BANGKOK 26 May 2019 02:11
Sign in to follow this  
bangkok blue

Time I got sober!

I'm reluctant to post this because of the 1000 baht charge for the weekend, but there are expenses to pay to the hotel for the venue. (Normal daily meetings are effectively free.)

Anyone wanting an introduction to AA can get a weekend full at the annual Roundup in Pattaya this weekend. I highly recommend it. No cults, no pressure, no evangelizing. Just good, sober fun. And I'm not associated with the Roundup- I just attend like hundreds of others.

http://thailandroundup.weebly.com/

BTW, I think the $30 to possibly save your own life is very reasonable, and many of us have donated a lot of "spots" over the years to people who didn't have the $10 or $30 or whatever it was. I just regret that someone's first exposure to AA is at any cost at all. That's ($$$) not what it's about.

Drinking is a rich man's game! I cannot afford to drink!

Yes, all those rich Thai's up in Isaan horde their billions of baht in order to purchase their Lawhao Whiskey.

Drinking is a rich man's game! I cannot afford to drink!

I cannot "afford" to drink! AA philosophy - "one is too many - a thousand is not enough".

Bangkok Blue - hope you can find a path you are comfortable walking on. Seems like you are still trying to figure out what that is and looks like...

I'm reluctant to post this because of the 1000 baht charge for the weekend, but there are expenses to pay to the hotel for the venue. (Normal daily meetings are effectively free.)

Anyone wanting an introduction to AA can get a weekend full at the annual Roundup in Pattaya this weekend. I highly recommend it. No cults, no pressure, no evangelizing. Just good, sober fun. And I'm not associated with the Roundup- I just attend like hundreds of others.

BTW, I think the $30 to possibly save your own life is very reasonable, and many of us have donated a lot of "spots" over the years to people who didn't have the $10 or $30 or whatever it was. I just regret that someone's first exposure to AA is at any cost at all. That's ($$$) not what it's about.

This is NOT AA. There are No charges for AA - the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. Any costs AA has are met by donations.

I believe that there was even dual pricing at this event where Thai people got over 50% discount and didn't have to pay for the meal. This is violation of AA's traditions and therefore detrimental to AA as a whole.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 2

This is NOT AA. There are No charges for AA - the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. Any costs AA has are met by donations.

I believe that there was even dual pricing at this event where Thai people got over 50% discount and didn't have to pay for the meal. This is violation of AA's traditions and therefore detrimental to AA as a whole.

I'm with you on this. There are no dues or fees for AA membership. But these events wouldn't be possible without charging something to pay for the venue. Most conferences, retreats, roundups and conventions I've been to allow anyone to attend the AA meetings without paying for attending the event. And in dozens- maybe hundreds of AA events, I have never seen anyone turned away from the event because they didn't have the money to pay.

I don't know if that's the case for the Thailand Roundup- maybe someone can post back. They did, in effect, charge 1000 baht for the conference and another 1000 for the buffet.

Unfortunately, Montezuma chose this last weekend to get his revenge for eating Friday's lunch at one of Bangkok's most popular places (which name will go unmentioned), so I didn't make the roundup this year. Sigh.

Perhaps this isn't the thread to be discussing AA traditions.

How are you doing Blue?

I would agree with that.

Hope everything is going ok with you BKK Blue...

I'm a little bit fed up.... Drinking has finally done a proper number on me I can't sleep and my thoughts and actions are erratic. What next I don't know... But I have to get a grip on this once and for all. How I do this I don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I'm a little bit fed up.... Drinking has finally done a proper number on me I can't sleep and my thoughts and actions are erratic. What next I don't know... But I have to get a grip on this once and for all. How I do this I don't know.

Eat your way out of trouble, have a very big breakfast, a big lunch, if you are a beer drinker this will decrease your immediate consumption capacity and also make it more difficult to go 'over the top' as food slows down the alcohol journey into your system and thus overload takes longer......maybe a place to start, enjoy solid food to replace the liquid alternative! You may find the need to increase your sugar intake to maintain the energy levels that the booze provides, ice cream is a lovely alternative smile.png starting the day with at least a large glass or two of water will assist in this repair strategy.

Edited by 473geo

If you're in Thailand and you want to talk, send me a PM with your phone number. Ditto if you're in BKK and want to chat in person.

"Time I got sober!"

I have been following this post intermittently. And I agree it is time you got sober. That said, you are the only one that can decide when you actually get sober. All the advice given here apply to the person giving it, not you. I hope you find your way.

Still struggling with drinking . I think I may have lost my gf because of it. Very down today... when will I ever learn that drinking does me no favours!

Don't give up giving up Blue. This is a cunning, baffling and powerful b******. It wants you to feel this way, it wants you isolated on your own, feeling blue, nursing your resentments, feeling sorry for yourself because, ..... it knows you'll drink. I hope you find the strength to pick yourself up and go again.