Khon Kaen - everyone likes it !

David48

Khon Kaen - everyone seems to like it !

Khon-Kaen-city-gate-300x191.jpg

I've never actually been there ... to be honest, I haven't travelled much in Issan to date.

Have been to Surin and Udon, but that's the limit of my experience, so I curious to know more.

Talking to various folk, many people remember or speak well of Khon Kaen.

So what's the appeal of Khon Kaen, the City and the wider Province?

I don't live there, but travel there often for shopping... Although it has lots of stores and access to many items that smaller cities don't offer, I find it far too crowded and hectic... Just a little too large for my personal tastes and if I wanted to live in a larger city I think I would choose Udon over Khon Kaen...

Pianoman

• Like 2

We have to go there regularly for my wife's medical needs.

She has to have regular check-ups at the large cancer hospital there.

I met her in Khon Kaen when she was half way through chemo treatment after a major op.

It has one or two nice restaurants and is an interesting city but nothing to write home about (as they say).

• Like 1

It's much the same as any other city in Thailand, loads of concrete and one big traffic jam.

At least it does have some reasonably nice park and lake-side areas.

I live 25 km north of Khon Kaen and was so pleased when they opened a Tesco-Lotus on the Northern outskirts. Now I hardly ever have to drive into Khon Kaen itself :)

• Like 1

I used to live in Khon Kaen and although I have moved to Chiang Mai few years ago, I still go there once or twice a year for personal reasons. It is a nice place, it's developing rapidly and there are very few, if any, tourists there. However, it has its draw backs, particularly for expats, who look for some cultural (non Thai) events, nice surroundings - either beaches or mountains and the likes. If one talks about towns in Issan, no doubt it is the nicest, most central and fastest developing town ( in the whole of Thailand, I believe) in that area of Thailand.

It's a university town, arguably the "de-facto capital of the northeast", on the crossroads of the Friendship Highway and the East West Corridor from Dong Ha in Vietnam through Laos and across to Mae Sot and Burma. It's easily accessible (has an airport) and is well serviced. It is also a friendly place, but that is not so unusual in Thailand. I lived there from 1989 to 1991 and absolutely loved it. Back then a farang would be stared at walking down the street, there was no traffic problem and you could park your car anywhere. Not so now. It's mushroomed and in the early morning peak hour (it used to be more like "peak minute") it is not all that different from Bangkok or Chiangmai. If you want rustic charm and would like to get an impression of what Khon Kaen used to be like, go have a look at Loei. Otherwise, if you want something more developed, Chiangmai beats Khon Kaen hands down these days.

• Like 2

I felt stigmatised and uncomfortable in Khon Kaen .

In Some ways you are right Goompa-- it is not what one would call a farrang friendly town---not that the people are unfriendly-- but compared to its neighbor Udon Thani ...which of course has a history of farangs station there for many years, even the infamous Air America flying out of there, many of those folks married in the 70s and now have / are returning to Udon many with adult age children , making it an Issan Town with a high level of English and acceptance of farang culture.

** KK is no where near the de-facto capital of the northeast---all the development is going on in Udon Thani, including the new university & the building of the high speed train station to china, U.T also has twice the population of KK.

Edited by oxo1947
  • Like 1

In Some ways you are right Goompa-- it is not what one would call a farrang friendly town---not that the people are unfriendly-- but compared to its neighbor Udon Thani ...which of course has a history of farangs station there for many years, even the infamous Air America flying out of there, many of those folks married in the 70s and now have / are returning to Udon many with adult age children , making it an Issan Town with a high level of English and acceptance of farang culture.

** KK is no where near the de-facto capital of the northeast---all the development is going on in Udon Thani, including the new university & the building of the high speed train station to china, U.T also has twice the population of KK.

I wrote "arguably" the de-facto capital, and got an argument immediately! OK - point taken - Udon has a higher population - but population is not everything. And the claim that ALL the development is going on in Udon is unsupported. Perhaps it has the highest farang population, and probably the highest populaton of mia-farang, which might make it the de-facto expat centre of the northeast. And all the newly rich Lao from Vientiane flock there in droves on the weekends to spend their money, owing to it's proximity to the Friendship Bridge. But for the Thais I maintain Khon Kaen has always been more important. Consluates of both Lao PDR and Vietnam are located there. A quick Wikipedia search (for starters) yields the following: "Khon Kaen is a regional center for education, financial institutions, government offices and transportation. The city is also an industrial center, especially for the region's silk trade, as well as an agricultural hub."

• Like 2

I wrote "arguably" the de-facto capital, and got an argument immediately! OK - point taken - Udon has a higher population - but population is not everything. And the claim that ALL the development is going on in Udon is unsupported. Perhaps it has the highest farang population, and probably the highest populaton of mia-farang, which might make it the de-facto expat centre of the northeast. And all the newly rich Lao from Vientiane flock there in droves on the weekends to spend their money, owing to it's proximity to the Friendship Bridge. But for the Thais I maintain Khon Kaen has always been more important. Consluates of both Lao PDR and Vietnam are located there. A quick Wikipedia search (for starters) yields the following: "Khon Kaen is a regional center for education, financial institutions, government offices and transportation. The city is also an industrial center, especially for the region's silk trade, as well as an agricultural hub."

Khon Kaen has been dsignated for more importance, for a lot of things, but including the de-facto capital of the North East.

KKU, the University, has already some Government- and Asian offices in it's grounds.

And for consulates, why is it that China, Lao and Vietnam all have a consulate in Khon Kaen, and not in Korat, or Udon Thani.

Indeed, Udon and Korat may have a bigger farang contingent, but that is in the eyes of most Thai of no consequence, at all.

Bar the Governor of Khon Kaen, who indeed thinks the English speaking expats VERY important for teaching languages.

But for Thai-Asian connections, KK is preferred by the neighbouring countries.

Let's face it guys, what we think is important has not much importance for the Thai people.

As long as the younger Thai people think KK is the IN-city, the place to be, well that is important.

Besides that, why is it so many Government authorities are buying houses in Khon Kaen.

Think about that.

It might even be some truth in the rumours KK is designated to be the second seat of Government.

I forgot to say that many International companies are building or going to build new factories in Khon Kaen, for the Thai market.

• Like 1

Surprising to learn that Udon Thani has a larger foreign population, I thought that KK being larger would have the higer number of foreigners. I live in Kalasin and have to go to KK to go anywhere.

Universities and hospitals, cement and highways. I find it a little more intimidating than Udon Thani.

I lived in KK from 1976-1980. In those the days the new KK university dominated the city even though it was 4 km out of town. I remember that GIs from Udorn were banned from the city. There were absolutely no permanent foreigners living in Khon Kaen then. Only those of us on 2-3 year contracts. It has always been a commercial city, serving first the rural sector and later the numerous small industries that sprouted out in and around the city. I believe at one time it was the fastest growing city in Thailand. Udorn to the north has always been viewed upon as been a rather decadent city, especially during the period of the Americans using the airbase there. And that is why, to this very day, Udorn, has one of the largest populations of foreigners living there married to Thais.

Having said all this, I still enjoy very much indeed going back to Khon Kaen and relaxing at the Pullman Hotel for a few days. However, I would not like to live in Khon Kaen permanently, because as an above post stated, it is very much a concrete city and I find it extremely hot compared to other northeast Thailand cities.

• Like 1

I've spent a lot of time in KK and Udon over the years, and I think there are elements of truth in a lot of what's being said.

But from my perspective, KK has been/was the de facto capital of the NorthEast, and has the more prominent university (KKU) and its related hospital there. However, as best as I can tell, the growth and development these days is more oriented to Udon and the surrounding areas.

I definitely agree that Udon is more accustomed to an expat farang presence. And with the newish and quite nice Central Mall there and the airport and improvements in hospitals there, I'd say Udon is outpacing KK as a place where I as a farang would want to live.

But everyone picks their living places according to different criteria... Some folks want to get away from the farang lifestyle, whereas others can't do without some element of it. For me, KK fits more with the former approach, while Udon fits more with the latter.

• Like 2

There is a massive industrial estate going into Khon Kaen soon. There will be a Chinese embassy in KKC for shipping documents into China and visas. The east west highway is planned to go through KKC. The distribution for stuff in and out of China will be in kkc.

KKC is going to explode in the next 5 years. They will if they haven't already screw it up.

i live 22ks south of kk on a farm, love being close enough to the city as kk has everything i need, for me kk over udon anyday for me, once you live here it grows on you not for everyone but then i am not a bar person and crave falang company.

• Like 1

Udon is just so much more interesting. Better shopping, and can be more relaxing than Khon Kaen, even though bigger. I love be 40 minutes from Nong Khai. Udon has a nice ring road, and a second one...extending out further, is planned. Traffice can be a problem, but only in mid town...as expected. Khon Kaen is kind of a crossroads, and many more buses/trucks passing through. I don't care for it.

We have to go there regularly for my wife's medical needs.

She has to have regular check-ups at the large cancer hospital there.

I met her in Khon Kaen when she was half way through chemo treatment after a major op.

It has one or two nice restaurants and is an interesting city but nothing to write home about (as they say).[/quote

Hi BuriramRes

Sorry to hear about your wife problem. If you are concerned go onto Google and type in "Strong intravenous Vitamin C" and read it and also click on some of the links you will be surprised,may help some others also

Surprising to learn that Udon Thani has a larger foreign population, I thought that KK being larger would have the higer number of foreigners. I live in Kalasin and have to go to KK to go anywhere.

Universities and hospitals, cement and highways. I find it a little more intimidating than Udon Thani.

I live in Khao Wong and don't understand why you have to go to KK to go anywhere.

I don't think KK city centre has much to offer but the 'suburbs' are good for shopping.

Khon Kaen has the nicest hotel in Isaan in the Pullman.......also the Central Mall is nice to explore but for farang restaurants and bars and general nightlife and shopping,Udon is undoubtedly better.

Udon also has 3 nice lakes/parks in Nong Prajak,Nong Sim and Nong Bua which are nicer than Beung Kaen Nakhon in central Khon Kaen.

But Khon Kaen is OK for a few days break.

I was led to believe that Korat is constantly vying with Chiang Mai as Thailand's 2nd City? Presumably that would make it the de-facto capital of Issan?