BANGKOK 20 April 2019 01:37
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

16 dead in Buriram horror smash

21 people on a pick up truck?!

The mind boggles!

RIP

16 dead plus 8 survivors =24

I thought a law was passed a couple of years ago limiting the number of passengers in the back of pickups to 2 only

And it was a four door which limits cargo area.

Edited by ozzydom

The bed of all pick up trucks is designated for the carriage of goods.

I believe there is a law which prohibits carrying people in the back - but this is just another law that is never enforced.

With over 1 million new vehicles coming on to roads every year, it really is time that all motoring laws started to be fully enforced.with meaningful penalties.

A scandalous loss of life. This is one area that the government could fix effectively overnight if they had the will. However, it's obvious they just don't care. Their inaction speaks volumes.

Just point David48 to this thread he asked how safe it was to travel in a pickup in the back.

The police does care.. for their pockets.. they stop them collect money and send them on their way.. nothing else.

16 people in a pickup truck?

In Thailand I would be surprised if it was less.

These road accident deaths will continue until the Thai government enacts laws to prevent it, which is very unlikely.

They have plenty of laws already. They do not have a police force worthy of the name. In any case, it seems most of them were lao nationals, so it is not as serious as it first sounded.......

• Like 1

Note the type of pick up has not been disclosed in the news reporting.

Sure, being under the influence of drugs and alcohol may be one of the pre-conditions that may have partly contributed to causing the accident. However, what’s missing is also the fact that the pick-up was more than likely overloaded having 24 passengers in the back which is probable the main leading cause as to why the driver lost control in the first place while traveling at high speed.

This is because physics and Newton’s theory of relativity determines whether people live or die as a consequence of overloading.

Edited by MK1

Pick up with 16 to 20 setting on 4 boards across the back is common here in CM.

A new law limiting the number of passengers to 3 or 4??? was proposed amid a outcry from construction firms a few years back, never heard anymore as to its passage, if so, it was just ignored and do as they please.

It seems a vehicle does have a weight limit by law, but again ignored by both the driver and the police. Guess the police figure they would never round up all the people to get a accurate weight.

• Like 1

I took a pick up from a village south of Ubon down to BK . The truck left at 1700 just before nightfall . There were two other guys in the back and 3 in the front with the driver , the truck had a cage and roof . There was some luggage and sacks of stuff in the back too .

As we were pulled over at the police road blocks the driver would open his window just enough to pass the policeman a twenty bhat note . This was the case all night long . I don't see how the driver made any money on that trip .

speed keeps you awake, cannot get drunk, or very low quality product, likely another cause imho

This is a serious question: what does an Insurance policy say about carrying that number of passengers? I ask because I frequently see baht buses crammed to the rafters with school children coming/going to & from school; or jam-packed with Russian tourists? Is there a limit that a driver should adhere to?

yes the limit is when hes made enough and more......but seriously,there are always laws,just that the bone idle bib just dont care,,,,,sad but true...wai.gif

This is quite common in undeveloped country like Thailand !!!

Sorry I don't think its common AT ALL!

It might not be unusual but it certainly is not common.

Sorry kiwi,disagree totaly... maybe you just haven't seen it..it is indeed very very common and not just in the up-country areas...Patong at 5-6 PM is near a convoy or pick ups, and trucks jam packed with workers going home after work every day of the week.

EDIT...though not in Thailand it does show the effect of crashing a pickup truck with a human cargo......

Edited by andreandre

This is a serious question: what does an Insurance policy say about carrying that number of passengers? I ask because I frequently see baht buses crammed to the rafters with school children coming/going to & from school; or jam-packed with Russian tourists? Is there a limit that a driver should adhere to?

What insurance policy?
  • Like 1

24 people, mostly from Laos, with pickup traveling from Bangkok to Ubon, according to agencies. Traveled 310km without being stopped by any police check. No wonder we have the 3rd highest road-death toll in the world. Insane.

Must be a bummer to be poor eh ? blink.png

It just irks the hell out of me that I get stopped for minor violations, while pickup trucks with their beds full of people fly by at high speed, unchallenged. No seatbelts, driver asleep, on cellphone, and sometimes drunk . <deleted> Pity for the foolish passengers...and angry at traffic enforcement for not stopping these obvious death traps.