Molesting Phuket taxi driver gets suspended sentence

Lite Beer

That's out of order, I thought Phuket was trying to improve protection for tourists? ( okay I know already ).

Repeated molestation over several hours should never have resulted in a suspended sentence. Quite frankly ridiculous.

A little more than " out of order" !!! As usual there is one law for them and another for everyone else. It would be great if this victim's parents are influential people. There are a lot of Cinese and Thai/Chinese here and i sincerely hope that they will subjugate this taxi driver to a fitting punishment for the crime. He will then speak a lot higher and be unable to repeat his offence.

Thai and Thai/Chinese are not the same thing. They may look almost the same, but Chinese are foreigners like everyone else and Thai/Chinese are Thais with Chinese ethnicity (though they usually also have Thai or other minority ethnicity too) and as Thai nationals may be treated differently from foreigners. In any case, justice should be given not because of the victim's nationality, her foreignness or anything like that...locals, foreigners they should all be treated with respect and get the same form of justice.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the ambassador from China has very strong words to ridicule this court decision. Just complete nonsense. Unbelievable.

Let's hope the Chinese put pressure on the Thai's. for sure western governments never have.

If a Thai murders a foreigner and it's his first offense does he get away with it? As per the recent murder of an American in Krabi, it would seem so.

I'm pretty sure western governments also would - after all, look at the Australian government involvement in drug trials involving one of their nationals in Singapore in 2005 I think and more recently in Indonesia. I think what you are trying to say is that governments will probably dismiss what they consider to be "petty criminal acts" even if they can be considered rather serious as something that needs to be put in a travel alert bulletin, but they can't possibly investigate every case, particularly if it didn't involve major physical trauma or death or meddle in the affairs of a foreign country's legal system. That wouldn't be looked at favourably by the Thai authorities - whether the complaining party is China, Australia, the USA etc. the response will probably be - "we have a fair and impartial system and the perpetrator was given an appropriate sentence". China in particular has a policy to not interfere in the affair's of other countries, or at least, that's what they publicly say.

The one good thing about the fast track "Justice" system, is that this stuff floats up so much quicker. If I had my say in China, I would give Thailand a 13 months suspended sentence: no Chinese tourists for that long (at least). There are other places for them to go in SE Asia, and their money with them. This outcome under "law" is unacceptable on all levels.

Yes that will likely lead to a quick response. With Thailand threaten a tourism boycott and the whole country goes into overdrive to try to fix the problem at hand to prevent such an occurrence. As if there wasn't anything else in life but tourism, but as we know Thailand is the most tourism obsessed country in the world and people like me are kind of fed up with the whole tourism rhetoric in Thailand. There's nothing wrong with a few tourists, but few other countries constantly talk about it, try to get more visitors to come and then do very little to prevent scams and the like from occurring.

• Like 1

I hope the ambassador from China has very strong words to ridicule this court decision. Just complete nonsense. Unbelievable.

Let's hope the Chinese put pressure on the Thai's. for sure western governments never have.

If a Thai murders a foreigner and it's his first offense does he get away with it? As per the recent murder of an American in Krabi, it would seem so.

I'm pretty sure western governments also would - after all, look at the Australian government involvement in drug trials involving one of their nationals in Singapore in 2005 I think and more recently in Indonesia. I think what you are trying to say is that governments will probably dismiss what they consider to be "petty criminal acts" even if they can be considered rather serious as something that needs to be put in a travel alert bulletin, but they can't possibly investigate every case, particularly if it didn't involve major physical trauma or death or meddle in the affairs of a foreign country's legal system. That wouldn't be looked at favourably by the Thai authorities - whether the complaining party is China, Australia, the USA etc. the response will probably be - "we have a fair and impartial system and the perpetrator was given an appropriate sentence". China in particular has a policy to not interfere in the affair's of other countries, or at least, that's what they publicly say.

I don't consider Murder to be a petty criminal act. As for Foreign governments trying to get involved in events and cases in Other countries, perhaps countries like Singapore with a relatively non corrupt government and judiciary, would be prepared to listen to other governments concerns, however countries such as here in Thailand, will at best say they will look into it,but with no intention of doing so, example how many times have Foreign Embassies raised their concerns regarding criminal activities in Phuket, results Zilch.

I don't consider Murder to be a petty criminal act. As for Foreign governments trying to get involved in events and cases in Other countries, perhaps countries like Singapore with a relatively non corrupt government and judiciary, would be prepared to listen to other governments concerns, however countries such as here in Thailand, will at best say they will look into it,but with no intention of doing so, example how many times have Foreign Embassies raised their concerns regarding criminal activities in Phuket, results Zilch.

Looking forward to the link that shows the killer(s) of the American in Krabi are getting away with it.

That judge is below standards.

If I where Chinese I would ask my embassy to put pressure on him and second I would launch a big internet offensive against making holidays in Thailand in common. Thailand have lost his attraction to the western tourists and now lure the Chinese and Indian tourists.

• Like 1

That judge is below standards.

If I where Chinese I would ask my embassy to put pressure on him and second I would launch a big internet offensive against making holidays in Thailand in common. Thailand have lost his attraction to the western tourists and now lure the Chinese and Indian tourists.

The Chinese are very reluctant to pressure the judicial system in another country. The main reason for that is very simple: they don't want any interference with their own judicial system.

• Like 1

... yeah, well 'nuff said i think, we are back at the Chinese 11mm armysidegunbullet & a little self-justice, that usually helps ... but sure enough the following is a good one in this connection:

New Attorney General vows neutrality, honesty, independence
By English News

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/672549-thailands-new-attorney-general-vows-neutrality-honesty-independence/

... well mon, bring it on !!

A fault confessed is half forgiven, it looks like thailand confirms this stupid proverb !

I hope China will doing something as prevent its citizens from danger lurking them in thailand ! As a strong nation they should hit thailand where it hurts.

But because of the worst corruption in China than in thailand they will do nothing because they have too much to lose in their trade with thailand ! And anyway to see how they treat their employees like slaves. Chinese dead or serious injured is not cared cuz there are enough others for prosperity of China ! Chinese thought

Edited by Westaurel

Australia appealed for clemency, but the Singapore government went ahead and executed the man

"The judge initially sentenced Paitoon Kruain to 26 months in jail and a fine of B21,000, but both were halved because he had pleaded guilty.

The judge then decided to suspend the sentence because the offences abduction, molestation and driving under the influence of alcohol and methamphetamine, were all first convictions."

Are you kidding me?

"abduction, molestation and driving under the influence of alcohol and methamphetamine. "

The judge should do 26 months for being a moron.

I couldn't agree with you more….Amazing Thailand

I have added this to my Facebook page and I hope others do the same, to whatever social network you belong too. Hopefully someone has a circle of 7 that can make this article world news !

I have been re-posting this on my page every day. Just out here trying to save lives...
  • Like 1

I have added this to my Facebook page and I hope others do the same, to whatever social network you belong too. Hopefully someone has a circle of 7 that can make this article world news !

I have been re-posting this on my page every day. Just out here trying to save lives...

Same here

It really needs to be on "Weibo" - which is basically a Chinese version of Facebook.