Air Conditioning - Recommendations, How Much, What Unit?

scoooooby

Hi all, been searching the forum to read up on A/C and there are so many posts. Seems a lot of you favour the Daikin unit but would appreciate any feedback (constructive please hahaha) on what I should fit to my bedroom. Its a fairly big room (approx. 4m x 8m) so what size unit would I need....House in approx. 45 mins east of Korat so anyone who may know of a reliable supplier/fitter it would be good.....any idea of cost....I have seen units c15K-20K THB but not sure of fitting cost....?

Sorry guys, I know its a bring subject and we all want to rant about Pattaya v village life but could do with some help on this one....

Cheers

PS - 65 days till I return to LOS !

There are many calculators available on the internet from many companies. Just google ''Aircon size Calculator" This particular website from Panasonic allows you to download a calculator App for your Apple or Android

http://panasonic.com.au/Products/Air+conditioners/Sizing+wizard Most of the sites will ask you the length and breadth and height of the room, how many people and computers etc, some ask whether the room is insulated, either way the answer is getting close to 20K BTU. Some people argue that it is better not to go oversize as the compressor will kick out quickly before the humidity has been lowered sufficiently. Most aircon units have an ''air drier'' function which works on the humidity level rather than temperature. I have an old Daikin 24k BTU and a Toshiba and Mitsubishi (Mr Slim)9k BTU in the bedrooms. Most these days have an inverter driving the indoor evap unit fan so it continuously varies making them very quiet when the room reaches the required temperature. Some have ionisers built in. I have not had a problem from any of them. The 9k units were under 15kBaht fitted but the bigger unit is around 40k Baht fitted. If your bedroom gets the afternoon sun, consider a bigger unit. Personally I would buy one with the fitting fee included, just in case it gets dropped or wired up wrong.

Edited by Dellboy218

Depends on the construction. Height of ceiling, insulated or not, type of walls, etc. Agree that 20k is correct with normal height insulated ceiling and concrete block walls, 9k will never do the job no mater how good the insulation is.

• Like 1

I just bought a slim line Panasonic unit 11,900 BTU unit from a little electrical appliance shop for a slightly smaller bedroom. Very neat looking, ultra quiet and more than capable of cooling down the room very quickly, no 'clicking and clanking' as it cuts in and out. As others have said, I think you will need something a little larger, especially if you have high ceilings which are a major factor in deciding the unit you require.

TBH, I was very impressed by the service offered and the very professional installation. Ordered at 3pm, fitted by 5pm. The fitters even cleaned up after themselves and used dust sheets where necessary.

Total cost was 11900 baht (after a little bargaining) including installation.

I did price up the same unit at major retailers who offered it at a similar price excluding installation so opted for the local store. Since then, every appliance I have bought has come from the same shop who will match the price of any store, including 'special offers' and if they haven't got it in stock, they will get it within 24-48hrs.

For me, it's not just about price but 'service' and the sellers attitude as well, a hard thing to come by these days. It's nice to go in a store, be treated as a customer, greeted with a smile and get good knowledgeable service. Have a look inside some of the smaller retailers, they might not look too good from the roadside but once inside, they often turn into an Aladdin's Cave.

Just checked on several calculators and all recommend between 14,500 - 15,500BTU units.

I checked my measurements with the shop who basically said a unit too big will under-perform causing it to be less efficient.

Obviously your decision!

Edited by Madgee
  • Like 1

Very please with the 4 Sharp units we bought at the start of last year - 3 x 9000 BTU in the bedrooms (a bit smaller than yours) and a big 30,000 BTU downstairs. Electricity bills are reasonable and the 9000 BTU can easily keep the rooms cool. Cost about 15K fitted bought from a Powerbuy.

We have Samsung in the office, a slightly larger space and 12,000 BTU but the electricity bills are outrageous by comparison! Though in fairness they are older units too.

Very please with the 4 Sharp units we bought at the start of last year - 3 x 9000 BTU in the bedrooms (a bit smaller than yours) and a big 30,000 BTU downstairs. Electricity bills are reasonable and the 9000 BTU can easily keep the rooms cool. Cost about 15K fitted bought from a Powerbuy.

We have Samsung in the office, a slightly larger space and 12,000 BTU but the electricity bills are outrageous by comparison! Though in fairness they are older units too.

Most likely the 12k unit that you have in your office is too small for the area and activity that generates heat. Therefore the compressor runs all of the time and the electric bills skyrocket.

Probably about right wayned. Ah well, rented office and they were in here when we moved in. It's high but not crippling so I'm not about to replace them with 50K worth of new ones! Should probably get them cleaned/serviced soon too.

Our bedroom is the same size as the OP's. I bought a 17,000 BThU Daiken and it is OK. Ceiling/roof not insulated, south facing. However when it gets really hot and humid, I prefer a size bigger, as we installed in the sitting room?kitchen.

I just bought a slim line Panasonic unit 11,900 BTU unit from a little electrical appliance shop for a slightly smaller bedroom. Very neat looking, ultra quiet and more than capable of cooling down the room very quickly, no 'clicking and clanking' as it cuts in and out. As others have said, I think you will need something a little larger, especially if you have high ceilings which are a major factor in deciding the unit you require.

TBH, I was very impressed by the service offered and the very professional installation. Ordered at 3pm, fitted by 5pm. The fitters even cleaned up after themselves and used dust sheets where necessary.

Total cost was 11900 baht (after a little bargaining) including installation.

I did price up the same unit at major retailers who offered it at a similar price excluding installation so opted for the local store. Since then, every appliance I have bought has come from the same shop who will match the price of any store, including 'special offers' and if they haven't got it in stock, they will get it within 24-48hrs.

For me, it's not just about price but 'service' and the sellers attitude as well, a hard thing to come by these days. It's nice to go in a store, be treated as a customer, greeted with a smile and get good knowledgeable service. Have a look inside some of the smaller retailers, they might not look too good from the roadside but once inside, they often turn into an Aladdin's Cave.

Just checked on several calculators and all recommend between 14,500 - 15,500BTU units.

I checked my measurements with the shop who basically said a unit too big will under-perform causing it to be less efficient.

Obviously your decision!

Can you please tell me where you found this small shop? I need an aircon fitted into a small bedroom and what you got sounds ideal for what I need. I hope you live in Udon thani, my house is 26 k,s out of town from there.

Regards,

lesdunbar

I've had York, Trane and Panasonic conventional (non inverter) units. Reliability and performance is in to order I've posted them at the expense of noise levels. The York, though bullet proof is noisy as hell. The Panasonic, though quiet is well... just crap and a prick to maintain as well. Trane unit is somewhere in the middle.

My last replacemt of a failed panasonic unit was with a DAIKIN inverter unit. Ok it costs more but its better than all of the others in every way and cheaper to run as well. When the time comes they all will be replaced with DAIKIN inverters.

• 5 months later...

I can tell you guys 9000 btu can be enough if you have a good designed building. I bought 12000 btu for my 31sqm bungalow and its much too big already. Even on hot summer days about 6000 btu would be enough for me. My room got even very big clear windows and the building gets plenty of sun.

I used qcon blocks, have a ventilated roof, proper windows without any gaps and my aircondition is an inverter modell. Nothing of that costed really much more, can highly recommend it. Unfortunately most of the buildings here are not like that. In case you build your own you could do it in such a way.

My electric bill in similar sized places always was between 2300 and 2700 baht (paid electric at government rate), about 500 baht is for light, computer etc and the rest for aircon. Now my total bill is about 1000 to 1200 baht, meaning the electric used for aircondition (without light etc.) is about one quarter of what it was before.

as we are looking to buy 2units, what concerns me is have the fitters been trained to fit and find the cause of a fault with the new converter units.i think I will stick to the economy ones.

We've bought 14 units of various brands over the past 10 years. Some have been relocated as well during that time. The latest ones are Superior-18 Saijo Denki and Mitsuta. We're happy with them.

We've always used one shop thats provided us with good service. As a general guide we work on the price of 12K Baht for a 12k BTU unit, 18k Baht for a 18k BTU unit etc. Those prices are installed. You may find prices slightly higher depending on the brand but we've found its a good guide on price.

The shop we use shop sends its own fitters and they install same day. Apart from general maintenance we haven't had a problem apart from an older panasonic unit that developed a coolant leak. The fitters are professional and know what they're doing.

I have a 25 square metre bedroom, faces south, west, and north with windows on all sides. I was told I needed an 18,000BTU unit, but after reading this and using various calculators, that seems a bit overkill. 12-13,000 seems more realistic. What do you guys think?

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Issangeorge

I have a 25 square metre bedroom, faces south, west, and north with windows on all sides. I was told I needed an 18,000BTU unit, but after reading this and using various calculators, that seems a bit overkill. 12-13,000 seems more realistic. What do you guys think?

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

our bedrooms have 12k btu.the largest being 26sq.mts.thats not enough,as the unit is fked after 4yrs.and the other one aswell [saijo denki] see my posting in the d.i.y.forum,I will be getting a 18k.btu.for the largest room.

12k.normally copes but this heat we are getting now they are not copeing so good.

Irrespective what aircon you have installed. Make sure you have a 'whole house surge protector' on your electrics. Guy just up from me lost 2 A/C units due to the storms we had on 01/03/2014.

Where can you get one? How much does it cost? Will it fit in a Sneider 20x40 box?

Sent from my HUAWEI MT1-U06 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks guys for all the input....will start shopping and then enter the painful process of 'negotiation' wai2.gif

I live in Korat and just purchased a 12,000 btu Daikin Inverter unit for a 48 m2 bedroom,bedroom on 1st floor of 2 story house no direct sunlight. 3 windows.

Unit cools very well and extremely quiet.Cost was 24,800 installed.

Lefty