Koh Sichang - Boring or Brilliant ?

David48

Koh Sichang - A boring island with little to offer the Western Tourist ... or ... a relaxing get-a-way?

We travelled there a few years ago and I as suggested this Island get-a-way, so close to Bangkok, as a great relaxing place to spend a couple of nights.

Brilliant actually.

I'm not interested in Beaches, where I live in the West, we have world class beaches within 10 mins drive.

Many tourists are not chasing a tan and a swim.

post-104736-0-02159500-1380571234_thumb. . . . post-104736-0-19981700-1380571340_thumb.

. . . Sunset from. . . . . . . . . . . . . . An hour before

our Accommodation

post-104736-0-30027100-1380571709_thumb.

. . . Sheltered Beach

Safe Sand for the kids to muck in.

post-104736-0-77847600-1380572012_thumb.

Quiet nature walks ...

Lot's of other stuff ...

I read the trip reports to the other Islands here ... but never a mention of Koh Sichang.

So, Koh Sichang - Don't know or nothing to offer you?

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

I went about 10 years ago and had a great time. There was definitely beaches, just not the greatest. But plenty of great food, nice views and the water was clean. The best bit is you don't have to drive for hours to get there.

• Like 1

Best to avoid as it's over-run now with undesirable tourists, both Thai and foreign.

Certainly not my experiences.

Boat wasn't full coming over.

No Farang spotted in the 3 days there.

Accommodation easy and cheap to find.

Ditto bike and the transport from the Wharf to the Hotel.

None of the photos I took have another tourist in them ... never had to 'wait' ... was there in 'High Season'.

Sure you are thinking Koh Sichang and not Koh Chang.

I note you joined the Forum this month.

When did you go, where and how long did you stay?

Must taken heaps of photos ... maybe you have some identifying the 'overcrowding'?

Never been but have heard it is very popular with Thais.

Indeed but that's mostly during week-ends or public holidays.

Have been there on and off and the first time was I think in 1989 when there was no other falangs in sight.

Wonderfull and very cheap seafood to be had, and a very tiresome climb of 500+ steps to the top of the highest point where there was a small pagoda with a monk meditating who was only to happy to get visitors and gave away free amulets to the Thai girls in our company which they loved. My wife still has a couple of them.

There is one beach on the west side of the island which was quite nice and above all deserted but hard to reach in those days. Needed one of these motorickshaws to get there.

Good to know it's still an atractive place to visit unfortunately my old legs are not upto it anymore.

Do have some very nice memories though, thanks for bringing it up.

Yermanee wai.gif

Edited by yermanee
  • Like 1

Best to avoid as it's over-run now with undesirable tourists, both Thai and foreign.

Certainly not my experiences.

Boat wasn't full coming over.

No Farang spotted in the 3 days there.

Accommodation easy and cheap to find.

Ditto bike and the transport from the Wharf to the Hotel.

None of the photos I took have another tourist in them ... never had to 'wait' ... was there in 'High Season'.

Sure you are thinking Koh Sichang and not Koh Chang.

I note you joined the Forum this month.

When did you go, where and how long did you stay?

Must taken heaps of photos ... maybe you have some identifying the 'overcrowding'?

Been many times. Ferry 20 minutes drive away for me.

Yes it is a nice getaway but not more than a night or two. A few foreign tourists go Usualy to be found on one of the beaches. As for the undesirables. One on the boat in his twenties, wannabe hippy type (translation = grotty) thought he looked cool sitting there topless with his hooker kissing her and showing photos like he though he had pulled while she kept brushing him off and dropping hints about money which he didn't seem to get while all the Bangkok Thai tourists looked on.

Accomodation is full on the weekends with Bangkokonians, don't leave it to chance if staying on the weekend although several new resorts since last staying there.

Is there a high season for Koh SI Chang ? It's a weekend bunk up for Bangkok Thais.

Food is rubbish on the Island, but Sri Racha has very good restaurants, but us locals keep it amongst ourselves so they don't get overrun with tourists. smile.png

• Like 1

Good to know it's still an atractive place to visit unfortunately my old legs are not upto it anymore.

Yermanee wai.gif

Maybe some new memories for you ...

post-104736-0-13929000-1380614706_thumb. post-104736-0-64518100-1380614588_thumb.

These Vista are nice ...

post-104736-0-17374500-1380615000_thumb. post-104736-0-34505600-1380614997_thumb.

These aren't bad either ...

A few more below ...

post-104736-0-94320300-1380615346_thumb. post-104736-0-73456400-1380615340_thumb.

Western side, this was sun-up . . . . . ... and Sundown

Our accommodation was a Timber cabin in a group of maybe 8 or 10.

post-104736-0-26389000-1380615344_thumb. post-104736-0-38114600-1380615338_thumb.

Transport from the wharf . . . . .Scoopy asked 300 Baht a day and

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . v accepted 500 Baht for 2 days.

Apologies for the 'Lady' photos ... but better her then me ... rolleyes.gif

Hope that either brings some memories back for some members

or entices some more to visit the place and as arthurwait points out

above ... week-days are quieter then week-ends.

Wonder why none of my 67 hiso ex gfs ever mentioned this island. Guess like they say, you can't see what's under your nose.

It's not very exciting ... but it's fairly quiet, undeveloped and not pushy.

From memory, only one 7/11, one crossroad.

BTW, when I mentioned 'High Season' in an earlier post ... I meant more like the 'Dry Season' ... Nov - Jan

How to get there ...

sichanggroupmap.gif

We stayed on the far Western side of the Island. That said ... it's less then 5 mins from where

we stayed to the shops and town on the other (eastern) side.

Bit of a guide here ... http://www.ko-sichang.com/index.html

You can get there apparently from Pattaya, but it's a much shorter journey from Siracha.

Getting to Siracha ... http://www.ko-sichang.com/GettingToSiracha.html

Getting from Siracha to the place where the Ferry leaves for the Island ... http://www.ko-sichang.com/SirachaTown.html

• Like 1

Not been for over ten years but thought it was ok, pretty quiet. The beach we went to wasn't the best and after paddling we came out with a mysterious black tarry/oily substance on our feet. It's nice for a change, even a 7 11 there now well they do get everywhere!

I have been there several times, and there were always lots of garbage on the beach and in the water, there is a large sewage pipe leading directly to the sea on the far right side of this only beach on the island, accommodation is of the backpacker style but not of the backpacker prices. There are many ships digging the sand around the island, and they are perhaps the reason for the dirty beaches (as well as the Thais eating on the beach). I suppose these ships dump all they garbage directly to the sea. Last time there was a big oil leak visible in the water during the trip by a ferry from Sri Racha. Sad but true.

If you are after a small dirty beach and overpriced tuk-tuks and accommodation (0 star shacks for 3 star prices), go for it.

I have been there several times, and there were always lots of garbage on the beach and in the water, there is a large sewage pipe leading directly to the sea on the far right side of this only beach on the island, accommodation is of the backpacker style but not of the backpacker prices. There are many ships digging the sand around the island, and they are perhaps the reason for the dirty beaches (as well as the Thais eating on the beach). I suppose these ships dump all they garbage directly to the sea. Last time there was a big oil leak visible in the water during the trip by a ferry from Sri Racha. Sad but true.

Koh Sichang was nice.

It's not remotely as nice now as it was before.

Most of the people now running hotels, restaurants, etc. are recent Bangkok Thai imports that ruined its once desirable traits.

The shipping industry has greatly increased over the years further destroying other aspects of what was once, a desirable destination.

• Like 1

Never been ....so can't comment on that. But did see this article a few years back....Is there a drug problem there?

http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/300-storm-koh-sichang-in-major-drug-raid-5901

Just read that article ... WOW talk about a beat up.

They had ...

More than 300 police, military and government personnel stormed Koh Sichang, detaining 500 island residents for drug tests that eventually netted 22 arrests and the seizure of a small amount of drugs and weapons.

Chonburi Gov. Wichit Chatpaisit led the Aug. 24 raid by Phutorn, marine and drug-control police as well as soldiers from the 14th Military Circle.

Officers using drug sniffing dogs searched seven villages and 20 neighborhoods, confiscating an undisclosed amount of ya ba, 602 g. of marijuana, 0.2 g. of crystal methamphetamines, three guns and 61 bullets.

So, a bit over a pound of dope, 0.2 grams of crystal meth, and a partridge in a pear tree.

They have to say something to save face .. they had over 300 officers.

Thai and Face ... never separated.

But let's not focus on that ...

Anyone been to the island recently?

Yermanee wai.gif

Maybe some new memories for you ...

attachicon.gifDSCF1910 LR.JPG attachicon.gifPC280854 LR.JPG

These Vista are nice ...

attachicon.gifPC270774 LR.JPG attachicon.gifPC280838 LR.JPG

These aren't bad either ...

A few more below ...

Never saw the lady before in my life.

If you are after a small dirty beach and overpriced tuk-tuks and accommodation (0 star shacks for 3 star prices), go for it.

Koh Sichang was nice.

Most of the people now running hotels, restaurants, etc. are recent Bangkok Thai imports that ruined its once desirable traits.

The shipping industry has greatly increased over the years further destroying other aspects of what was once, a desirable destination.

I really think the OP mentioned the beaches were not that great he was referring to the rest of the island.

Went in 2005. My opinion.. very nice. Lots of temples, not much for Western tourists - so not many Western tourists, which suits me fine. I agree that the beaches and sea water are not the cleanest... but then I'm not a swimming-in-sea-from-beaches type and most of my favourite beaches are not "maintained" like those in tourist traps.

I will go back one day... it was recommended that I go on Chinese New Year but I'm not sure I would like the noise. Koh Sichang is very popular with Chinese.

Songkran is also particularly busy time according to hotel staff, but it is everywhere... probably not so many farangs with ice-cubed water buckets on Koh Sichang though.

I stayed at Koh Sichang Palace and will again. The hotel was a bit dated/worn, but facilities were OK and it wasn't too pricey.

• Like 1

Went last October. Took my mum for a day trip on her last day here, rained most of the day so didn't see the beaches. Yes there are more than one. The rest of the island seems as it was.

The rubbish may come from the ships it may also come from Bang Saen beach which like any locals beach in Thailand is covered with rubbish. Maybe it falls of the boat if the rubbish is shipped to the mainland. Or maybe it's again what most Thais do just dump their rubbish. Go to any tourist destination or anywhere away from where hotels clean up the rubbish anywhere in Thailand and you will find the same.

Most the places it seems now are run by Farangs. I think the place where David stayed is where I got talking to the farang owner by a shop IIRC. One of the few restaurants on the island is run by a farang Thai couple.

http://www.ko-sichang.com/

Yes it's popular with Chinese Thais, most people that go there are middle class form Bangkok and Chonburi cities. The two biggest concentrations of Thai Chinese in Thailand.

Edited by arthurwait

Koh Sichang was nice.

Sounds almost like Phuket, i remember when it was nice there...Around 23 years ago.....

w00t.gif