Authorities target dangerous foreign drivers in Chiang Mai

webfact

'Authorities Target Dangerous Foreign Drivers in Chiang Mai'

So what do the Authorities look for first, dangerous drivers or foreign drivers ? Or are dangerous and foreign synonymous?

They can only target the dangerous foreign drivers because the dangerous Thai drivers all flee the scene after a nasty accident.

1,000 accidents

998 drivers unknown

2 identified are foreigners

So 100% of identified drivers in nasty accidents are foreign.

Logic dictates that the unidentified drivers are most likely also foreign.

• Like 1

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"mister, you got diving licence?"

"yup, i got diving licence".

"no mister, this is for diving, not diving!"

"oh! im sorry, i thought you asked for my PADI licence! i suppose you want 500bt now?"

*always worked fine until 2005, i guess more of them had learned to read english by then*

• Like 1

Local lady almost ran over me and my family while making an illegal turn from a far lane. She approached me while we were entering Big C, and said: You need to look out for me farang! I've been trying to do that all along, but watching 360 for all the locals, who surely are all driving with proper permits, registered motor vehicles and a thorough knowledge of the laws governing the Chiang Mai motorways is quite stressful.

I propose the honorable Chanchai Kilapaeng, require all drivers to install big rubber bumpers surrounding their cars. Not sure what to do about the motorbikes.

Anyone who enjoys driving here must be a thrill seeker or incredibly myopic.

[..] Thai drivers continue to run red lights, overtake on the left, fail to indicate whilst swerving in and out of traffic, make left hand turns from the right lane cutting across the path on trafiic going straight ahead in the left lane. Children sitting on drivers laps or jumping around unrestrained in the vehicle. [...]

You forgot my favorite, the top of the idiotic behavior when driving: Turn on hazard lights to indicate that you want to go straight ahead at the junction. I have seen this nonsense in no other country before.

Good acting. Do they have enough officers who can speak English? And farang who do not know the Thai traffic rules? That's simple: there are no rules. Perhaps they wanna catch the farang who rent a car for some weeks?

Cheek.

Then again I suppose it must be difficult for Americans and Europeans to get used to driving on the correct side of the road, I could see many of them getting into trouble, unlike we Brits who are naturally superior drivers due to our advanced testing, and knowledge of how to drive on the right.

I don't know why you guys couldn't just follow our lead. We tell you not to form your own government but nope, and look at you now, government is shut down. We tell you not to start the Euro but nope, you had to go ahead and cause a financial crisis, and now your over here annoying the Thais with your bad driving habits.

Strewth. Maybe we should restart the Empire and sort you lot out. coffee1.gif

Too funny to be true laugh.png

Cheek.

Then again I suppose it must be difficult for Americans and Europeans to get used to driving on the correct side of the road, I could see many of them getting into trouble, unlike we Brits who are naturally superior drivers due to our advanced testing, and knowledge of how to drive on the right.

I don't know why you guys couldn't just follow our lead. We tell you not to form your own government but nope, and look at you now, government is shut down. We tell you not to start the Euro but nope, you had to go ahead and cause a financial crisis, and now your over here annoying the Thais with your bad driving habits.

I am not from any of the places you mentioned, however, from where I sit the Brits are no better than anyone else! What a crock!! I see more Brits in accidents here in Chiang Mai than any other country. I guess you will have to put a hold on restarting the Empire!

Prove it smile.png

Cheek.

Drive on the RIGHT? Seems like you are one of those foreigners causing havoc on the roads.

It was a typo, well spotted though. thumbsup.gif

I don't know a single Thai who comply with the laws and the road safety code. They all want to kill you on the road and they keep saying we are the problem? Dear police chef, the reality is that Thailand is number 1 in death toll concerning visitors and your country is number 5th in the world concerning general casualities on the road. If you think the problem is about foreigners, stop taking them in your country, there are other places we can go to spend out money. If, finally, you admit that the problems on the road are related to the heratic way Thais drive their vehicule, everybody will be happier and you will finally get rid of the real problem.

• Like 1

Now a days I always look for the date. It might be the 1th of April :-).

As everybody knows, there is no Thai driver who has a real driverslicence. Just with grandma around the block, exam, and pay. So you get your licence to k!ll.

I have never seen a Thai policeman give chase and actually stop anyone for a moving violation. I'm sure it must happen... Maybe the highway patrol guys do it sometimes out on the highways. But I have never seen it. Only "checkpoint" kinds of things. The standard kind out in the country, but more often, one comes around the corner and there's a half dozen BiB, looking for people without helmets, or expired/no tags, etc. My vehicles are all licensed properly, and my Thai license has a few more years before it expires. Absolutely hate to drive the truck in downtown CM, and always wear a helmet on the bike. No problems with the BiB so far. The only accident was in the truck, back when it was new, and a Thai woman decided there should be five lanes on the airport highway instead of three.

Cheek.

Well, the Empire has struck back and come to you now... and you guys are doing a fine job sorting that out.

"...but who also get behind the wheel of a vehicle without having the correct documentation, such as an international driving license."

Rental cars do not require international driving licenses ... does anyone know if Thai law does?

From my understanding you do require an international licence that is translated into Thai and if you are in the country for 3 months or more then you require a Thai driver licence. Australia has the same laws. I have also heard that if you are involved in a collision then the Thai insurance companies will only accept a Thai driver licence but I will stand corrected.

True, excepting Singapore and Malaysian licenses are accepted without an international license. Although the police do not always know this, I was once fined for not having an international license even though I had a valid Singapore license.

"discussed the possibility of introducing measures in order to reduce road traffic accidents and other problems caused on the roads by foreign tourists"

So what are these measures they discussed apart from the obvious in this story about cracking down on tourists and collecting money. All that is going to due is reduce is the debt on the BIB's bar tab and not reduce road accidents.

What about streamlining the process for expats to obtain a Thai driver licence for a start. Instead of making them jump through hoops, roll over and beg whilst balancing a baby elephant on their nose simply accept their international licence or countries licence showing yrs of experience. In Australia the process is very simple, you go along to the Roads Corp office produce your licence and if you possess at least 12 months of driving experience you can obtain a licence on the spot. My wife did it in Melbourne, Aust simply filled out some basic documentation, produced identification and her Thai licence showing 5 yrs experience paid the fee and walked out with her new licence. Road Rules are pretty much universal apart from some obscure ones such as those involving trams in the Melbourne CBD.

It is not the Farangs not knowing the road rules in Thailand or lack of driving experience that causes accidents it is the lack of knowledge on how the thais disrespect the laws and drive as tho they are the only ones on the road.

My wife tells me that they have started the advertising campaign for tourists on T.V already, the only problem is that it is in Thai and not many tourists watch Thai television.

No hoops Chooka. They accepted my AUS driving licence OK. No problems. Just had to do a colour-blindness test. (Have to know when to jump a traffic light) & a reaction test with a make shift brake/accelerator to ensure I can catch the Thai light jumpers.

The DMT was proud of me!

Cheek.

Good post. I LOL'd, and I'm American. Good luck "restarting the Empire." You're gonna have to trickle charge your battery for quite a long time to get that starter to turn over.

But seriously, I think this time, by "foreigners," they may be referring to the Burmese and Chinese. Every time we're out driving and we somebody in a beat-up old truck poking along at half the speed limit or doing something stupid on the road, the missus says they're Burmese. She's got Burmese radar, that gal I married.

"...but who also get behind the wheel of a vehicle without having the correct documentation, such as an international driving license."

Rental cars do not require international driving licenses ... does anyone know if Thai law does?

I believe that some rental car companies will rent you a car if you don't have an international driving licence BUT, in the event of an accident, the insurance is not valid.

Well, when you want to obscure the ridiculous driving of the thai people that there is only one way left, blame the bloody foreigners and tourists! Yes, they are trying to make friends all over the world!wai.gifwai2.gifclap2.gif

Yes buy if we pay 30 bucks for a worthless "International Drivers License" everything is fine? OMB that has to go down as one to the ever growing list of dumb statements

If it was only $30 I would be happy but here in OZ they now want $80! Just so I can drive for a seven day trip I had planned.

"mister, you got diving licence?"

"yup, i got diving licence".

"no mister, this is for diving, not diving!"

"oh! im sorry, i thought you asked for my PADI licence! i suppose you want 500bt now?"

*always worked fine until 2005, i guess more of them had learned to read english by then*

I have an authentic international driver's license based on mine from back home. The few times I have been asked to show it, the officer has given it a look, tried (and failed) to conceal his confusion and then pass it back to me. It is nice that it has lot of stamps all over it and a photo and important looking signatures. Never seen one who actually knew what he was looking at. Maybe in BKK or Patts or Phuket, but I doubt it.

I wonder if this latest "crackdown" on evil farang will include Chinese motorcycle renters?

BTW if you want a good laugh, you cant go past a shady Coffee Station table at the Petronas servo on Kotchasarn as you sip the excellent espresso.

Here you have a ringisde seat as they roar off with their 100 THB petrol fill, side stand down, helmets on back-to-front, feet drragging, upside down freebie map in hand and cut accross all the oncoming red songtheouws belching smoke as they troll for customers.

I am compiling a photo essay - so far it is pretty darn hilarious,

Why should rental cars be above the law. You do have to have an international driving licence by law in Thailand. Easy enough to obtain in your own country.

I am not saying that Thai drivers are not to blame but frankly I saw too many foreigners renting very powerful bikes and running them like <deleted> in short pants and with no helmets to know that there is also an issue on this side.

Most of them never even have rode a motorcycle previously and they are indeed very dangerous on the road.

Ridiculous!!! Even westerners who have only a license for a 50cc scooter went through at least 3 months of theoretical and practical education and a theoretical and practical test and therefore have a much higher quality education level regarding driving a vehicle than any Thai has in the one day it takes to get a drivers license here!!! To me it looks like this: 40% of Thais can actually drive. Of the remaining 60% one half drives like maniacs and the other half snails around. This post is not meant to bash Thais, but is simply telling it like it is!!!

It is not the Farangs not knowing the road rules in Thailand or lack of driving experience that causes accidents it is the lack of knowledge on how the thais disrespect the laws and drive as tho they are the only ones on the road.

This.

• Like 2

Great Britain and the previous colonial countries, Singapore, Malaysia, drive on the left. This is almost certainly the reason Thailand does as well.

Nothing to do with buying most of their cars from Japan?? after being colonised by Japan during the war?

Edited by bangon04

They are just assuming that the drivers are foreign but there is no real evidence because the drivers normally do a runner.

Ah-ha ! So those "crash and run" drivers are all foreign devils then ? Well that explains it, it all makes sense now. Like the crazy Aussie bloke who decided his calling in life was to be a Phuket black taxi driver. It was only a matter of time before he caused havoc on the roads.

I have lived in the city area of Chiang Mai for 4 years now and I wish the authorities would target the red song-teeows. I have been fighting a running battle with them for years and they are winning. sad.png

My wife tells me that they have started the advertising campaign for tourists on T.V already, the only problem is that it is in Thai and not many tourists watch Thai television.

Maybe the point is just that. They are talking to the Thai people. Why? Good PR. To make it appear as if they are doing something effective in spite of the fact they are doing nothing. What harm is being done? It props up the Thai ego and make them feel good about how well they drive. Also Its sounds like a good reason to stop more Farlang drivers in hope of finding a reason for a violation and thus a fine. Hence more money. Smart all they way around. Evidently, even blessed by the tourist police. What's not to like?

• Like 1