Authorities target dangerous foreign drivers in Chiang Mai

webfact

A crack down on Farang drivers whilst Thai drivers continue to run red lights, overtake on the left, fail to indicate whilst swerving in and out of traffic, make left hand turns from the right lane cutting across the path on trafiic going straight ahead in the left lane. Children sitting on drivers laps or jumping around unrestrained in the vehicle.

Yep the carnage of Thai roads is all the fault of the bloody tourists and expats.

When are they going to accept some responsibility themselves instead of always shifting blame to others.

• Like 1

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A crack down on Farang drivers whilst Thai drivers continue to run red lights, overtake on the left, fail to indicate whilst swerving in and out of traffic, make left hand turns from the right lane cutting across the path on trafiic going straight ahead in the left lane. Children sitting on drivers laps or jumping around unrestrained in the vehicle.

Yep the carnage of Thai roads is all the fault of the bloody tourists and expats.

When are they going to accept some responsibility themselves instead of always shifting blame to others.

While i sure don't disagree in any way what you say i just wanted to point out that it is allowed to overtake on the left in Thailand. It's a while since i sat the test but think the book says "it is permisible to pass other traffic when any lane is free." i guess this makes the manic swerving from lane to lane technically legal too.

They have junction cctv footage showing in chiang mai driving licence waiting room. Makes "too shocking for tv" look tame

Not that i don't agree with what your saying but it is legal to overtake on the left here, I think the highway code says "it is permissable to pass any car. When any lane is free" i guess that makes swerving from lane to lane technically legal too, even though completly insane.

the driving licence waiting room in chiang mai has footage from junctions around the city of, shall we say, highlights. Many quite disturbing, most totaly gobsmakingly stupid. And of course the vast majority locals.

I do hope some of the educating of foregners is aimed at chinese to tell them to stop standing in the middle of intesections seemingly looking at overhead streetlights.

Not that i don't agree with what your saying but it is legal to overtake on the left here, I think the highway code says "it is permissable to pass any car. When any lane is free" i guess that makes swerving from lane to lane technically legal too, even though completly insane.

the driving licence waiting room in chiang mai has footage from junctions around the city of, shall we say, highlights. Many quite disturbing, most totaly gobsmakingly stupid. And of course the vast majority locals.

I do hope some of the educating of foregners is aimed at chinese to tell them to stop standing in the middle of intesections seemingly looking at overhead streetlights.

Yes it is legal if there is a lane but it is not legal to use the shoulder to overtake and it's stupid especially if they are using the shoulder when the vehicle they are overtaking is turning left.

Cheek.

Then again I suppose it must be difficult for Americans and Europeans to get used to driving on the correct side of the road, I could see many of them getting into trouble, unlike we Brits who are naturally superior drivers due to our advanced testing, and knowledge of how to drive on the right.

I don't know why you guys couldn't just follow our lead. We tell you not to form your own government but nope, and look at you now, government is shut down. We tell you not to start the Euro but nope, you had to go ahead and cause a financial crisis, and now your over here annoying the Thais with your bad driving habits. Do you know your right from your left ??? I think not.

Strewth. Maybe we should restart the Empire and sort you lot out. coffee1.gif

Okay...you got me!

I apologize for dressing up as a 16 year old girl with no drivers license and killing 9 people by driving reckless.

And I also apologize for impersonating the son of an energy drink- multibillionaire, killing a cop, while being high on cocaine and alcohol.

And of course I take full responsibility for injuring or killing hundreds of Thais in minivans or buses!

Also do I accept full responsibility for my constant speeding, drunk driving, without helmet on motorcycles against oncoming traffic with shoddy equipment...which I also allow my 10 year old Thai-son to do!

And I apologize for idiotic driving in general, not taking note of red lights, speed limits, parking limitations....

Sorry, Thailand...I am just despicable!

Finally! At least ONE who takes full responsibility for this f88889 up Thai Kingdom ...

Finally! At least ONE who knows what he is suppose to do.

I love you man and I invite you to become a guest writer for my book about the real Thailand. I guess it's about time to turn the whoring pussy pages and let the people CLEARLY know what they are up against should they (want to) hook up with any Thai!

Thailand, you are free to suppress anything and anyone in your kingdom - but the truth about how you totally <deleted> up a whole nation and its people, WILL RAISE TO SURFACE, whether you like it or not. You have NO influence on what is spoken and addressed about you, OUTSIDE your rotten environment! Then we will see, if you still can afford to demand others to respect your ignorance, arrogance and racism.

Wow, there are some very wound up people in this forum. If its so bad here, why do they persist in living here? Yes it is agreed that somethings are not as we would like or not the same as 'back home', but then I didnt come to Thailand to be 'back home'.

But getting back to the original topic.... it would be good if the authorities got their head out of the sand and targeted the main culprits of dangerous or stupid driving, that being their local population. Or perhaps if the police actually did the job they were paid to do... law enforcement, which includes enforcing traffic rules.

The counter arguement that locals cannot afford to pay fines and therefore enforcement is difficult doesnt hold any water IMO. Ok so they say they have no money...then confiscate their vehicle and give them a certain period of time in which to pay the fine. If the time period elapses then the vehicle is auctioned off. Im sure that would change a few attitudes towards road/traffic rules, and pehaps we wouldnt see so many 'idiots' running red lights. I for one would be all for the installation of red light cameras in Chiang Mai.... have only seen one accident as a result of a red light runner, and that was enough.

I live here in CM. I read in one of the local papers that the plan was to simply require car and motorcycle rental shops to validate that the 'foreign' renter had a valid driver's license. Obviously, that is a step in the right direction. Traffic here is dangerous, but there is a sort of organization to the chaotic driving habits of the locals. A seasoned, licensed driver who drives defensively is probably as safe as anyone else on the road. But I have seen foreigners on motorcycles who probably had never driven one before, and probably were not licensed to drive a motorcycle in their own country, doing really, really stupid things on the road. So requiring a license check isn't a bad idea. But in reality is it enforceable? I have my doubts.

In the larger scope of things though, the bad driving foreigners are no more of a danger than 50% of the local native drivers. Until Thailand puts mobile police units on the road and start enforcing Moving Traffic Violations as they do in Western countries, the roads will never be any safer.

"...but who also get behind the wheel of a vehicle without having the correct documentation, such as an international driving license."

Rental cars do not require international driving licenses ... does anyone know if Thai law does?

From my understanding you do require an international licence that is translated into Thai and if you are in the country for 3 months or more then you require a Thai driver licence. Australia has the same laws. I have also heard that if you are involved in a collision then the Thai insurance companies will only accept a Thai driver licence but I will stand corrected.

International licenses are seldom if ever checked. I drove in Thailand two years and never was asked for one even though I had one. My valid, foreign drivers license was always accepted by the BIB.

While it may be legal ( or not ) one would be foolish to do so, as cars might be parked in the left lane illegally.

Anyone that has lived in Thailand knows that Thais have total disregard for traffic laws and safety while driving.

I don't think this is entirely fair.

Is it possible to disregard something if you're not aware of it in the first place? I think not.