16 dead in Buriram horror smash

webfact

Just the weight and possible shifting with a top heavy load moving is enough to impair the vehicles ability to track correctly. About any over/under steer would invite tragic results......

RIP - many families affected undoubtably......

You concerns are valid but if you take amphetamines, drink booze, wear your best amulet, and sleep behind the wheel it counterbalances everything.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its bad enough seeing families etc sitting in the back of pick up trucks, no seatbelts. But its even worse when there is no limit to the number of passengers. Where are the RTP when common sense is needed.

You will get cited and pay at least a 10,000 baht fine in the USA for just having a dog or any other animal in the back of a pickup that is not tied in.

I still bristle a bit when the police stop me for a safety belt check and I see these guys sailing by. It isn't always adults, the school transports are often just as bad.

Exactly. I know that having warped priorities is a problem in all governments, but Thailand rules when it comes to the messed up logic behind who gets nicked for what. F'rinstance, I get busted for going the wrong way on my bike on a one-way street while 4 people sail past me on a scooter (but going the right way), only one of whom is wearing a helmet.

There is no way on earth that these guys should be allowed to transport people at high speeds in pick up trucks. What a tragic and unnecessary loss of life.

I still bristle a bit when the police stop me for a safety belt check and I see these guys sailing by. It isn't always adults, the school transports are often just as bad.

And yet school buses in the USA ... and I'm sure lots of other countries ... don't have seat belts for the kids.

To travel in Thailand is dangerous. Over 6000 deaths per year on the road, train accidents every week, plane accidents nearly every week. Drunk drivers on the road, people without driving licence on the road, train system from before yesterday, buses without emergency exit, reckless speed driving and overtaking. Terrible, and no better times in view, because the responsable authorities are sleeping.

• Like 1

To travel in Thailand is dangerous. Over 6000 deaths per year on the road, train accidents every week, plane accidents nearly every week. Drunk drivers on the road, people without driving licence on the road, train system from before yesterday, buses without emergency exit, reckless speed driving and overtaking. Terrible, and no better times in view, because the responsable authorities are sleeping.

Up to 26,000 people are killed in road accidents every year in Thailand, which puts the country in the 6th spot in terms of road casualties. Of those killed, up to 70 or 80 per cent are motorcyclists or their passengers.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-death-toll-in-Thailand-among-highest-in-the-w-30202066.html

This is quite common in undeveloped country like Thailand !!!

Sorry I don't think its common AT ALL!

It might not be unusual but it certainly is not common.

Well its certainly common in Pattaya. My condo overlooks a Burmese settlement. Every morning pick-up trucks arrive to take the workers - jam packed like sardines - to construction sites

I was at a fair last weekend where a local Rescue organization showed their vans and equipment. + Lots of pictures on the wall of accidents. One showed a Rescue worker at an accident only holding one's head, by the hair. Head was ripped off. It takes a few years as a foreigner to understand human life really does not have any value in Thailand. As long as you are low ranked like construction workers etc. Or Police man killed by a spoilt drugged up son of a Hi-So family.

• Like 2

We hear all these surgestions it might be drugs or drink, but how many drivers in Thailand have never been taught to drive properly. They have never had a test therefor no licence therefor no insurance.

It annoys me no end when people ride their motorbikes the wrong way up a one-way street or even on the wrong side of a road - but it happens all over Thailand.

One Sunday on Pattaya beach road, police were stopping every Farang without a helmet, while Thai guys (I didn't see a Farang guy that day) were riding their motorbikes on the pedestrian walkway - both ways - with impunity. Now I'm not criticising anyone except the police for seeking extra income over safety.

Unfortunately it is very common I see it more days than not.

Up to 26,000 people are killed in road accidents every year in Thailand, which puts the country in the 6th spot in terms of road casualties. Of those killed, up to 70 or 80 per cent are motorcyclists or their passengers.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-death-toll-in-Thailand-among-highest-in-the-w-30202066.html

I think 26000 about right and even a bit on the light side. I think the official figures are about half of that but they consider a road death as occurring on the road. If the victim makes it inside the ambulance or hospital alive and then dies it is not a road death.

• Like 2

Yep, pickups + passengers + accidents = death.

This needs to be outlawed. Very sad.

It is against the law. same as you must wear helmet on a motorbike

Indeed. Nothing wrong with most of the existing traffic laws - it is the enforcement that is the problem.

• Like 1

I think 26000 about right and even a bit on the light side. I think the official figures are about half of that but they consider a road death as occurring on the road. If the victim makes it inside the ambulance or hospital alive and then dies it is not a road death.

For many years the Thai government stats showed a downward trend & from memory the last released figure was around 11,000 deaths in 2011; there were many lengthy debates on TV 'discussing' the figures including your observation on reporting methods. Then along came the Thai Vice Interior Minister in March this year (see URL) & said actually the true figure is approx 26,000 road deaths a year.

26,000 deaths a year is an appalling figure. That's 71 a day, or the equivalent of someone going to New Milford Conn (USA) Redcliffe Surrey (UK) or Kalgoorlie/Boulder (W,Aust) once a year with a machine gun and killing every man, woman and child. Add to that the number of permanent injuries that must occur, it's mind boggling.

26,000 deaths a year is an appalling figure. That's 71 a day, or the equivalent of someone going to New Milford Conn (USA) Redcliffe Surrey (UK) or Kalgoorlie/Boulder (W,Aust) once a year with a machine gun and killing every man, woman and child. Add to that the number of permanent injuries that must occur, it's mind boggling.

Agreed, I nearly became a statistic last week through no fault of my own.

This news is tragic, I would dearly love it to be the last one I read, but I doubt it will be.

Lets not be pedantic, its common place, it happens far to often.

Either these type accidents (especially mini buses) are on the increase or they are being reported more often. Its very sad and avoidable.

Why am I not the least bit surprised nor shocked by this horrific accident? Because everyday I see these same type of pickups loaded to the rafters with people stuffed into the bed. Nothing more than an accident waiting to happen. Nobody has the simple common sense to realize just how stupid this is. The Thai people especially out in the "boonies" have this notion that if you think something bad will happen it will and if you don't think at all then nothing bad will happen. Hence why bother thinking that you can change the Kharma that has been been your destiny since birth. Is it any wonder why we continue to shake our heads at this stupidity? A third world country? Thailand can only hope to attain that status.

• Like 1

Why am I not the least bit surprised nor shocked by this horrific accident? Because everyday I see these same type of pickups loaded to the rafters with people stuffed into the bed. Nothing more than an accident waiting to happen. Nobody has the simple common sense to realize just how stupid this is. The Thai people especially out in the "boonies" have this notion that if you think something bad will happen it will and if you don't think at all then nothing bad will happen. Hence why bother thinking that you can change the Kharma that has been been your destiny since birth. Is it any wonder why we continue to shake our heads at this stupidity? A third world country? Thailand can only hope to attain that status.

Interesting comment. I once said that we wouldn't drive down a certain road again (the potholes were wrecking the car). I saw that repairs had been done and my wife nearly had a fit when I said we might try it again. Mind you she believes in ghosts also.

Another tragedy that could have been avoided with sensible controls.

How many times do we have to take evasive action to avoid pick-ups with 15-20 people on board, swaying from side to side because they are dangerously overloaded. When the driver seems to have been driving under some influences, the results are almost inevitable.

By all means have huge numbers of police stopping people for not wearing helmets while driving their bikes/ scooters, but get real with the major source of casualties. We all know them, aggressive minibus drivers and worker pickups.

That's what happens when you have a 3rd world country without laws that protect people. Construction workers are expendable because they work for the rich Thais. Nothing new in Thailand about poor people getting killed, if your government doesn't give a dam_n then your days are numbered.

Thailand is not a 3rd world country! not underdeveloped as some say before. and surely the people at the top aren't like say counties like surinam or congo. the fact that half the population is underdeveloped is something else. The government is not entirly to blame for this though, (although i think very poorly of the government here) Here they have the money, the brains at top level and the possibilities unlike real 3rd world counties. they are just not using it to the fullest and for the people . ( at least thats what i think, My wife often states that the U.S.A is not that much different from Thailand and they claim to be the top of the world.)

That's what happens when you have a 3rd world country without laws that protect people. Construction workers are expendable because they work for the rich Thais. Nothing new in Thailand about poor people getting killed, if your government doesn't give a dam_n then your days are numbered.

Thailand is not a 3rd world country!

Sorry but, a large percentage of it is.

You could use the more modern term of 'a developing nation'........ personally I'm not that keen on the way some parts are developing.

Thailand is not a 3rd world country! not underdeveloped as some say before. and surely the people at the top aren't like say counties like surinam or congo. the fact that half the population is underdeveloped is something else. The government is not entirly to blame for this though, (although i think very poorly of the government here) Here they have the money, the brains at top level and the possibilities unlike real 3rd world counties. they are just not using it to the fullest and for the people . ( at least thats what i think, My wife often states that the U.S.A is not that much different from Thailand and they claim to be the top of the world.)

Thailand is a 3rd world country. With a per capita annual income of about 1/10th the US, I have no idea how your wife states that in any way Thailand "is not that much different from the USA." Unless of course she's Thai, and then Thais will always think Thailand is best.

Thailand has almost as many road deaths per year as the US even though it has only about 1/5 the population. That's outrageous, but we've all seen the roads, and how they drive in Thailand. In the US, the roads are great, kept pristine and free of litter, and people actually drive with sanity. They actually obey the laws and you can't bribe a policeman. Fines are stiff.

In the US, it's hard to get a commercial driver's license so that you can drive public transportation or trucks, etc. You actually have to go to school for it and have high limit liability insurance. Drunk driving will land you in jail, cost you a $5,000 fine, and cost you your license for 6 months to a year. Second offense, one year in jail and $10,000 fine and loss of license for 5 years. Killing someone while drunk driving is manslaughter - a crime.

Riding in the back of a pickup is flat out illegal.

I could go on, but Thailand's roads and drivers and habits will guarantee a high death rate until cops can't be bribed and fines are stiff and applied across the board.

• Like 1