippines.

If you are interested in place to get married quickly without a lot of BS, I might suggest Hong Kong. You can file the paperwork via mail. Just file the paperwork, set the wedding date, and fly in, get married and take care of everything. You do not need a certifcate of singleness to get married in Hong Kong.

wow, seems very easy to get married in Hongkong, but is it a legal marriage or i mean will my own country will recognize that marriage when i go back to my own country (Philippines)?

Because i heard alot of stories got married in other country and they will know later when they go back to Philippines that their marriage is not recognize by our country and she's still single.