Broadband In Cm - True Vs Telephone Line

Fraktalkid

Hey everyone,

So I've spoken to the people over at True and they're coming round on Saturday to complete paperwork with me and get some broadband internet hooked up at my place (1024kbps, home use package @ 890 baht/month).

Before I go ahead and do that though, I was wondering if anyone thinks that going the normal route (telephone line e.g. TT&T plus an ISP) is more stable/faster/less hassle/better value for money etc or whether True really is the better solution if it's available.

Cheers,

Frak

> I was wondering if anyone thinks that going the normal route (telephone line e.g.

> TT&T plus an ISP) is more stable/faster/less hassle/better value for money etc

Ha, NO WAY!!! Total no-brainer this, there's absolutely NO comparison between dialup and any kind of ADSL internet. With a faster connection you can suddenly do things that were completely impossible before, such as download lots of music, videos, etc.

PLUS you don't hog your phone line being connected, or paying 3 baht per call

The only question is really if 1048 kbps is the way to go or something cheaper... At the office we use I think 256 kbps for less than 500 baht a month.. That's almost CHEAPER than dialup.. And the speed is adequate for our purposes. My reasoning was to start out low, and if we indeed manage to get that speed then I would consider going a bit faster. (But as it turns out, 256 kbps is kind of okay for now. It's just that downloading a complete CD image (700 MB) takes like 6 hours, but hey, I do it overnight and it's there in the morning. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

Hey everyone,

So I've spoken to the people over at True and they're coming round on Saturday to complete paperwork with me and get some broadband internet hooked up at my place (1024kbps, home use package @ 890 baht/month).

Before I go ahead and do that though, I was wondering if anyone thinks that going the normal route (telephone line e.g. TT&T plus an ISP) is more stable/faster/less hassle/better value for money etc or whether True really is the better solution if it's available.

Cheers,

Frak

I am pretty sure you are asking about the difference between Cable Modem internet and ADSL Internet, not between ADSL and Dialup. But the reply would have to be the same.

I have used TRUEs Cable Modem Service for a year, and I was a very satisfied customer. There was very little downtime and speeds were reliable and stable (a slight dip in the afternoon when the kids get back from school, but when you have a basic speed of 1 MB it doesnt matter much if it drops to 0.8 MB for an hour or two :o).

As of today, I am using TT&T ADSL, the package called Maxnet4Life, and this is 2500 baht for 512/256. They defend the pricing with the low contention ratio (10 users per 1 line) and claim little downtime; other deals and ISPs have higher contention ratios.

To me all their reasoning has proved to be window dressing and I am currently looking at other options. If I could get a TRUE cable modem connection out here where I live at present it would be a no-contest - it was SO much more worth it than the so called "premium" service TT&T are offering.

So I definitely think you are doing the right thing.

Thanks everyone for their replies :-)

Yeah, my apologies - I should've been more clear - I was actually referring to telephone line enabled for ADSL + a broadband acct VS True cable.

At present I'm using GPRS (DTAC) so anything will be an improvement. Having said that though, despite being slow, DTAC's GPRS service has been incredibly stable.

Right now I'm quite excited about getting Vonage hooked up!

Wow, that is a big difference in package price Meadish! Normally increased price means better service... sounds like TT&T are keeping their prices artificially high..

Seems Chiang Mai would be a prime candidate for one of those blanket 'wimax hotspots' in a hot air balloon!

So, what are your own options at present?

Will certainly report back once I've heard more from True in case it's useful for anyone else :-)

Cheers,

Frak

Edited by Fraktalkid