BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
davetrout

circumcision

Perhaps the WHA is concerned about countries with lack of personal hygiene (soap) and countries with no education on transmitted diseases.

NOT, first world countries with known knowledge of risks and excellent hygiene practice. NOT archaic procedures.

"Perhaps' doesn't enter the equasion read the report. Here's part of it.

WHO and UNAIDS announce recommendations from expert consultation on male circumcision for HIV prevention

Paris/Geneva, 28 March 2007 - In response to the urgent need to reduce the number of new HIV infections globally, the World Health Organization (WHO) and the UNAIDS Secretariat convened an international expert consultation to determine whether male circumcision should be recommended for the prevention of HIV infection.

Based on the evidence presented, which was considered to be compelling, experts attending the consultation recommended that male circumcision now be recognized as an additional important intervention to reduce the risk of heterosexually acquired HIV infection in men. The international consultation, which was held from 6-8 March 2007 in Montreux, Switzerland, was attended by participants representing a wide range of stakeholders, including governments, civil society, researchers, human rights and women's health advocates, young people, funding agencies and implementing partners.

"The recommendations represent a significant step forward in HIV prevention", said Dr Kevin De Cock, Director, HIV/AIDS Department, World Health Organization. "Countries with high rates of heterosexual HIV infection and low rates of male circumcision now have an additional intervention which can reduce the risk of HIV infection in heterosexual men. Scaling up male circumcision in such countries will result in immediate benefit to individuals. However, it will be a number of years before we can expect to see an impact on the epidemic from such investment."

They're talking 'Global' not some backward countries as you try to implicate Transam.

The legallity of it is another discussion I am more than welcome to have, but as of yet no one has been able to justify why it is carried out in this day and age, forget sub saharan Africa 2000 years ago.

Firstly can we stop calling this "mutilation"? Done in a correct medical facility the proper definition should be cosmetic surgery. Which is what's being refered to by the op. As for justifying this procedure then you need to ask 'The World Health Organisation' and 'UNAIDS' who

recommend circumcision as part of a comprehensive program for prevention of HIV transmission in areas with high endemic rates of HIV

If my son is going to travel the world and do the things that I think all parents expect their sons to do then I'm for prevention. And speaking as a supporter of circumcision, until you've seen both side of the story I don't think you should really comment. Me, I got surgery aged 14. At that age it came as a great embarrasement to me and only wish my father had seen good sense in getting me done as a baby.

Contrary to popular myths it has no affect on your sex life whatsoever.

You were a lucky chap having an active sex life before the age of 14.

What percentage of cut adults make a thing about the "damage" that has been done to them? Clearly, much less than one percent probably fired up by emotionally charged radical anti-circumcision propaganda on the internet. Personally, I am very grateful my parents did this loving thing for me at a time I can't remember now, and yes the skilled surgeon did a marvelous job of it, no complaints. Who needs the extra baggage with all it's now documented health issues? The poster who called such parents "selfish" doesn't have a clue!

On the sexual pleasure question, I have read that cut men have a greater tendency to explore OTHER erogenous zones on their bodies and what is wrong with that? The entire body is a sex organ with the BRAIN being the most important one.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Those who had it done purely as a ritual as a babe will NEVER admit it was wrong. Suppose cos as they grew up their todger was just a todger and they know know different.

Isn't it strange that most of our planets mammals have skin covering stuff, how strange eh. rolleyes.gif BUT, they do not suffer rituals do they.

You were a lucky chap having an active sex life before the age of 14.

Yeah I suppose I could have explained it a little better?

Those who had it done purely as a ritual as a babe will NEVER admit it was wrong. Suppose cos as they grew up their todger was just a todger and they know know different.

Isn't it strange that most of our planets mammals have skin covering stuff, how strange eh. rolleyes.gif BUT, they do not suffer rituals do they.

Animals do have rituals and in those rituals they get injured and killed . The main one is the mating ritual.As for comparing humans to animals, then you are really struggling on this matter. My last post on something that's gone off topic.

You're focus on "ritual" just clouds the issue. It's a MEDICAL procedure. Sometimes there is religious involvement and sometimes not. Personally I think religious based practitioners need to be fully qualified medically and the procedure done in a clinical setting. I think that's a valid issue, if it's to be done, it needs to be done as safely as possible.

As far as human practices being different than other animals ... so this is news?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

You're focus on "ritual" just clouds the issue. It's a MEDICAL procedure. Sometimes there is religious involvement and sometimes not. Personally I think religious based practitioners need to be fully qualified medically and the procedure done in a clinical setting. I think that's a valid issue, if it's to be done, it needs to be done as safely as possible.

As far as human practices being different than other animals ... so this is news?

laugh.png , a typical excuse reply. laugh.png

I respect all people's right not to circumcise their own children. I just wish parents get informed on all the issues and make a rational decision. Some will choose to do it and some won't. There is no rational argument for everyone to do it and also no rational argument for nobody to do it.

I respect all people's right not to circumcise their own children. I just wish parents get informed on all the issues and make a rational decision. Some will choose to do it and some won't. There is no rational argument for everyone to do it and also no rational argument for nobody to do it.

There IS a rational argument not to tamper with a babes bits. Their bits belong to them. Noooooooo question. If we were not meant to have these bits it would have been sorted out by evolution. NO OTHER mammal on our plant needs being cut about. I am fed up with reading excuses for a babe being cut up via thoughts of a period when folk didn't understand about medical stuff that we do now. It is an unnecessary procedure from a bi-gone era.

• Like 2

The origin of the practice was indeed religious, across many cultures.

The modern reality of the practice is sometimes religious and sometimes not.

Please refer to the links already provided for the medical advantages of being cut.

Please refer to the links already provided for the medical advantages of being cut.

Rubbish. Gawd.

Rubbish. Gawd.

How is it rubbish?

Like I said, in my generation of American males, the vast majority were cut, and the vast majority were cut in hospitals with no religious connotation whatsoever.

The links speak for themselves. There is objective proof of lower risk for certain health problems for the lucky among us who are cut.

Just saying rubbish doesn't cut it. It says nothing except that you don't agree which is no kind of debate argument.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

Rubbish. Gawd.

How is it rubbish?

Like I said, in my generation of American males, the vast majority were cut, and the vast majority were cut in hospitals with no religious connotation whatsoever.

The links speak for themselves. There is objective proof of lower risk for certain health problems for the lucky among us who are cut.

Just saying rubbish doesn't cut it. It says nothing except that you don't agree which is no kind of debate argument.

Cheers.

I have said lots on this subject with no real answers other than ''it's OK''. Rubbish. I know your background and why your todger was tampered with, nooooo medical reason what so ever. A ritual that belongs in the history books.