Ways to get teaching experience in Thailand?

loraporz

Hi guys,

So I'm thinking of coming over for a year or so to teach, but I was wondering if anyone knows of any ways I can get some experience without total commitment first? A couple of my colleagues have just been to Italy for 2 weeks to simply see what it's like teaching abroad. They're now back in our school in the UK considering their options. Does this kind of thing exist in Thailand? I'm completely familiar with the culture and living conditions as I have family in Thailand and have been visiting yearly for the past 10 years, but I've never set foot in a school over there. I've never had to work during my time in Thailand, so I'm thinking a few weeks unpaid teaching experience to feel what it's like to have to go to work every day over there, wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Qualifications and experience:

BA (Hons) 2:1 - Music performance

Post Graduate Certificate in Further and Higher Music Education

CELTA

1 years full time teaching in a language school in the UK teaching all levels from elementary to upper intermediate ( + some experience with FCE)

2 summers full time teaching in a language school in the UK, including activities and excursions etc

Thanks in advance
x

Looks like you have all the qualifications you need. If you want experience and you are still in the UK but don't want experience, why not volunteer and teach immigrants for free? There might even be paid or subsidized gigs. My first teaching experiences (ages and ages ago) were teaching new immigrants for free and they got me hooked (for better or for worse).

I can't imagine a school or community center turning down supplemental classes for immigrant students. Good luck.

Agree with contacting AYC - but you might end up in a one horse town in the real boonies. Actually a wonderful experience to see the real Thailand!

Edited by wayned

A few years back I was an volunteer invigilator at Chula - great experience for a week and I met lots of students and professors, had a job offer by the end of day 3 (which I declined). Some of the other volunteers were clearly looking for employment and felt it was a good opportunity to build their network, it also looks good on your CV when applying for local jobs showing you're connected.

Teaching opportunities here are plentiful but they are all different. I don't think you could build an opinion from a few weeks.

Also don't worry to much about long term commitments as not many organizations here will commit themselves in the short term.

Good luck and enjoy

Try 1 of the international universities here as they often offer short term gigs to "Visiting Professors from many different countries" as it gives them bragging rights. I think it's a good idea for both parties myself. Lots of exposure to English spoken with international accents for the students, brings in fresh ideas and approaches and it works out to a paid-working-holiday for the lecturerers. thumbsup.gif

I haven't heard great things about agencies in a long time, only negatives. Not saying that they don't work out for people, just be careful. I would say they are mostly good for people who have absolutely no idea where to start. After that, most people I know who have used them have had time to look around and find better things for themselves. You should even try to see if you can use your musical education in one of the international schools (elementary-HS, depending) or a university like someone mentioned above. That will be a better environment, better pay and benefits, etc.

Edited by dao16

The thing is, in my opinion, you need to target your experience gathering to where you want to work. With your credentials you should be able to find work in an international school if you want. You would be a shoe in at a bilingual programme, and a Thai high school would bite your hand off. But there's not much point in getting experience in a public high school if you want to go to an international school- the two are simply worlds apart. Middle of the road is the bilingual programme- classes are smaller, and students get much more exposure to English (usually 50/50ish). If you are willing to work for a short time for free, then you will not find it hard to get some experience here. From the sound of it, you might favour a place with a strong musical direction such as my own. biggrin.png

• Like 1

You probably just need to sort something out with a school directly.

As mentioned above, you could likely teach at an international school, so your best bet would be to ask an international school if you could do some relieving or similar. They might not allow it though, as they may already have strict systems already in place.

Alternatively, if you're looking for a regular school, would you like to teach in the countryside or in the city?

If you're interested in doing some teaching for free, just for the experience, I can put you in contact with some schools in RoiEt or Maha Sarakham which would probably be interested in letting you teach some classes.

The thing is, in my opinion, you need to target your experience gathering to where you want to work. With your credentials you should be able to find work in an international school if you want. You would be a shoe in at a bilingual programme, and a Thai high school would bite your hand off. But there's not much point in getting experience in a public high school if you want to go to an international school- the two are simply worlds apart. Middle of the road is the bilingual programme- classes are smaller, and students get much more exposure to English (usually 50/50ish). If you are willing to work for a short time for free, then you will not find it hard to get some experience here. From the sound of it, you might favour a place with a strong musical direction such as my own. biggrin.png

Oh yes? So you're working for a school, or run your own, Slip?

Oh yes? So you're working for a school, or run your own, Slip?

Apologies for being unclear- by 'my own', I meant the one where I work. I do not run a school.

Looks like you are qualified to get a paid position teaching now.

But if you just want to volunteer for a while to get a taste of it, try this.

Go to rural Thailand, Maybe the north east.

Go to the local school and talk to the Director about volunteering to teach as a Native English Speaker.

If you don't speak Thai, there will be a Thai English teacher who will help you communicate.

If they don't already have a NES, they will love you!

This is what I did and was offered a paying job within two months.

Experiencing rural Thailand is a great experience you will never forget.

The children are to be treasured. Sweet, respectful and anxious to learn.,unlike reports I've heard about students in more developed parts of Thailand

You can find cities, glitter and tourism in any country, but rural Thailand is unique!

In remote areas, they will gladly overlook red tape like work permits that are legally required even for volunteer work in Thailand .

Go for it!

Enjoy the experience!

Choke Dee! ( good luck )

post-147745-0-86384000-1382069698_thumb.

Edited by willyumiii