BANGKOK 21 July 2019 08:05
Sign in to follow this  
bangkok blue

Time I got sober!

Good luck on your adventure into sobriety.

Keep in mind you don't have to go it alone. Lots of people have cleared the path for you and will happily show you how they did it- just like the folks before them.

Or- you can do it the hard way. Easy choice for me.

Well done on your moment of clarity. That's all it takes, a simple moment to recognise this isn't working and that something is wrong. Well done on being brave enough to recognise the solution isn't to try to drink smarter or in a different way, but rather to quit. For some of us quitting is the only solution that works. You might find it helpful to get involved in AA as the solo route is generally acknowledged to be very difficult and problematic. If you are in BKK there are plenty of meetings. I promise, you'll be allowed to leave on your own and will not be taken hostage! AA might help because there is a very strong possibility, in all likelihood a certainty, that you'll identify with a lot that is being said in AA. Good luck and please share your progress.

• Like 2

Long time ago I quit drinking for health reasons. It was affecting my breathing. I quit for almost 3 years. I must say that I felt great and I got back in shape. My work life improved and my personal life improved. i still went out but I became the evening driver for running my friends to the bars.... Hahaha. They never pushed me to drink and all were surprised but very supportive. I have since started drinking again and drink too much too often. My health is starting to suffer again so I might be joining you and stopping soon. I got really ill from drinking recently and I have not had a drink in 5 days and I am feeling great. Just wanted to tell you that you don't have to drink to enjoy your life and everything will improve. Maybe join you soon ! Good luck !

I really need to do same but weak. i even think i am now allergic to alcohol

Yeah I am definitely allergic to alcohol and the general rule for normal people is you avoid things that cause an allergic reaction. Not so with alcoholics! I now understand there are a whole pile of things that just don't happen anymore in my life because I don't drink.

• Like 1

sounds like you're allergic to lack of alcohol

Very good that you dare to say and admit you have this problem. Recognising your problem is tbe biggest step!!

The next step is just do not drink the first glass/bottle. And your done. For that step the most people need help from friends relatives or........ AA.

Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Long time ago I quit drinking for health reasons. It was affecting my breathing. I quit for almost 3 years. I must say that I felt great and I got back in shape. My work life improved and my personal life improved. i still went out but I became the evening driver for running my friends to the bars.... Hahaha. They never pushed me to drink and all were surprised but very supportive. I have since started drinking again and drink too much too often. My health is starting to suffer again so I might be joining you and stopping soon. I got really ill from drinking recently and I have not had a drink in 5 days and I am feeling great. Just wanted to tell you that you don't have to drink to enjoy your life and everything will improve. Maybe join you soon ! Good luck !

Thanks for this - I have never heard a person say they started drinking again and it was better. Virtually everyone I know says in no time they were back to where they were when they quit and soon after that it got worse .......... good luck, glad you are in contemplative mode.

sounds like you're allergic to lack of alcohol

that's not allergic - probably withdrawal symptoms!

• Like 1

Very courageous of you to post your very personal situation on this forum. However, it is great to see the overwhelming support from the TV members. I just received a Facebook message from my niece in the USA that she just celebrated her 8th year of sobriety. She is 31 years old and she said she has never felt better. I hope you will be saying the same thing a few years from now.

• Like 1

Good luck - it takes courage to admit it but, as people have said, it's the first step..

It was around about 2003 that I realized I was dependent on alcohol. I was lucky in that I had the chance to returning to work offshore where I spent up to 5 or 6 weeks on an offshore oil rig and thus had no access to booze. The first couple of weeks offshore were always tough for the first year though!

Now I can enjoy a drink or two (or more) most days I am onshore but have no problem with going without when I'm back at work.

Sure you can make it. Stay strong.

• Like 2