I saw a man pursuing the horizon;
Round and round they sped.
I was disturbed at this;
I accosted the man.
"It is futile," I said.
"You can never..."
"You lie!" he cried,
And ran on.

Stephen Crane has written these beautiful lines that give a description of the functioning of the mind chasing illusions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Crane

• Like 1

"For hate is never conquered by hate.

Hate is conquered by love.

This is an eternal law.”

Lord Buddha

the quote comes from this http://www.poetseers.org website which offers a rich diversity of more or less wise sayings.

• Like 1

When there is no ego or selfishness, there is nothing that will destroy nature, nothing that will exploit and abuse nature. Then the external, physical aspect of nature will be able to conserve itself automatically. — Buddhadasa

• Like 2

If you don't get what you want, you suffer; if you get what you don't want, you suffer; even when you get exactly what you want, you still suffer because you can't hold on to it forever. Your mind is your predicament. It wants to be free of change. Free of pain, free of the obligations of life and death. But change is law and no amount of pretending will alter that reality. ~ Socrates

Gautama developed a set of meditation techniques that train the mind to experience reality as it is, without craving. These practices train the mind to focus all its attention on the question, ‘What am I experiencing now?’ rather than on ‘What would I rather be experiencing?’ It is difficult to achieve this state of mind, but not impossible.

- Yuval Noah Harari, "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind."

• Like 1

It is common for us to focus too much on what make us different from each other.

This over-emphasis leads to arrogance and insecurities, prejudice and fear.

As Buddhist we seek to prevent this imbalance by constantly returning to an awareness of those things that unite us all.

We reflect on the simple indisputable truth that everyone of us are companions in birth, old age, sickness and death. Everybody wants to be happy. Nobdy wants to suffer.

We don't deny differences or ignore them. But we recognize them within the context of our shared nature as sentient beings in a challenging and fragile world.

- Ajahn Jayasaro

• Like 2

"From my own experiences in the military I know that having a sense of personal integrity is very important. Even though I can recognize primordial drives and tendencies, what is even stronger with me is an aspiration for something higher than that. Within the human state there is also something that aspires. We intuitively know that there is some higher purpose that we can realize in ourselves. That is what religion is about and why human beings have created it. Religion is the attempt to express that intuitive feeling, the mystical sense or aspiration. And yet in a moment we can revert back to primordial behaviour. The conditions are there if we are not aware."

- "Instinct and Aspiration", in Anthology Vol 5 - The Wheel of Truth by Ajahn Sumedho

Freely downloadable eBooks by Ajahn Sumedho:
http://forestsanghapublications.org/viewAuthor.php?id=9

• Like 1

Whenever illnesses arise, those who know see nothing strange about it. Getting born into this world entails experiencing illness. However, even the Buddha and the Noble Ones, contracting illness in the course of things, would also, in the course of things, treat it with medicine. For them it was simply a matter of correcting the elements. They didn't blindly cling to the body or grasp at mystic ceremonies and such. They treated illnesses with right view, they didn't treat them with delusion. ''If it heals, it heals, if it doesn't then it doesn't'' - that's how they saw things.

- Ajahn Chah -

“Transcendence"

• Like 2