BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
camerata

Dhamma Quotes

Attention is living; inattention is dying.

The attentive never stop; the inattentive are dead already.

The Buddha, Dhammapada 21

He not busy being born is busy dying.

Bob Dylan

After more than a century of looking for it, brain researchers have long since concluded that there is no conceivable place for a self to be located in the physical brain, and that it simply does not exist.

- Time Magazine, 2002

To say that there is a self is not true. To say that there is no self is not true. Then what is true?

- Ajahn Chah

The idea is not to be without desire, but to have a wise relationship with desire.

- Jack Kornfield, The Wise Heart

Of course we can always imagine more perfect conditions, how it should be ideally, how everyone else should behave. But it's not our task to create an ideal. It's our task to see how it is, and to learn from the world as it is. For the awakening of the heart, conditions are always good enough.

- Ajahn Sumedho, The Wise Heart.

There is no separation between inner and outer, self and other. Tending ourselves, we tend the world. Tending the world, we tend ourselves.

- Jack Kornfield, The Wise Heart.

One day Ajahn Chah held up a beautiful Chinese teacup. "To me this cup is already broken. Because I know its fate, I can enjoy it fully here and now. And when it's gone, it's gone." When we understand the truth of uncertainty and relax, we become free.

- Jack Kornfield, The Wise Heart.

The Sages of Peace speak of that one who strives Never lazy throughout the entire day and night: "Praise the one who truly lives even a single night."

There are many scholars of Buddhism who can be compared with blind man that have very erudite theories about light and know all there is to be known about it, but actually they don't know what they are talking about.

While a child that can see knows what light is (but can not give such sophisticated lectures about it)

Osho

I doubt whether a child knows any more about light than an adult.

When we are taught to visit a cemetery, we should never neglect the inner cemetery. Even if we visit a cemetery outside, the purpose is to reflect inwardly on the inner cemetery - our own body. Dried corpses, fresh corpses, raw corpses, cooked corpses, all kinds of corpses are gathered together in this body, but I've never heard the place where they are barbecued, roasted, and stewed called a crematorium. Instead it's called a kitchen. But actually, that's what it is, a crematorium for animals. And they are all buried here in this stomach, this grave. If we look at ourselves in all fairness, with impartiality, we see that we are a burial ground for all kinds of animals - yes, us! - because we're filled with corpses old and new. Once we have contemplated in this way, if we don't feel disenchanted, if we don't feel disengaged, what will we feel? - for that's the way the truth actually is.

- Ajahn Maha Boowa

I doubt whether a child knows any more about light than an adult.

Most people, including myself, can remember very little about their first years.

I think this is because of the conditioning that is clouding the mind, consciousness.

Conditioning creates a social identity, in buddhist terms a false idea of self that fills the consciousness and covers up the real, natural self, which becomes "the unconscious".

If you want to discover the superior qualities latent within yourself, then you must take the initiative and practice. It's no use waiting until you are dead and then invite monks to chant auspicious verses for your spiritual benefit.

- Ajahn Man Bhuridatta