Authorities target dangerous foreign drivers in Chiang Mai

webfact

It is not the Farangs not knowing the road rules in Thailand or lack of driving experience that causes accidents it is the lack of knowledge on how the thais disrespect the laws and drive as tho they are the only ones on the road.

Even armed with this knowledge, avoiding an accident can be quite difficult!

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not saying that Thai drivers are not to blame but frankly I saw too many foreigners renting very powerful bikes and running them like <deleted> in short pants and with no helmets to know that there is also an issue on this side.

Most of them never even have rode a motorcycle previously and they are indeed very dangerous on the road.

Good point. I agree. It's the same the world over.

They have to be kidding! We foreigner drivers actually consider the yellow line down the center of the roads as something more than just a suggestion! Foreign drivers being the problem? I do not think so! We at least spend more time taking a driving test than any Thai and we are far better drivers in general. If the Thai drivers could only play by the rules of the road ( the Thai ones for that matter) and the police actually pull them over... things would be far safer for all of us and there would be fewer accidents over all.

Okay I am finished ranting at this stupid story.

How about just setting up a radar trap on HWY 107 near Mae Rim and see who they nab. I think Minivans, pick up trucks hauling produce, and buses would top the list. Oh... and any vehicle with Bangkok plates!

• Like 2

Since yours is the only posting that attempts a bit of thought, and civility. May I ask one question. Is it not reasonable for a country to expect and test the abilities of drivers to understand road signs, paint schemes for parking / no parking, demonstrate that they can, in fact, drive a car ,,, and on the proper side of the street?

Even if a transfer program were started, is it the responsibility of Thailand to be current on the 50 versions of American Licenses, and another few hundred more from countries around the world? Even then, that would only be supporting documentation that you were licensed...mean nothing here...and put us back to square one.

As to the other postings .. Gentlemen, you simply can not have it both ways. If you agree that the driving in Thailand is "unusual" ... and the Thai's know it too...then wouldn't it be prudent to see if you are up to the task? As in ... When in Rome... ??

I did pass the exams for a Thai License, and do not read Thai, and only speak enough to take taxis, order meals hello, thank you ...etc. As an American, who was socialized on the "wrong side of the road" it is not something I make much use of, and only on long extended highway drives to give my wife a break, and then turn it back over to my her - who is a very good driver, to handle the insanity of BKK traffic.

I will say, the process takes something that could be achieved in two hours...and stretches it to 8+. Another problem is that certain papers must be in order to get through the process, and for many...that is a meaningful hurdle.

"discussed the possibility of introducing measures in order to reduce road traffic accidents and other problems caused on the roads by foreign tourists"

So what are these measures they discussed apart from the obvious in this story about cracking down on tourists and collecting money. All that is going to due is reduce is the debt on the BIB's bar tab and not reduce road accidents.

What about streamlining the process for expats to obtain a Thai driver licence for a start. Instead of making them jump through hoops, roll over and beg whilst balancing a baby elephant on their nose simply accept their international licence or countries licence showing yrs of experience. In Australia the process is very simple, you go along to the Roads Corp office produce your licence and if you possess at least 12 months of driving experience you can obtain a licence on the spot. My wife did it in Melbourne, Aust simply filled out some basic documentation, produced identification and her Thai licence showing 5 yrs experience paid the fee and walked out with her new licence. Road Rules are pretty much universal apart from some obscure ones such as those involving trams in the Melbourne CBD.

It is not the Farangs not knowing the road rules in Thailand or lack of driving experience that causes accidents it is the lack of knowledge on how the thais disrespect the laws and drive as tho they are the only ones on the road.

My wife tells me that they have started the advertising campaign for tourists on T.V already, the only problem is that it is in Thai and not many tourists watch Thai television.

A crack down on Farang drivers whilst Thai drivers continue to run red lights, overtake on the left, fail to indicate whilst swerving in and out of traffic, make left hand turns from the right lane cutting across the path on traffic going straight ahead in the left lane. Children sitting on drivers laps or jumping around unrestrained in the vehicle.

Yep the carnage of Thai roads is all the fault of the bloody tourists and expats.

When are they going to accept some responsibility themselves instead of always shifting blame to others.

Not to mention: no rear-license plates or no plates at all, full lights on including fog lights front and rear when not necessary,

children everywhere preferably more than 2 on the drivers lap or front seat and of course not wearing seat belts.

What about cutting motorbikes in corners and when you honk your horn Thais get angry and aggressive.

Yeah it's time the foreigners learn to drive like Thais instead of trying to obey the traffic rules and ethics.

How about just setting up a radar trap on HWY 107 near Mae Rim and see who they nab. I think Minivans, pick up trucks hauling produce, and buses would top the list. Oh... and any vehicle with Bangkok plates!

Or no plates at all. It seems to become a hype to remove your license plate(s). Once I saw a private policeman's car without any plates.

"discussed the possibility of introducing measures in order to reduce road traffic accidents and other problems caused on the roads by foreign tourists"

So what are these measures they discussed apart from the obvious in this story about cracking down on tourists and collecting money. All that is going to due is reduce is the debt on the BIB's bar tab and not reduce road accidents.

What about streamlining the process for expats to obtain a Thai driver licence for a start. Instead of making them jump through hoops, roll over and beg whilst balancing a baby elephant on their nose simply accept their international licence or countries licence showing yrs of experience. In Australia the process is very simple, you go along to the Roads Corp office produce your licence and if you possess at least 12 months of driving experience you can obtain a licence on the spot. My wife did it in Melbourne, Aust simply filled out some basic documentation, produced identification and her Thai licence showing 5 yrs experience paid the fee and walked out with her new licence. Road Rules are pretty much universal apart from some obscure ones such as those involving trams in the Melbourne CBD.

My wife tells me that they have started the advertising campaign for tourists on T.V already, the only problem is that it is in Thai and not many tourists watch Thai television.

How can you complain about getting a Thai dl its so easy. Took me an hour to get the 1st one and there after every 5 years an hour. If I go to the UK or US can I drive without an Idl?

They have to be kidding! We foreigner drivers actually consider the yellow line down the center of the roads as something more than just a suggestion! Foreign drivers being the problem? I do not think so! We at least spend more time taking a driving test than any Thai and we are far better drivers in general. If the Thai drivers could only play by the rules of the road ( the Thai ones for that matter) and the police actually pull them over... things would be far safer for all of us and there would be fewer accidents over all.

Okay I am finished ranting at this stupid story.

Well don't be too sure about ALL foreign drivers. Although the majority of Thai drivers are the worst and most rude ever, I've seen foreign drivers who adopted the same Thai driving style....

Cheek.

Then again I suppose it must be difficult for Americans and Europeans to get used to driving on the correct side of the road, I could see many of them getting into trouble, unlike we Brits who are naturally superior drivers due to our advanced testing, and knowledge of how to drive on the right.

I don't know why you guys couldn't just follow our lead. We tell you not to form your own government but nope, and look at you now, government is shut down. We tell you not to start the Euro but nope, you had to go ahead and cause a financial crisis, and now your over here annoying the Thais with your bad driving habits.

Strewth. Maybe we should restart the Empire and sort you lot out. coffee1.gif

I assume your joking. You ARE joking aren't' you?!

"...but who also get behind the wheel of a vehicle without having the correct documentation, such as an international driving license."

Rental cars do not require international driving licenses ... does anyone know if Thai law does?

From my understanding you do require an international licence that is translated into Thai and if you are in the country for 3 months or more then you require a Thai driver licence. Australia has the same laws. I have also heard that if you are involved in a collision then the Thai insurance companies will only accept a Thai driver licence but I will stand corrected.

That's what I've been told, but, on the tollway was once told that I had to have an International licence because my Thai licence was only really for Thais. No, I didn't pay the requested 200 after my wife argued with the cop.

As we all who have lived here a long time know, it's a matter of which Thai officer/official you talk to....same at immigration, etc.

• Like 1

I don't know a single Thai who comply with the laws and the road safety code. They all want to kill you on the road and they keep saying we are the problem? Dear police chef, the reality is that Thailand is number 1 in death toll concerning visitors and your country is number 5th in the world concerning general casualities on the road. If you think the problem is about foreigners, stop taking them in your country, there are other places we can go to spend out money. If, finally, you admit that the problems on the road are related to the heratic way Thais drive their vehicule, everybody will be happier and you will finally get rid of the real problem.

Thais know the flow of traffic, then a farang comes along trying to drive all orderly trying to change things and in the process causes disorder !

Thais cope with traffic, farangatangs just bitch about it and everything else they dont like about thailand.

dont let the door hit you in the ass, no one is making you stay here.

there's plenty of farang tourists who have NEVER driven a bike who decide to rent a 100cc scooter or honda wave and get into accidents/trouble. sure, thai drivers are not the best of the world, but at least most thai kids have been driving a motorcycle since the age of 11. farang have not.

Add to that there are plenty of tourists who don't have a drivers license in the first place that rent a scooter, because all the rent guy wants is their passport as security on the bike they don't care about the license. Bonus for the bike owner if the tourist with no license crashes it because then they get a new bike for free.

Yes I have seen this happen, guest turns up at the hotel on the bike to check in.

Receptionist: Can I have your passport to complete the check in details.

Guest: I don't have it, I gave it to the guy I rented the bike from.

Receptionist: Ok, can I have your drivers license?

Guest: I don't have a drivers license.

Receptionist: So how did you rent a bike?

Guest: He wasn't interested in my drivers license only my passport.

I wonder how many tourist have checked their travel insurance to see if they are actually covered while riding a scooter, I know some travel insurance companies exclude it from their cover, I think there was a case of a Kiwi in Phuket a while back who discovered this once they reached the hospital.

Ridicolous. The Thai police should better control to own people then to blame foreign tourists. Driving without licence, without a helmet on motorbike, drunk driving, reckless speeding and overtaking, Thais are worst drivers I have seen in my life. I visited 58 countries so far, but in no country the driving level is so bad like in Thailand. The view of Chiangmai Police is very narrow-minded and racist too.

• Like 2

Usually foreigners stop at the traffic lights when they change to RED but Thais don't recognize this dangerous (foreign) procedure and they end up ramming into the back of the slowing or stationary vehicle, causing the foreigner to cause an accident.

This is a very dangerous situation so foreigners must be educated especially regarding the need to accelerate when they think the lights might be changing to red, also they must be made aware that if the lights are already on red it may not signal a requirement to stop and in fact it may be more beneficial to accelerate across the junction as to minimize the damage that may be caused.

Rule number one in Thailand is:

"whenever there is an accident where a foreigner is involved it must be the foreigners fault because Khon Thai know how to drive and foreigners... don't (well that's just the way it is)"

"Info taken from the Thai highway code book"

Another moron completely out of touch with reality

No Kidding ! !

Why don't they just simply get busy APPLYING the existing traffic-laws for ALL road-users ? ! ? ! - I.O.W. - just go & do your dam_n jobs ! ! ! ! !

sick.gif

Edited by jaapfries
  • Like 1

Sat waiting paiently at the traffic lights on Sukumvit on Wed last. Pair of Tai's on motor bike joined oncoming stream of traffic. Suddenly, 30 seconds later they are riding at unbelievable speed back up into the incoming traffic and swerve back into our junction then continue North along Sukumvit. Could they be farang's disguised as Thai? Think not!

Just when you think they couldnt be more mentally retarded they come up with this, if anyone can drive better than the Thais its the bulk of Western tourists who actually had to pass a real test. Chines and Indians possibly excluded I heard India was worse than Thailand.

Ok so we must

1 tailgate

2 Swerve all over the road with no signals

3 Undertake

4 Drink drive

5 Blame everything for our accidents but ourself, ie the bend was sharp and wet and this caused the accident

6 Overtake on blind bends

7 leave seltbelts off

OK Im gonna start doing all this so I should be ok I reckon!

Looks like I'm late to the party on this thread, but I'll throw in my 2 cents worth.

“…to ensure foreign drivers and those visiting the city abide by the local traffic laws.”

“Many of these drivers are also unlicensed”

Sounds like a perfect description of the Thai populace.

“…get behind the wheel of a vehicle without having the correct documentation, such as an international driving license…”

Yeah, that’s exactly what an International License does, makes you a better driver, NOT! Are they joking or just stupid. I'll opt for the latter. An IDP proves nothing except that you can jump through useless hoops to be legal. All an IDP is, is a translation of your national license and the irony of that is Thai is not one of the languages they translate it to.

“Police will then actively begin cracking down on dangerous foreign drivers who violate traffic laws and/or drive without a valid license from 1st November 2013.”

You mean more than they do now. Wow!

Cheek.

Then again I suppose it must be difficult for Americans and Europeans to get used to driving on the correct side of the road, I could see many of them getting into trouble, unlike we Brits who are naturally superior drivers due to our advanced testing, and knowledge of how to drive on the right.

I don't know why you guys couldn't just follow our lead. We tell you not to form your own government but nope, and look at you now, government is shut down. We tell you not to start the Euro but nope, you had to go ahead and cause a financial crisis, and now your over here annoying the Thais with your bad driving habits.

I am not from any of the places you mentioned, however, from where I sit the Brits are no better than anyone else! What a crock!! I see more Brits in accidents here in Chiang Mai than any other country. I guess you will have to put a hold on restarting the Empire!

If you see all these accidents, how can you tell they are Brits? Are you just assuming? Brits, Americans, Australians and most Europeans look similar.

The international licence is once again a law that is rarely enforced. It's probably to do with being able to find fault, of last resort, if anything goes wrong.

You think a Thai' cop can actually "read" an International License ? ? ? ? - Think again, pal !!

Clearly there is something wrong here? I have just driven from Chiang Mai out to the suburbs .. I have witnessed a true lack of road user understanding.

The Police ( bless them) could be seen riding their motorcycles on pavements and waving at traffic as if a sign of affection , drivers making 3 or 4 lanes when there are only 1 or 2 .. a" I am bigger than you attitude so get out of my way ", is it really only 3 seconds after red comes up that you can still proceed at traffic lights...? all I can say is that the population of Chiang Mai must be made up almost exclusively of expats and farang! Where are all the Thais these days ?

Oh yes got my thai driving licence and now am called Khun Thai by the neighbours ... all who are clearly identifiable as farang by their blackened out windows.......

now about those guys who drive on the wrong side of the road ........

The special service center will conduct courses for foreigners so they can familiarize themselves with traffic laws and safe driving practices prevalent among Chiang Mai locals, such as:

- driving on the wrong side of the road

- driving without head lights at night

- overtaking when there is an unbroken line

- making u-turns wherever the no u-turn sign is up

- turning right wherever a no turning right sign stands

- overtaking while driving uphill

- strictly ignoring no parking signs

- parking in second row

- driving motorcycles on footpaths

- driving under the influence

- speeding at all times

- running red lights

- not slowing down at yellow lights

- ignoring pedestrian cross-overs, especially zebra crossings

- driving against the traffic flow in one-way streets

The measures are intended to make foreign visitors more comfortable in the northern province, so their vacation will be a memorable one.

Cheek.

How to drive on the RIGHT !!! You back in the U.S.A. ?

"...but who also get behind the wheel of a vehicle without having the correct documentation, such as an international driving license."

Rental cars do not require international driving licenses ... does anyone know if Thai law does?

You will be able to hire a vehicle without an IDP, but if the police get involved with you, I believe they require to see one.