BANGKOK 20 April 2019 21:43
Sign in to follow this  
bangkok blue

Time I got sober!

Regarding AA, I'd point out that there are AA groups that "fit", and other groups that don't. Groups take on personalities based on the people who attend and participate in the meetings. The fit for me is not so much about the groups as about me.

After my first few years, I traveled a lot around the US on business and found some groups were absolutely fantastic for me, some were mediocre, and others were downright unpleasant.

I found that even some of the most popular (and famous) meetings in Southern California with hundreds of people were not to my liking at all. But those 100's of people obviously liked them. So I found some other meetings in SoCal that did fit me.

I'd recommend trying a few different meetings before making any judgment on AA as a solution. It's not the only way to enjoy the heck out of being sober, but it worked and still works for a lot of us.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

I have the rule...no alcohol before 5PM.

Which is insufficient...

Trying to drink only 1 or 2 beer does not work.

Now establish 1-2 alcohol free days per week....but I have the feeling it would be easier to complete stop sad.png

Good luck to you, I did a similar thing some time back, also started exercising regularly (nothing heavy, just walking) and eating healthier.

It completely changed my life.

The first couple of weeks were the worst, as I had to find things to do to fill up the time I had been spending either drinking, being drunk, sleeping it off or walking around with a hangover. Amazing how much active free time I had on my hands.

Still have not managed to quit smoking though yet!

Cam

It's amazing... back when I was a heavy boozer I could sit in a bar for 10 hours and it would seem like an hour.

Now that those days are behind me it's amazing how long (in a good way) the day lasts and how many things I accomplish not to

mention being able to sleep through the night instead of those irratic boozer sleeps.

I wish you success. You can do it. Who's stronger, you or some silly liquid? (Glad I never started.)

Having used drugs (cocaïne, methamphetamines and heroine for 12 years) i am sober now for 10 years already.

first of all i wish you find all the strenght you need to travel this hard road ahead!!!!!!

they told me in my homecountry, when i went to rehab it takes up to 2 years before the need, the feeling of being used to using, is out of your system.

i mean for 2 more years you may find every moment of weakness a big struggle. keep this in mind please and just say NO to every feeling or "little voice" inside of you telling one won't harm you.

Keep up the good spirit even when you feel down. every extra drop will only bring you down more.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU> YOUI ARE NOT ALONE. MANY MADE IT THROUGH . be strong!

Edited by myluckythai
  • Like 1

Hey, Bangkok Blue, whatever you do, as this day nears its end here in LOS, I wish you well. I hope you and everyone else who is on the trudge got through today without drinking and I hope you all do the same tomorrow and the day after that. Keep it simple, one day at a time. Check in here again tomorrow, share it, it helps me and judging from the volume of posts it helps many of us. I'm feeling really grateful tonight because I've been really physically ill these last few months, it's been one thing after another, and for the first time I'm starting to feel a wee bit healthy again. I haven't considered drinking as a solution but have had a fair few dark moments. My spirits are raised when I come on here and read about the folk like you who are giving yourself a chance again. Keep well and keep strong!

• Like 1

I have relatives that have had problems with alcohol.I definitely respect it.I will go out and party fairly hard.Maybe 5-8 mixed drinks in an evening.But then it might be A couple of years before I have another drink.Been doing it that way since I was 16. Nearly 62. Ya need to respect it .It won't respect you.

Best of luck Blue,

I went through AA about 6 years back and fell off the wagon a couple of times afterward and finally managed it a couple of years back(fingers crossed!) As many people on this topic have already said, you've made the first most important step that a lot of people never make; I've had mates who still didn't in the advanced stages of liver failure. It is difficult but it gets a bit easier every day.

Like others on here I have my reservations about AA, as to some people they can seem a bit evangelical, however they do give you a framework to move forward, so it's all a matter of choice really, as there are alternatives already mentioned, and some kind of help should smooth things out, it did for me.

I was drinking VERY heavily when I decided to stop, rock bottom as it's called, so it's worth mentioning the health risks of stopping suddenly, which may or may not apply to you. I only found out afterwards how dangerous it is to stop heavy consumption abruptly.

Enough said, all the best on a courageous start.

Look inside, not outside, you are making the decisions here, nobody else, you have it in you? You have the strength to get back up if you fall down? You have the belief you will succeed? There is a lot to this giving up drinking, and it all has to come from within........it is about you and nobody else, you want it enough, you can make it happen......you are not ready, nobody can show you the way.......

in my opinion.

Best of luck to you Blue!

Find something that will help you figure out why you drink, AA, therapy, whatever, just get some help doing it. In my case AA has been working for me.

I've always felt that alcohol was not my problem, it was the solution to my problems! I had to figure out how to deal with my problems in a different way, rather than use booze.

As an aside, and some incentive, I have met quite a few Thai and Central American women who are quite impressed and pleased that I don't drink. There are also a few who knew me when I drank that are quite pleased as well!

• Like 1

Good luck on your adventure into sobriety.

Keep in mind you don't have to go it alone. Lots of people have cleared the path for you and will happily show you how they did it- just like the folks before them.

Or- you can do it the hard way. Easy choice for me.

One day at a time just take one day at a time and you will win the battle and the war

Great OP!

I remember that feeling from way back in1985. It was sweet & sour. I was in the pits, but it was such a weight off to finally admit it, and then learn there was a way out.

Never had the urge again in all these years - thanks cloud beings!

lol

Lots of meeting, get honest, do the work - and you NEVER have to drink again as long as you live.

• Like 1

I'm away on holiday at the moment visiting friends, so has been tricky when they've introduced me to new people. I have limited my drinking so far, with the full intention to stop when I return home next week.

Need to choose the right surroundings to make the final push, but I'm determined to get a hold on it.

I have reservations about AA which I won't go into as already been discussed at great length on this forum already. Will attend a meeting next week and see how it goes.

I don't like the label of alcoholic or disease, often used by AA. For me there are many categories involved. In drinking problems. Physical dependency, mental dependency and a social dependency. For me each one has various effective methods which work for some and not for others.

For me when I return home next week I will focus more on the mental and social dependency on alcohol and I'm gonna make a general check list to monitor my triggers, which I feel often lead to my binge sessions. I hope by controlling and dealing with triggers in all situations that will help.

The support and advice on here has been overwhelming. I'm very surprised as to the amount of people that also feel the same as me. Thanks!

@bangkok blue

That is what most alcoholics do (say) I stop drinking when... .Only when the day "when" is there suddenly rherenis a new very good reason to.drink the next one.

But give it a try.

Good luck.....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app