Sports in Thailand

thephotoman

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And one from the grass roots , or should I say concrete . Its unbelievable how they land so lightly on this unforgiving surface .

I have been shooting these guys around Nong Bua Lake for about 3 years , they have so much enthusiasm ...its electric .

7497952950_abcc953f94_b.jpg

• 2 months later...

The P Man!!!!

Bruv, what camera?

On this long, steep and arduously expensive learning curve I've concluded that a "real camera" is one that can do low light sports togging. It <deleted> ain't Pentax that's for sure!

Only a Samsung Galaxy. I am ashamed. Zoom brilliant in its class but no lens changing. Im gonna get a Sony A7. 60,000 baht. But proffessional reviewers love it and say it good value !!! Not sure if they always unbiased.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

^^ See what I mean. A 1D Mk IV.

Yes it is great to have a 'pro' camera but let's not forget the eye, the experience and the skill that wields the camera. I give FR the credit for the fine images posted above not his camera. We tend to get too fixated on equipment too often.

MJP. I have seen many of your images now and they are very good. Your camera is capable of taking good photos so just go out and use it to the max.

^^ See what I mean. A 1D Mk IV.

Yes it is great to have a 'pro' camera but let's not forget the eye, the experience and the skill that wields the camera. I give FR the credit for the fine images posted above not his camera. We tend to get too fixated on equipment too often.

MJP. I have seen many of your images now and they are very good. Your camera is capable of taking good photos so just go out and use it to the max.

Limitations. Mostly tracking AF and especially AF in low light. That little Pentax really struggles to nail focus.

I'm not going to change the thing now, it's all getting stupid expensive, but if I'd known way back when what I do now, then I'd have gone . . . your route most likely . . . something that's a bit more all round capable, but with only maybe three lenses.

Hi all …. I also use a 1DMK4 , a brilliant camera together with high end lenses , I use because I have to compete and they give you an edge , also as mentioned I can shoot a lot of high iso sports ( currently the Mk4 will go to 6400 iso with software .

Fractured Rabbit … I like your polo shots , the first shot would be my pic … just sold my 300 2.8 and saving for a MK2 . Until I get that I am using a 70-200 2.8 is mk2 with 1.4 mk2 converter , perfectly good enough for the time being .

Pawneese … Hope you enjoy your new purchase .

MJP …. Tracking af is ok not that brilliant but maybe better than most , but I have to help it otherwise there are a lot of oof shots .

For the Takraw shots the netting caused problems at first , but pre- focusing on the net and refocusing as the player came into focus worked for me .

Roy

Hi all …. I also use a 1DMK4 , a brilliant camera together with high end lenses , I use because I have to compete and they give you an edge , also as mentioned I can shoot a lot of high iso sports ( currently the Mk4 will go to 6400 iso with software .

Fractured Rabbit … I like your polo shots , the first shot would be my pic … just sold my 300 2.8 and saving for a MK2 . Until I get that I am using a 70-200 2.8 is mk2 with 1.4 mk2 converter , perfectly good enough for the time being .

Pawneese … Hope you enjoy your new purchase .

MJP …. Tracking af is ok not that brilliant but maybe better than most , but I have to help it otherwise there are a lot of oof shots .

For the Takraw shots the netting caused problems at first , but pre- focusing on the net and refocusing as the player came into focus worked for me .

Roy

Yes, perhaps I'm asking too much of little Pentax fella.

I started taking polo photos because it was fun to do; then they asked me to photograph every tournament. Started with a 30D and a 300mm F4, then progressed to a 1D3, and finally a 1D4 with a 300mm F2.8, a killer combination for action shooting. Must have taken more than 100,000 polo shots over the years. You have to be technically competent with your camera and need to be able to read the sport so you know how to be pointing towards where the action is going to be; but if you don't have something that will track very accurately and give you many shots per second so you can pick the best moment; then it will be a struggle.

Once I got into Micro Four Thirds I started using the 1D for the action shots only, and sold all my Canon lenses apart from the 300mm. Then the polo work started to diminish and I ended up selling the 1D and the 300mm; an amazing combination but I could not justify keeping it.9

Ooooooooops sorry a couple of my pix above were a bit big. I aint got the hang of this posting pix yet me thinks. Think I got it now. I totally screwed up getting horizon straight hence the close crops to salvage one or two. I will try again soon.

Archived