Time I got sober!

bangkok blue

Still struggling with drinking . I think I may have lost my gf because of it. Very down today... when will I ever learn that drinking does me no favours!

I learned when I reached bottom when I stop digging. Some alcoholics never stop digging and die due to alcohol.

I reached out for help and was willing to do anything to quit. By anything I mean absolutely anything - even going to a place where people like me were wanting to help me.

This thread has opened up some of my past.

The big confidence trick alcohol played on me was, I kept saying " I cant be an alcoholic because"

I don't need a drink early in the morning.

I can stop when I want to.

I still have a wife & family, a house, a business, cars and money......So how can I be an alcoholic?

I went to some meetings and members would tell their story but I would come away full of denial saying that has not happened to me!

Then a wise member said YET.

I went on drinking for several years and a lot of the stories I had heard about where alcoholism can take you, these things were to become my future

Then one day in 1980 I discovered that I no longer could stop drinking when I wanted to.

I walked into AA meeting a totally broken man in every facet of my life, prepared to do anything to stop drinking and stay stopped.

The older wise members told me all I have to do to start is.

Don't pick up that first drink.

Go to AA meeting on a regular basis.

Keep the program simple.

Today I have a happy contented sobriety.

Thanks to AA and the great fellowship.

coffee1.gif and I enjoy my coffee.

• Like 1

Went back to AA today. ... found a great counsellor from the cabin. .. he has been taking to me too. I know have renewed optimism and determination to beat this! Fingers crossed I can one say at a time smile.png

Best of luck mate, I hope you can make it.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I stopped smoking pot first (long time habit, over 20 years), then quit drinking, then quit smoking (smoked for 25 years). Went to a pretty rough time emotionally, but did not give up. Now I feel better than ever! I excercise a little, jogging, hiking. And eat healthy and 90% vegetarian.

I wish you strength and hope you will stay off booze forever, it really is a life changer.