Italian Restaurants

markuk

Don Giovanni's at Sofitel Central Plaza hotel is a fantastic italian restaurant. Moderately priced, affordable wine list and great food make it worth a visit. I eat there usually at least twice a week.

Angelini's at the shangri la hotel is the place to go if your budget is at the top end. There are plenty of other good examples as stated by other members.

Stay away from La Scala at Sukhothai hotel; overpriced, bad service and average food.

Enjoy! :o

Bella Napoli for pizza and I mean pizza.

7:00 pm Thais are lining up and 9:00 pm farangs waiting outside to get a table.

Sounds good - where is that exactly?

Also, I went to Pomodoro the other day and thought it was not bad for the price. Wine was <deleted> though...

La Gritta on Sukkumvit Soi 19 is one I'd tend to avoid, I'm yet to find a real top notch Italian but there seem to be some good suggestions on this topic.

Lido on guest house street of soi Sri Bumpen (near Malaysia hotel). Cheap, good food and friendly Italian owner. For upscale Italian, Zanotti on Sala Daeng. Seconded Axel for Bella Napoli (for pizza).

• 2 months later...

Pendlasco, in a nice old house, pizza oven in the garden,

Grand Majestic Hotel, has one of the very best around. Sukhumvit Soi 2.

La Piola, just like going to grandmas house in Italy.Sukhumvit Soi 11,

LaOpera, Perhaps the oldest place in town, down Sukhumvit Soi39. Nice neighborhood place.

Dulios on Suk Soi 49.

Gianis and Paisanos on Soi Ton Son.

Zannotis on Soi Convent, nice. Best in town?

LaOpera, Perhaps the oldest place in town, down Sukhumvit Soi39. Nice neighborhood place.

I'll second that.

Well, it is an old-time neighborhood place, I guess, but other than for a few foreigners who don't know any better, no one has gone there for a decent meal in ten years or so. It's really second-rate compared to places like Zanotti and Calderazo. Strictly airline food qualitity and you're surrounded by fat farang families.

There is an Italian restaurant on Khao San Road. Thats pretty good. IMHO

You must be talking about La Casa - I agree it's pretty good. I think they have other branches around Bangkok too? Slightly on the pricey side though for Thailand standards.

I'll second that.

Strictly airline food qualitity.

Really??? Any chance of letting us know which airline you use? Eva Air (my airline of choice) don't serve pizza :o

I'll second that.

Well, it is an old-time neighborhood place, I guess, but other than for a few foreigners who don't know any better, no one has gone there for a decent meal in ten years or so. It's really second-rate compared to places like Zanotti and Calderazo. Strictly airline food qualitity and you're surrounded by fat farang families.

Fat Farang Families?

Maybe some fat Italians are hanging out in there?

I hear lots of Italian being spoken. I think those people know good Italian food.

The owner is a Pro and has restaurants all over the world.

Like I said, La Opera is a nice comfortable neighborhood place, somthing like you would find in Italy.

The Anti Pasta bar in the evening is delicious and the lunch specials are a super deal.

Sure , there are about 200 other places to try too.

All of them different.

Pendlasco, in a nice old house, pizza oven in the garden,

Grand Majestic Hotel, has one of the very best around. Sukhumvit Soi 2.

La Piola, just like going to grandmas house in Italy.Sukhumvit Soi 11,

Dulios on Suk Soi 49.

Gianis and Paisanos on Soi Ton Son.

Zannotis on Soi Convent, nice. Best in town?

Zannotis is on Sala Daeng not Convent....right?

There is a place on the corner of Sukhumvit and Soi 23 called "Little Italy" which looks terrible, big neon sign out the front etc, tacky decor... but when we ate there I was surprised how good the food was. Good pastas cooked "al dente" (ie not soggy mush), nice thin crust pizzas etc. I was pleasantly surprised, and it wasn't too $$$.

At the other end of the spectrum, a fantastic top-end Italian restaurnant (ie not the pizza-and-pasta kind of Italian, but proper food) down a Soi near Chit Lom BTS... can't remember the name but I'll post it once I find out.

There is a much nicer Italian restaurant near Khaosan road than La Casa ... its called PRIMAVERA and is located on Pra Athit road (between the Prasumen white fort and Chakrapong/Samsen road junction ... left side of the road if you are walking from Chakrapong/Samsen road junction).

The food is much nicer than La Casa with larger portions and a much nicer ambience.

• 2 weeks later...
Vito, former chef at La Piola has a terrific place on Suk 11,Venisia, next to the Bed Supperclub.

The 2 course lunch special, with coffee+desert at 250bt is unbelievable. Great service.

He just opened an Itilian Deli too next door.

Try it. You'll be glad you did.

I actually think La Opera has got its act together again - Food was excellent the other night as was the wine list - still gets my thumbs up.

I also rate Basilico as fairly decent on soi 33. (And very handy for post dinner drinks and..)

If your feeling flush Angelini in the Shangri-La in my opinion is the best Italian food in Thailand. It continues to win many awards.

Edited by dekka007

Can not understand why Angelini scores so high.

We had , about 3 years back , a horrible waitress , arrogant and she forgot 1/2 of what we ordered .

I guess the Manager noticed this as well and tried to save our evening , but ...

Agree the setting is stunning and well worh a visit , but they won't see me anymore.

La Buca, down Soi 1, just before the turn-in to Bunrungard. Small place, good value, affable owner , had about a dozen good dinners there, house wine is ok.

L'Opera always seemed pricey and a little pretentious to me, but maybe I'm becoming progressively more of a peasant.

about 3 years back

Try it again - that was a long time ago there is a new chef and new manager since then.

I would say the waitresses are the same as JW Marriott steakhouse waitresses and are all really friendly now and extremely efficient.

Edited by dekka007

Although this thread specifies Bangkok Italian restaurants, has anyone else tried Farrango's in the main town by the pier on Koh Tao? Some of the best Italian food I've had in Thailand, which is remarkable when you consider the location.