Another case of a foreigner being treated unfairly in Thailand?

HoudiniXLogic

I missed the part where he explained where his entire life savings, plus any resalable possessions, were spirited away to.

Now he can't afford rice, because he had to pay $2k in bail?

My BS detector went off pretty early on, so it's possible I tuned out before explained that incredible bit of the story.

I think being skeptical is reasonable. But there isn't enough info posted here to confirm this is for real ... or not.

And yet the comments keep flowing - on a thread of pure bs and conjecture....

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If and when he returns to Canada - all Canadians listen please there is a 3 month waiting period - he has gone on "record" with the Embassy and here and Youtube saying he's lived abroad for 12 years and has only worked a few months last year in Canada.

He does NOT meet the residency requirement and must wait 3 months - he can purchase online "Visitors to Canada" insurance RBC (Royal Bank Of Canada) and the basics will be covered.

I hope everything works out but simply getting on a plane and walking into emerg won't work in this situation.

This is one of those threads where the response, "sorry, good luck and keep me posted" is most appropriate. I know guys who have 30k baht in their bank account and spend 15k on some toy to enjoy for a few weeks. escapism, it works for the short-term but seems fiscally not the best idea. so, to the OP, I hope you get better and everything works out. best of luck. everything else is just wasted negative energy based on speculation. when in doubt, go positive. wai2.gif

Taking for granted that the plaintiff’s lawyer is not stupid he knows that he cannot win a case for defamation after first, two years ago, the police did not press this charge, ie did not forward the case to the prosecutor, and this year a judge considered it unjustified and instead wanted to sentence the accused for the lesser offence of insult, and it seems quite clear that the plaintiff is proceeding with this false charge of defamation for the purpose of causing the accused as much inconvenience as possible with the repeated delays in sentencing this involves.

From the Criminal Code, regarding defamation:

Section 326 Whoever, imputes anything to the other person before a third person in a manner likely to impair the reputation of such other person or to expose such other person to be hated or scorned, is said to commit defamation, and shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding one year or fined not exceeding twenty thousand Baht, or both.

Section 328 If the offence of defamation be committed by means of publication of a document, drawing, painting, cinematography film, picture or letters made visible by any means, gramophone record or an other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means, the offender shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding two years and fined not exceeding two hundred thousand Baht.

Regarding insult:

Section 393 Whoever, insulting the other person in his presence or by publication, shall be imprisoned not out of one month or fined not out of one thousand Baht, or both.

At the first read, i truely believe this story was bullshit until i read he was jailed in Chonburi.... and i remember in some place anything can happen... really.

Few years ago, i did talk with a lawyer, one of my friend was in trouble. We did talk about many subject, like blacklist and other stuff.

And the lawyer told me some weird story about others tourists...........story that happen frequently in Thailand but that you never heard.

Giving us a false idea about police... They are real big criminals!

His story: one tourist guy was spending his holiday in pattaya with a bg. After one month, before leaving he got arrested by the police because he didnt give enough money to the bg. They just throw him in redemand prison in attempt to extort as much they can from him. But he was unable to pay so after one month he was still rotting in jail. And this guy can not afford a lawyer. When you found yourself in the hand of the justice, they can do whatever they want.

oops remember another story....sick.gif

• Like 1

Where is the expat areas ?`I'm living in the north-east and we are about twenty foreigers in this area, 50 km around. Is this an expat area ?

I hope this man gets help soon. I don't care whose "fault" it was.

One wider "lesson" for people reading this. The insult the Canadian used is MASSIVELY more serious an insult in Thailand than it is in the U.S. or Canada. You can get killed for that here if done in person.

I don't know about how that insult is viewed in Germany though. Perhaps some expats have internalized Thai values about such insults.

BTW, does someone know WHERE in Thailand this Canadian lives?

If he is an expat area, surely there are people who would be happy to directly provide at the very least some foodstuffs.

Where is the expat areas ?`I'm living in the north-east and we are about twenty foreigers in this area, 50 km around. Is this an expat area ?

I hope this man gets help soon. I don't care whose "fault" it was.

One wider "lesson" for people reading this. The insult the Canadian used is MASSIVELY more serious an insult in Thailand than it is in the U.S. or Canada. You can get killed for that here if done in person.

I don't know about how that insult is viewed in Germany though. Perhaps some expats have internalized Thai values about such insults.

BTW, does someone know WHERE in Thailand this Canadian lives?

If he is an expat area, surely there are people who would be happy to directly provide at the very least some foodstuffs.

No, you're in the boonies, mate.

Maybe I should sue you for this ??? Maybe I can get 100,- baht

Whats wrong with this German ?

I'm guessing he didn't like the idea of lightly licking the Canadians ring piece and eating his <deleted>.

Among many other things. Such as media censorship, these are the same laws the former Trade Unionist Commo Australian Attorney General, Nicola Roxon tried to introduce into Australia early this year. The media and public backlash was severe, very severe, they were thrown out and she resigned from politics and the ALP were soundly defeated at last months election. As they should have been.

Hard to comment on this story. There are always two sides to a story like this and we're only getting one. Is that really all he wrote in the email? if there is some truth in it, it's that the German is a smart cookie and knows where he stands within Thailand's Laws and obviously intends to punish the Canadian.

What kind of person responds to an 'offer' with that sort of crap anyway? Yeah, so he said 'no offers', in big bold letters, so what. That's fine until a few weeks go by and your broke and you have had no offers. A click of the mouse key and it's gone, deleted. Is it really that hard?

The dredead email. It now must be responsible for more problems than just about anything else on the planet. Jobs lost, careers and reputations ruined, governments ousted, etc. Why is it that people just can't 'grasp' email. They think laws don't apply to it. I used to have a special folder where I kept all my 'crazies' (email) but lost it when the HDD on my Notebook shit itself. 'Eat my shit' is rather tame really.

I don't send, nor do I respond to abusive email. NEVER. EVER.

Once you hit that mouse button there is no turning back. it's gone. With your 'footprint' firmly upon it. And it's a legal document in a court of law.

It*s already there !!! Even the legal system.

I'd like to know what the German Embassy think about this situation.

I also wonder if making the derisory offer for the computer could be construed as an offence which warranted a retaliation in kind.

Offering 6000 for something listed at 8000 is hardly derisory or insulting.

If it was the whole bargaining culture in Thailand would collapse into anarchy.

The guy is dodgy. He is not broke.

I do not believe in this..but.... if it is true...I feel sorry for him but cannot do not feel so much understanding.

If a person you know or a friend, in your country, do something wrong with you, probably you will talk with him about, or you will give an advise and that will be all. If a stranger do the same you will take him to the court.

If that discrimination?

I saw many times young foreigners and Thai smoking pot on the streets. That is again the Thai laws. The police may look away, and be soft with Thai people, but not with most foreigners.

Very young people can act stupid and I understand that because I did many times when I was in my early 20's. I understand the acts of mentally sick or drunk people. Cannot not do it with mature people coming to live and work in a totally different culture talking and and acting like they do in their own country and family, expecting no consequences....

I can certainly believe these problems can result from so called deformation, many farangs here in Thailand still understandably think with a Farang mind. Law as we know it in the west, simple does not exist here. I've been through the Thai courts twice on deformation, first time got completely screwed or should I say framed, second time I was accused along with my Thai wife,of a completely false made up case, luckily and I mean luckily we were able to prove we where more than 1000kl away when we were supposed to have committed this crime. Now my wife is pressing deformation charges against the person who accused us, I am not involved in this case,as our lawyer and the prosecutor informed us that it would be far better if my wife instigated the charge alone, So far it has cost us a fair amount in cash to pay the police Etc to carry out their duties, and it's still taking more than two years. What Pissies me off in regards to this case, is that a fellow Farang is causing all this trouble over basically nothing, why, could it be that the German along with his wife are tempted by the thought of gaining 200,000 bht.

Ok people I have read many sarcastic, insulting and non believers of my case and I don't plan on posting to this thread every day. The point is the case is real and it has been dropped 2 times now, first by the lead policeman in 2011 and now by the Public Prosecutor. The German made his one time only appeal as we were told when I went to collect my PP and money last week and the next date that the Prosecutor can take the case is on Dec 4th to which he has already told my lawyer that of course he will not let it go to court but will,again drop the charges and give my my things back. The German has only 1 appeal so this is good. The point of my embassy not stepping in because as far as they know I am completely broke and they wont even cover the cost of the cortisone shot at 50,000 THB. Like I say, I paid $22,000.00 CAD in taxes last year and only received $8000.00 back so you think they would help.

I still have the 50k to pay for the shot next week but then i would be broke. My options are to not get the shot and put up with excruciating pain every day but can survive until Dec 4th or pay for the shot and sell my personal possessions. Of course I have to so I can survive but in real I haven't done anything wrong. Yes I replied with some swear words and maybe I should have been smarter and just deleted his email but instead I researched all the questions he had about the computer and sent it all back to him so when he offered 6k sure I was pissed but doe that mean my life should be ruined?

Since my return here in March I have bought a motorbike and donated it to the Father Ray Foundation, bought large Buddha statues for a new temple, sent 20,000 baht of warm clothes to the North and also bought 20,000 bah of rice that I donated. This was because I planned on going back to work in June or July and I had the money so why not? I got nice certificated for this but that is not why I did it. We showed the cop all of this to try and prove character reference that I am not a criminal but a nice guy but he wasn't even interested at looking at it all.

I'm sorry but I forgot to say thank you for all of you who offered help and suggestions of how or what I should do. There are some good folk left on this planet. I have recieved offers of money from all around the world because of my video but have not accepet one penny. If I was a criminal I think I would be taking it. But instead I replied with my thanks and said I would keep their emails in case it gets worse.

In 13 years here I have never had a problem with a Thai or anyone for that matter so why this guy has such a strong vendeta I have no idea.

You need to get over the tax thing. The $22,000 you paid is not held separate for your use. It is usually wasted by govt officials so next year you can pay another $22,000 in taxes or more. Your FREE healthcare apparently comes with strings attached. You not playing by the rules so no one wants to help you it seems.

PS. So you really werent expecting to die in 2 weeks? Shame on you............................lol.

I can certainly believe these problems can result from so called deformation, many farangs here in Thailand still understandably think with a Farang mind. Law as we know it in the west, simple does not exist here. I've been through the Thai courts twice on deformation, first time got completely screwed or should I say framed, second time I was accused along with my Thai wife,of a completely false made up case, luckily and I mean luckily we were able to prove we where more than 1000kl away when we were supposed to have committed this crime. Now my wife is pressing deformation charges against the person who accused us, I am not involved in this case,as our lawyer and the prosecutor informed us that it would be far better if my wife instigated the charge alone, So far it has cost us a fair amount in cash to pay the police Etc to carry out their duties, and it's still taking more than two years. What Pissies me off in regards to this case, is that a fellow Farang is causing all this trouble over basically nothing, why, could it be that the German along with his wife are tempted by the thought of gaining 200,000 bht.

Tell us your story. HOw does it happen twice?

I love hearing Mr Gone repeatedly tell us about his generous spirit. Fishing for a sucker.....he's in the right place fortunately...

Fishing for a sucker? Didnt I just say that I have turned down all money that people want to send to me?

And to the reply above yours, is it a crime to be generous when one can afford to be?

Gone - before you spend 50,000 baht on your corticosteroid injection please consider the efficacy of use long term, perhaps a post in the medical forum so some of us can suggest pain management for the short term. Also usage of this drug is not as prevelant back home as here and you may find difficulty finding a Doctor or Pharmacist willing to prescribe it.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(10)61160-9/abstract

You need to get over the tax thing. The $22,000 you paid is not held separate for your use. It is usually wasted by govt officials so next year you can pay another $22,000 in taxes or more. Your FREE healthcare apparently comes with strings attached. You not playing by the rules so no one wants to help you it seems.

PS. So you really werent expecting to die in 2 weeks? Shame on you............................lol.

I never said they hold my tax money for my use. It actually goes into Canada 's infrastructure. All I said was why can't they help with the 50k medical and just take my passport when I arrive back home until I pay the debt?

You obviously have NO idea how stress effects a Diabetic and after hearing that news of having to stay here for another 2 months, yes I did think I was going to die so I made the video to warn people about emails within Thailand. Also my lawer said I need to contact my embassy strait away which I did in tears and as far as they knew, yes I could die or at least have me leg amputated.

I know you are one of these people who would complain somehow even if a bag of gold fell on your head but to be putting me down for ending up in this situation of injustice shows people what kind of a person you really are

I never said they hold my tax money for my use. It actually goes into Canada 's infrastructure. All I said was why can't they help with the 50k medical and just take my passport when I arrive back home until I pay the debt?

You obviously have NO idea how stress effects a Diabetic and after hearing that news of having to stay here for another 2 months, yes I did think I was going to die so I made the video to warn people about emails within Thailand. Also my lawer said I need to contact my embassy strait away which I did in tears and as far as they knew, yes I could die or at least have me leg amputated.

I know you are one of these people who would complain somehow even if a bag of gold fell on your head but to be putting me down for ending up in this situation of injustice shows people what kind of a person you really are.

Also what rules am I not playing by? I was re-patriated, applied for my medical card and received the day before I flew out

Edited by Gone

I love hearing Mr Gone repeatedly tell us about his generous spirit. Fishing for a sucker.....he's in the right place fortunately...

Fishing for a sucker? Didnt I just say that I have turned down all money that people want to send to me?

And to the reply above yours, is it a crime to be generous when one can afford to be?

Giving away motorcycles when you can't pay for your own health care, and then insulting Germans (and we know how that ends up..). Have another Molson, use that 50k to buy a ticket back to Moose land, and don't come back til you can be healthy and self sufficient.

• Like 2

Giving away motorcycles when you can't pay for your own health care, and then insulting Germans (and we know how that ends up..). Have another Molson, use that 50k to buy a ticket back to Moose land, and don't come back til you can be healthy and self sufficient.

I have never had medical insurance here. I have always paid cash but yes that is stupid and next trip back I will get it.

You must have missed my post that clearly states that I have a return open ticket to go back.

You think that telling someone in an email to whom I was researching all the info he wanted then to,offer me 6k for a good HP notebook and me telling him to eat sheite is that bad that he should be so revengeful? He must wear a skirt at home as far as I am concerned.

What am i missing? If op isnt a criminol why doesnt he just take peoples money and go home. He can pay them back with interest.

Buying fire insurance after your house burns down? Is that how its done in CANADA? Your dibetes and neck issues surely would cost you a ton of money in premiums if you want those issues covered.

Edited by oogster8

Gone - before you spend 50,000 baht on your corticosteroid injection please consider the efficacy of use long term, perhaps a post in the medical forum so some of us can suggest pain management for the short term. Also usage of this drug is not as prevelant back home as here and you may find difficulty finding a Doctor or Pharmacist willing to prescribe it.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(10)61160-9/abstract

Thank you for your very good suggestion however I have been going to Samitivej Hospital and am now on pain killers and anti inflamitory pills that seem to be working so I'm hoping they work. Hentold me if I still have pain that the cortisone shot will be given next week and that costs 50k and he has the MRI that shows exactly where the shot has to go into my neck.

Thank you anyways Todd