US government shuts down as Congress misses deadline

webfact

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Incredible that they're still thinking in shortterm elections effects. The us are on the verge of bankrupcy. They will cause the biggest crises ever. USD will be worth crap soon.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

This isn't about how the US government sucks. The government shutdown is the result of the radicalization of the conservative right. The tea party has taken over the republican asylum. This will be political suicide for the republicans. They should be all be perp walked out of congress for trying to sabotage the government.

California is once again showing the way how a government should operate. First you get rid of the republicans and everything else falls in line. You're able to govern again, something the republicans have long forgotten how to do.

We've done this in Massachusetts too.

The only reason we put Mitt Romney in as governor was to implement a state health and medical care program.

After one term during which Romney did that, we threw him out.

Only a Republican could have done it.

clap2.gif

This so-called 'shut-down' doesn't mean much, really. Many many people will still get paid, and many services will still get funded. Here's my educated guess at what will still get paid, in order of priority:

>>> politicians, including the White House (they're not going to turn off the electric to the WH)

>>> security personnel (there are dozens of varied departments)

>>> Military, both active, and pensions for retired.

>>> Social Security

>>> Airport personnel, embassy staff

>>> medical and welfare pay-outs to elderly

Here is my educated guess for what programs will be first in line to get late payments:

>>> day care (kids don't vote, and are considered a lot less important than politicians)

>>> parks service

>>> NPR, NIH, PBS

I hope they don't turn off the cooling units for nuclear rod storage dumps.

Additionally, as soon as a budget gets going, all federally funded employees and services will get back pay, if they missed any during the so-called 'shut down.' No one is going to get scathed in this, except perhaps day-care workers/facilities taking care of children.

The US Govt is worse than a drunk sailor as the sailor stops spending when is is broke, The US just keeps on spending. You would think that the democrats would understand how bad Obamacare will be.

Doesn't matter how bad the Republicrats think it is.  Shutting down the government to get their way is no more mature than sitting down on their diapers and screaming until they turn blue.

In fact, I had to check to see if I've been smoking dope when I read that the Repubs were repeating the same behavior that worked so poorly for them in the last round of elections.  Hard to believe they're that stupid.....again.

It should also be noted that pretty much every American posting here could afford at least one -and most of them- many round trip tickets to Thailand.  Their Our views may not match the views of millions of Americans whose minimum wage employers don't provide health insurance.

The money that is being used for those payments is non-existing as the US are printing over 80 billion extra per month. That's a trillion dollars a year. How many baht does one get for the usd now? Just follow the value of the usd. They're running to selfdestruct with open eyes. Like lemmings.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Highly recommended.

Best of Stewart, Letterman on Government Shutdown

Oct. 1 (Bloomberg) -- On "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart" and "Late Show With David Letterman," the two late night comics Stewart and Letterman parody the ways the government shutdown could affect Americans as the U.S. government began its first partial shutdown in 17 years.

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/best-of-stewart-letterman-on-government-shutdown-05Sw6FGRTZCxxp8oZPnXeQ.html

Edited by Publicus
  • Like 1

Incredible that they're still thinking in shortterm elections effects. The us are on the verge of bankrupcy. They will cause the biggest crises ever. USD will be worth crap soon.

I've been hearing that the dollar will crash in value, about 1,000 times for a coon's age, but the dollar is still doing ok.

Probably good I wasn't an economic advisor to prez Bush or Obama, because I would have advised they not bail out Wall St. the banks, The automakers, AIS, Goldman Sachs or Real Estate Conglomerates. It seems Uncle Sam came out of the woodshed in pretty good shape, considering Americans were staring at a depression about to happen, in 2008.

• Like 1

I'm not an American, but I have spent a fair amount of time in the USA. I like and admire much about the country, and its people. On several occasions, after having partaken of drink in their company, I have felt moved to apologize for my Regiment burning down the White House in 1812!

I was always surprised that the worlds richest country effectively made no provision for the healthcare of a very large proportion of its population. I assumed that was the purpose of Obamas program.

I can't help wandering if those who appear to be calling the shots in the Republican Party are exacting revenge for the people having elected a black man as President ( twice ),especially one with such an "uppity" wife.

The Confederates are at the core of this, yes.

No politician or any other will say so publicly, but privately one on one they boldly get in your face to let you know.

The US civil war has one of the worst hangovers of anybody's civil war anyplace, anytime, ever.

There's still no end of it in sight.

I'm not an American, but I have spent a fair amount of time in the USA. I like and admire much about the country, and its people. On several occasions, after having partaken of drink in their company, I have felt moved to apologize for my Regiment burning down the White House in 1812!

I was always surprised that the worlds richest country effectively made no provision for the healthcare of a very large proportion of its population. I assumed that was the purpose of Obamas program.

I can't help wandering if those who appear to be calling the shots in the Republican Party are exacting revenge for the people having elected a black man as President ( twice ),especially one with such an "uppity" wife.

No politician or any other will say so publicly, but privately one on one they boldly get in your face to let you know.

The US civil war has one of the worst hangovers of anybody's civil war anyplace, anytime, ever.

Neo confederates do not make up the core of the Tea Party movement.

The Confederates are the shakers and movers of the anti-Obama campaigners.

Poll: Americans reject GOP shutdown strategy

Hours after the government officially lurched to a partial shutdown, a new poll released Tuesday showed Americans really aren’t crazy about Obamacare — but hate the Republican approach of closing the government in an effort to repeal it.

The Quinnipiac University national survey found that the public is split on the Affordable Care Act, with 47 percent opposed to it and 45 percent in favor. But Americans, by a lopsided 72-22 percent margin, say shutting down the government is not the answer

Would the GOP fare better by refusing to raise the country’s debt ceiling to stop Obamacare? Not much: Americans oppose that approach 64-27 percent

http://news.yahoo.com/poll--americans-reject-gop-shutdown-strategy-132559818.html

Americans don't only reject the Confederate Republicans. The Confederate Republicans disgust us and repulse us.

Edited by Scott
  • Like 1

House Speaker John A. Boehner fell in a trap. It's a temporary shutdown.

US embassy will not be affected.

Which economy is in worse shape, USA or GB?

"237 years" and some people can't forget that. Wow

That would be 'fell into a trap' (unless he's been drinking heavily while golfing - a distinct possibility) and it's a 'partial' shutdown. Too bad it (instantaneous govmint shrinkage) won't be 'permanent'. Don't worry, from what I understand all that are furloughed will eventually get paid retroactively.

Edited by MaxYakov

w00t.gif The House of "Representatives" is now more popular than ever! w00t.gif

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/10/01/shutdown_front_pages_how_today_s_papers_greeted_the_news_of_the_government.html

You can take a full tour of today's shutdown-themed front pages over at the Newseum, but trust me, it doesn't get any better (or, admittedly, crasser) than this one, from the New York Daily News.

A new Quinnipiac poll out this morning highlights just how unpopular the House strategy has been: By a 72-22 margin, voters opposed Congress shutting down the federal government to block the implementation of Obamacare. Even though Americans were divided on the merits of the healthcare law itself—with 45 percent in favor and 47 percent opposed—they were against the idea of Congress cutting off funding for the law, 58 percent to 34 percent.

Keep in mind folks even though they have a republican majority, the democrats got the majority of the total votes for this congress. Tricky districting.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

The Confederates are the shakers and movers of the anti-Obama campaigners.

The only neo confederates that I know usually come from the ron paul group and even then I would not classify them as Confederates in the classical sense.

Well I'm talking about Confederates in the "classical sense."

The people still stinging from the civil war and refighting it through past racial segregation, resistance to desegregation, opposition to the Civil Rights Movement and to Civil Rights laws such as the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Voting Rights Act of 1965 and all the rest of it, culminating presently with the election and reelection of Barack Hussein Obama as the 44th president of the United States.

Those latter day Confederates.

House Speaker John A. Boehner fell in a trap. It's a temporary shutdown.

US embassy will not be affected.

Which economy is in worse shape, USA or GB?

"237 years" and some people can't forget that. Wow

That would be 'fell into a trap' (unless he's been drinking heavily while golfing - a distinct possibility) and it's a 'partial' shutdown. Too bad it (instantaneous govmint shrinkage) won't be 'permanent'. Don't worry, from what I understand all that are furloughed will eventually get paid retroactively.

Amen. Let's close theentire place down. Our yearly budget is now 3.7 trillion dollars per year and I remember the Stalinists screaming high heavens when Bush's budgets were 800 billion. I am not a big fan of the way that the progressives republicans are conducting the government shutdown at all.

If I were the Speaker I would propose to make Obama the richest and most powerful person in the history of America with a a couple of stipulations. Off the top of my head the goverment fleeced the American peasants out of 2.3 trillion dollars this current fiscal year. I would propose that we give all 2.3 trillion dollars to Obama under the condition that the first two things that he must pay for are interest of the 16 trillion dollar debt and make a 5% downpayment of it. He could spend the rest of the money in any way that he deems fit but not one cent more.

• Like 1

w00t.gif The House of "Representatives" is now more popular than ever! w00t.gif

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/10/01/shutdown_front_pages_how_today_s_papers_greeted_the_news_of_the_government.html

You can take a full tour of today's shutdown-themed front pages over at the Newseum, but trust me, it doesn't get any better (or, admittedly, crasser) than this one, from the New York Daily News.

A new Quinnipiac poll out this morning highlights just how unpopular the House strategy has been: By a 72-22 margin, voters opposed Congress shutting down the federal government to block the implementation of Obamacare. Even though Americans were divided on the merits of the healthcare law itself—with 45 percent in favor and 47 percent opposed—they were against the idea of Congress cutting off funding for the law, 58 percent to 34 percent.

Keep in mind folks even though they have a republican majority, the democrats got the majority of the total votes for this congress. Tricky districting.

That would be the United States Congress: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Congress

And the Republicans have a majority only in the House of Representatives.

Since you didn't supply a source for the 'Tricky districting' assertion, I'll do it from Wiki (FWIW, reference numbers and links removed):

United States House of Representatives elections, 2012

"House Democrats won a plurality nation-wide by over 1.4 million more votes (1.4%), but the Republicans were able to retain a 17-seat majority due in part to their advantage in the congressional redistricting process following the 2010 United States Census, and because many Democratic votes were concentrated into urban and minority districts Both parties had opportunities to redraw congressional districts in their favor, but since the Republican party won an overwhelming amount [sic] of state legislature seats around the country in the 2010 midterm elections, it provided them with an overall advantage."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_of_Representatives_elections,_2012

• Like 1

The people still stinging from the civil war and refighting it through past racial segregation, resistance to desegregation, opposition to the Civil Rights Movement and to Civil Rights laws such as the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Voting Rights Act of 1965 and all the rest of it, culminating presently with the election and reelection of Barack Hussein Obama as the 44th president of the United States.

shure sounds like ya talking about those evil demoncrats.

• Like 2

shure sounds like ya talking about those evil demoncrats.

Used to be the Dixiecrats.

Now however they are the Republicans.

The US Govt is worse than a drunk sailor as the sailor stops spending when is is broke, The US just keeps on spending. You would think that the democrats would understand how bad Obamacare will be.

Elaborate please .....???

America is doomed!!! Well..........hmmmm.......USA does have a GDP of 15 TRILLION. Yes, USA can monetize their debt, and they do. Stock market near all-time highs, and it is much easier to make money in America than almost all other countries. But don't worry haters, in 209 years their will be another top country. China. USA haters have been around forever....and America still produces, buys, educates, etc. at a level where so many are envious. If the 10-year bond goes over 6%, then we can revisit the doom-and-gloom.

Two basic ways of looking at a country's national debt. The US government has chosen an absolute number for the country's debt ceiling.

US federal debt as an absolute number

post-21260-0-20853500-1380649686_thumb.p

US federal debt as a percentage of GDP

post-21260-0-29319400-1380649691_thumb.j

US federal debt ceiling

post-21260-0-41356000-1380650592_thumb.p

The post slanders sailors while letting the Confederates in Congress off the hook as they fight a rear guard action of the civil war against the federal government.

I wuz in the army so we spent our time fighting marines in the beer bars of Washington. burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRR.gif Never had nothin' against sailors. xcool.png.pagespeed.ic.jz1nB6CMOI.png

There were Confederates back then too, continuously since 1865. There still will be Confederates for a long time yet. bah.gif

I think a single payer system is more efficient and more effective. But I wouldn't shut down the government to try to get one.

Actually rotary's post describes the monumental spending excesses of the Spend-o-Crat party pretty well. And when the two houses of Congress have differences in their bills, the usual procedure is a conference committee to negotiate a compromise between the two versions. The roadblock to that and the true cause of the shutdown is the refusal of the Senate's Spend-o-Crat Harry Reid's refusal to negotiate with the House.

The House Republican majority keeps screwing itself. They can't help themselves; they can't stop. They are obsessive compulsive ideologues.

Americans know this. Have you seen the Quinnipiac University Poll, cited above?. Quinnipiac is a reputable scientific public opinion survey research organization.

The Congress has a 10% national approval rating.

Compared to the Congress, Prez Obama looks like Abraham Lincoln

• Like 1