'Clean Bangkok' campaign to bring out street-sweeping brigades

webfact

'Clean Bangkok' campaign to bring out street-sweeping brigades
By Coconuts Bangkok

untitled-1_4.jpg?itok=FAEQNpLO

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Bangkok governor Jumpon Sampaopol and the Thai Environmental and Community Development Association recently announced details of a “Clean Bangkok” campaign to run next week.

Jumpon says the campaign will educate locals on how to organize and reuse their home garbage in order to decrease the amount of waste each year. On the weekend of Oct. 11-13, residents of all 50 Bangkok districts are encouraged to clean the roads in front of their home.

On Oct. 11, 40,000 officers of the “Bangkok cleaning team” will help locals clean their roads and footpath.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/10/04/clean-bangkok-campaign-bring-out-street-sweeping-brigades

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-10-04

What's the point in cleaning the roads when people will just toss more rubbish on to them a short time later? A mental shift is required in how people regard littering if you want to see cleaner streets.... parks, rivers, temples, etc etc.

• Like 2

I had a few ideas that might make just as good of a photo-opp:

trash bins, especially at the piers. Just take a look at the trash trapped around the

piers like at Siriraj, it's amazing and not a trash can in site. Catch the last boat and you can see

the workers sweeping and throwing all the trash into the water. Seems like the easy normal thing to do.

How about fines for littering that pertain to Thais and not just foreigners? huge revenue there.

Greasy sidewalks left by 'street' vendors making money on public property? How is that not the same as littering

if not more dangerous?

One step at a time, photo-opps are the first step to anything......

• Like 2

I had a few ideas that might make just as good of a photo-opp:

trash bins, especially at the piers. Just take a look at the trash trapped around the

piers like at Siriraj, it's amazing and not a trash can in site. Catch the last boat and you can see

the workers sweeping and throwing all the trash into the water. Seems like the easy normal thing to do.

How about fines for littering that pertain to Thais and not just foreigners? huge revenue there.

Greasy sidewalks left by 'street' vendors making money on public property? How is that not the same as littering

if not more dangerous?

One step at a time, photo-opps are the first step to anything......

Trash bins would be a good start. I think the problems with the canals are not because of the lack of bins but the view of seeing them permanently so dirty. I take the Saen Saeb boat every morning and evening and didn't see many people throwing the garbage to the water. Also, on the morning you can see the cleaning boat fishing all the stuff, but still the next day is as dirty as the previous. I believe the real problem here comes from the slum areas on the canal way, where people throw everything onto the canal (mattresses, bags full of garbages, fecal waters...); it is a though thing to change, but I would start by trying to educate those people, provide them with a waste disposal system for both garbage and water. Once the people saw the canal getting cleaner they would stop throwing things. I also believe some of the stuff there was thrown on the street and then carried by the wind.

Littering fines should be good if they were actually enforced. As for the greasy sidewalks, I have seen some sellers cleaning the path with soap after they finish the day, and many with just water; however cleaning oily stuff on a concrete or porous surface is like impossible. Maybe the could put tiles on the areas designated for the sellers and let the people slide when wet lol. Hard to solve IMO if you want to allow those people to sell and the convenience of buying on the street.

Anyway, permanent education and sensibilization should be the way to go instead of doing these stupid one time a year clean campaigns

Good start, now get the vendors off sidewalks along Sukumvit

So you can see the ugly issan street walkers better? It's part of culture and history in TH, if you don't like it then .... piss off to a different country? Probably one of them jobless old pervs in a 5k a month hell hole anyway.

Good start, now get the vendors off sidewalks along Sukumvit

On Soi 11, the grease around the food vendors is so slippery, I only walk on the street now, they have alternate sides of the road parking, but the vendors are always in the same place............ever step on one of th lose concrete blocks and have that nasty greasy water spash up on your nice clean feet??? Foot massage here I come.

clap2.gif