BANGKOK 24 April 2019 13:20
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

16 dead in Buriram horror smash

Firstly RIP to those who needlessly lost their lives....

I cant help reflect on this and ask what the focus of the BIB actually is... there were about 10 BIB this morning on Rama IV near sukhumvit stopping motorbikes/ scooters who were up on the pavement... surely police could be better deployed and make more a of a difference if they actually went out a looked for dangerous/ unsafe vehicles... I know this has no relevance to this post although one could add that the common practice of loading many people into a truck is very dangerous but just seems to me that the BIB actually dont care a toss about reducing the horrific road toll.. just this morning driving back from Hua Hin a saw a ute packed with steel tubes lose its load on the highway.. if I had of been right behind then I would have been with these poor folks...

Condolences to the families and loved ones of these poor folks....

• Like 1

I cant help reflect on this and ask what the focus of the BIB actually is... there were about 10 BIB this morning on Rama IV near sukhumvit stopping motorbikes/ scooters who were up on the pavement... surely police could be better deployed .

If you were walking on the pavement, you would wonder why the 10 BIB were NOT focusing on the motorcycles/ scooters who were up on the pavement, no ?

I cant help reflect on this and ask what the focus of the BIB actually is... there were about 10 BIB this morning on Rama IV near sukhumvit stopping motorbikes/ scooters who were up on the pavement... surely police could be better deployed .

If you were walking on the pavement, you would wonder why the 10 BIB were NOT focusing on the motorcycles/ scooters who were up on the pavement, no ?

So you are advocating that its a good use of BIB resources to have 10 of them givivng 200B tickets to scooters who go on the pavement rather than doimg something that actually matters... heck the police on scooters use the pavement there themselves.. seen it many times...

And by the way to answer your question the answer is no. Ive been here long enough that scooters on the pavement doesnt worry me and in the face of terrible tradegies like this Buriram incident my point is why are not the BIB doing more about curbing serious road dangers rather than tea money generation..... think Ive just answered my oown questions ha

• Like 1

I think the problem here is the tolerant mindset that they are doing the best they can. If they need to put 20 people in one pickup truck then

so be it, it's the best they can do. Why they tolerate this and not other things is just bizarre.

It is pretty simple really. The hiso's attitude sees no reason to change things because they and their loved ones don't ride pickups and buses, even though their companies often own them for hauling employees like cattle. One suspects that such folk at a time like this would be greatly saddened at the thought that they might have to spend money for 21 fruit baskets to give to the families.

• Like 1

These road accident deaths will continue until the Thai government enacts laws to prevent it, which is very unlikely.

The laws exist, for whatever reason they are very rarely enforced.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And laws that are not enforced are just suggestions to this bunch as the police are the worst. And the politician are......................................!

I am not sure if these incidents are common but it does appear to me that a disproportionate number of fatalities involving pick-up truck accidents involve migrant workers. However, the ultimate culprit is yaba and alcohol. Such a tragic incident.

>>>However, the ultimate culprit is yaba and alcohol...<<<

Disagree.

The reason is the total lack of responsibility in this lovely country.

The driver's fault, police fault, passengers fault, employers fault, governments fault.

It will happen again and again. Only education and harsh penalties might help.

If they cannot do themselves, they can ask Singaporians for help.

But who cares in this careless society ?

• Like 1

Common or not, it will happen again as long as its acceptable to transport those amounts of passengers on a pickup truck.

Usually there are only two seats for a reason...

Just the weight and possible shifting with a top heavy load moving is enough to impair the vehicles ability to track correctly. About any over/under steer would invite tragic results......

RIP - many families affected undoubtably......

• Like 1

I would question also if the large subsidence at the side of the road, shown in Klubex's photo , had anything to do with the car going down the embankment ?

This is quite common in undeveloped country like Thailand !!!

Sorry I don't think its common AT ALL!

It might not be unusual but it certainly is not common.

Suggest you visit Issan, especially Ubon during morning rush hour. This is very common here.

As common and as predictable as the sun will rise tomorrow.

...or that it will p!ss down in Kap Choeng wink.png

This is still a bad one even for Isaan. RIP the deceased.

24 people, mostly from Laos, with pickup traveling from Bangkok to Ubon, according to agencies. Traveled 310km without being stopped by any police check. No wonder we have the 3rd highest road-death toll in the world. Insane.

why would you stop anyone for driving 300km?

Yep, pickups + passengers + accidents = death.

This needs to be outlawed. Very sad.

It is against the law. same as you must wear helmet on a motorbike

@ lee b

21 in a car truck,and im pretty sure there were even more, but who could runned away,most of the workers in that country side are illigal