Authorities target dangerous foreign drivers in Chiang Mai

webfact

I have never seen a Thai policeman give chase and actually stop anyone for a moving violation. I'm sure it must happen... Maybe the highway patrol guys do it sometimes out on the highways. But I have never seen it. Only "checkpoint" kinds of things. The standard kind out in the country, but more often, one comes around the corner and there's a half dozen BiB, looking for people without helmets, or expired/no tags, etc. My vehicles are all licensed properly, and my Thai license has a few more years before it expires. Absolutely hate to drive the truck in downtown CM, and always wear a helmet on the bike. No problems with the BiB so far. The only accident was in the truck, back when it was new, and a Thai woman decided there should be five lanes on the airport highway instead of three.

I have seen one cop giving chase, this was in Patong, I was sitting quietly enjoying my morning coffee, when I heard a "commotion", looking up I see this guy on a "big" bike motoring along, maybe 80k's/h, weaving in and out of traffic, so far fairly normal, but then comes the pursing cop, on his 125cc scooter, one hand on the handle bars, the other, and this made me laugh, holding the whistle to his mouth. So funny watching him blowing madly expecting the other guy not only to hear him but also to stop.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"discussed the possibility of introducing measures in order to reduce road traffic accidents and other problems caused on the roads by foreign tourists"

So what are these measures they discussed apart from the obvious in this story about cracking down on tourists and collecting money. All that is going to due is reduce is the debt on the BIB's bar tab and not reduce road accidents.

What about streamlining the process for expats to obtain a Thai driver licence for a start. Instead of making them jump through hoops, roll over and beg whilst balancing a baby elephant on their nose simply accept their international licence or countries licence showing yrs of experience. In Australia the process is very simple, you go along to the Roads Corp office produce your licence and if you possess at least 12 months of driving experience you can obtain a licence on the spot. My wife did it in Melbourne, Aust simply filled out some basic documentation, produced identification and her Thai licence showing 5 yrs experience paid the fee and walked out with her new licence. Road Rules are pretty much universal apart from some obscure ones such as those involving trams in the Melbourne CBD.

It is not the Farangs not knowing the road rules in Thailand or lack of driving experience that causes accidents it is the lack of knowledge on how the thais disrespect the laws and drive as tho they are the only ones on the road.

My wife tells me that they have started the advertising campaign for tourists on T.V already, the only problem is that it is in Thai and not many tourists watch Thai television.

Chooka, I don't think you should say Australia overall, however, your statement is completely FALSE, well at least according to VicRoads (Melbourne)... see this http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Licences/NewToVictoria/OverseasDriversLicences.htm and getting a Thai licence isn't that hard, if you already have a VALID licence/s in your own country, in fact it is much easier than a foreigner getting a licence in Oz.

Which part is completely false. It was actually Vic Roads that my wife got her licence.

My wife tells me that they have started the advertising campaign for tourists on T.V already, the only problem is that it is in Thai and not many tourists watch Thai television.

Well there you go! PERFECTLY LOGICAL; to a Thai at least, but NOT to us. I wonder if they have got any more bright ideas?

Maybe one day someone will turn the light on, but I very much doubt it. Xenophobia at its Thai best.; they'd win gold medals for this event hands down!

The "light" is a farang invention therefore does NOT work for Thais.

"discussed the possibility of introducing measures in order to reduce road traffic accidents and other problems caused on the roads by foreign tourists"

So what are these measures they discussed apart from the obvious in this story about cracking down on tourists and collecting money. All that is going to due is reduce is the debt on the BIB's bar tab and not reduce road accidents.

What about streamlining the process for expats to obtain a Thai driver licence for a start. Instead of making them jump through hoops, roll over and beg whilst balancing a baby elephant on their nose simply accept their international licence or countries licence showing yrs of experience. In Australia the process is very simple, you go along to the Roads Corp office produce your licence and if you possess at least 12 months of driving experience you can obtain a licence on the spot. My wife did it in Melbourne, Aust simply filled out some basic documentation, produced identification and her Thai licence showing 5 yrs experience paid the fee and walked out with her new licence. Road Rules are pretty much universal apart from some obscure ones such as those involving trams in the Melbourne CBD.

It is not the Farangs not knowing the road rules in Thailand or lack of driving experience that causes accidents it is the lack of knowledge on how the thais disrespect the laws and drive as tho they are the only ones on the road.

Chooka, I don't think you should say Australia overall, however, your statement is completely FALSE, well at least according to VicRoads (Melbourne)... see this http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Licences/NewToVictoria/OverseasDriversLicences.htm and getting a Thai licence isn't that hard, if you already have a VALID licence/s in your own country, in fact it is much easier than a foreigner getting a licence in Oz.

Which part is completely false. It was actually Vic Roads that my wife got her licence.

Go read the site, clearly having a foreign licence is NOT enough.

Edited by Rorri

They need to "crack down" on the drivers. What's with flashing your lights instead of stopping for the red light????

In my years here in Thailand, with the exception of the Mini Vans on the road; They are very dangerous.....The only

thing more dangerous on the road other than a Thai in his new luxury car, is a 70 year old farang in his 5 year old

honda or toyota, that "wants to show everyone how to drive".............

Oh please "mary" go suck it.....your comment is so ridiculous, next time add something sensible and on topic. One question, and I bet you can't give an honest answer. You say 70 year olds, just how many 70 year old farang have you seen driving, how do you prove their age and how do you prove your comment? Seems to me you are a bit short of grey matter.

Go read the site, clearly having a foreign licence is NOT enough.

Fair enough my wife didn't get her Victorian driver licence as I stated, I was mistaken. I just have to work out what happened on that day we went now and the process we went through. She didn't do any tests, produced the required documentation and was issued with a card which we thought was a driver licence. I will inform her that it is not a licence.

And this government decision days after yet another transporter drove a pick-up truck full of innocent day-workers into a tree, killing almost everybody in the vehicle. Or in the face of the daily SE Asian practice of loading 4 people onto a 125cc bike, often with an infant being held loosely in the arms of one of the parents (a cigarette or cell phone in the other).

I'd suggest that the BIB start looking at the truly dangerous driving habits of the locals first.

"My wife tells me that they have started the advertising campaign for tourists on T.V already, the only problem is that it is in Thai and not many tourists watch Thai television".

Nor do many ex-pats - it's for kids. And this is just another example of extracting Farang cash while showing the Thai viewers that the authorities are on top of the game - and is it coming up to voting time, already?

Road Safety - Thailand will achieve NOTHING nless it addresses ALL the 3 "E"s -

Enforcement

Education

Engineering

So long as they concentrate half-heartedly on the enforcement aspect nothing will be achieved.

There are many poor people in Thailand who through economic necessity use inappropriate and substandard vehicles on the roads - they also carry passengers in inappropriate vehicles.....none of this can stop until the economics change - so if you want cheep labour you need cheap transport - or else higher wages, better distribution of wealth and of course higher CoL..............

Still see posts indicating that foreign drivers are convinced that they are above and not part of the problem - LOOK AGAIN!

Edited by wilcopops

there's plenty of farang tourists who have NEVER driven a bike who decide to rent a 100cc scooter or honda wave and get into accidents/trouble. sure, thai drivers are not the best of the world, but at least most thai kids have been driving a motorcycle since the age of 11. farang have not.

Agree that thai kids start to drive when they are 11 years old, and many of them don't get any older :-(

Even when they carry on living.

And this government decision days after yet another transporter drove a pick-up truck full of innocent day-workers into a tree, killing almost everybody in the vehicle. Or in the face of the daily SE Asian practice of loading 4 people onto a 125cc bike, often with an infant being held loosely in the arms of one of the parents (a cigarette or cell phone in the other).

I'd suggest that the BIB start looking at the truly dangerous driving habits of the locals first.

I think they believe that the farangs are the real problem and not Thai's. Farangs may be the minority using the roads but I guess they believe that the Farangs cause the majority of road deaths/injuries in Thailand.

A crack down on Farang drivers whilst Thai drivers continue to run red lights, overtake on the left, fail to indicate whilst swerving in and out of traffic, make left hand turns from the right lane cutting across the path on trafiic going straight ahead in the left lane. Children sitting on drivers laps or jumping around unrestrained in the vehicle.

Yep the carnage of Thai roads is all the fault of the bloody tourists and expats.

When are they going to accept some responsibility themselves instead of always shifting blame to others.

I thought the statement said foreign drivers, not farang? Could they be talking about drivers from Myanmar, China, Lao or others? Might be time to take the chip off the shoulder for a while.

A crack down on Farang drivers whilst Thai drivers continue to run red lights, overtake on the left, fail to indicate whilst swerving in and out of traffic, make left hand turns from the right lane cutting across the path on trafiic going straight ahead in the left lane. Children sitting on drivers laps or jumping around unrestrained in the vehicle.

Yep the carnage of Thai roads is all the fault of the bloody tourists and expats.

When are they going to accept some responsibility themselves instead of always shifting blame to others.

I thought the statement said foreign drivers, not farang? Could they be talking about drivers from Myanmar, China, Lao or others? Might be time to take the chip off the shoulder for a while.

No chip on my shoulder and I apologise if I upset you. It was my understanding that Farang meant foreigner, that's what my thai wife tells me anyway. Again my apologies if I upset you or another it was definitely not my intention.

• Like 1

I have also heard that if you are involved in a collision then the Thai insurance companies will only accept a Thai driver licence but I will stand corrected.

Have a seat, you are correct!

• Like 1

The last few weeks here in Chiangmai the Chinese on motorcycles, and Chinese driving their own cars make the local drivers look professional.

I've seen Chinese tourist stopping their motorbikes right in the middle of the road to look at their maps. I've seen aggresive speeding and overtaking by cars with Chinese lic. plates.

This new crackdown could be the result of the Chinese invasion of Chiangmai. The Chinese girls are pretty though.

• Like 1

"...but who also get behind the wheel of a vehicle without having the correct documentation, such as an international driving license."

Rental cars do not require international driving licenses ... does anyone know if Thai law does?

Did you seriously just said that rental cars don't require international driving licenses? well actually you are correct... THE CAR DOESN'T but the person DRIVING THE CAR needs one!

Technically any European or American driving license is NOT valid in Thailand, as is vice versa. a Thai driving license DOES NOT work in Europe, unless you have acquired the Thai International Driving license (valid one year)

Well..................

According to the UN Traffic Act of 1949 and the Thai Traffic Act of 1979, an IDP is not required if you are a tourist/visitor in Thailand as long as your license is in English, has a photo, and your country is a contracting state of the 1949 treaty, which most are.

You only need to obtain a Thai licence if you are a resident or stay longer than that.

Now whether the RTP will accept that is another matter, I am sure many of them dont know the laws anyway.

The OP is about Chinese drivers. They're the worlds worst in my opinion. In NZ we call them 'ken-Asians. They stop anywhere, drift all over the show and generally cause mayhem.

We've had to paint large white arrows on the roads on the exits to all tourist spots and laybys to remind the 'ken-Asians (and the 'ken-Amurikans) which side of the road to drive on. All rental vehicles have instructions in multiple languages plastered all over the dashboard reminding them to drive on the left.

Chinese riders/drivers are also a hazard in Pattaya and more noticeable in numbers this year also. They do make the Thais look like UK Metropolitan Police elite drivers by comparison. But, you just have to recognise them for what they are and keep out of their way.

And to all those that seem unable to adapt to driving/riding in Thailand.....It's a bit like swimming in a swimming pool as compared to the middle of the pacific - if you don't change your style, you won't survive. And I'm not saying the Thai way is the right way to drive, but stick to your western principled technique and you will drown, metaphorically speaking.

Cheek.

Then again I suppose it must be difficult for Americans and Europeans to get used to driving on the correct side of the road, I could see many of them getting into trouble, unlike we Brits who are naturally superior drivers due to our advanced testing, and knowledge of how to drive on the right.

I don't know why you guys couldn't just follow our lead. We tell you not to form your own government but nope, and look at you now, government is shut down. We tell you not to start the Euro but nope, you had to go ahead and cause a financial crisis, and now your over here annoying the Thais with your bad driving habits.

Strewth. Maybe we should restart the Empire and sort you lot out. coffee1.gif

I am in somewhat of a quandry because I find myself having to agree with ' the blethered one ' that we Brits are superior drivers, but then reeling in horror as to how long he must have avoided being involved in an accident in Britain ' driving on the right '. We brits may sit in the right side of a car, but we sure-as-heck drive on the LEFT side of the road.....

Cheek.

Then again I suppose it must be difficult for Americans and Europeans to get used to driving on the correct side of the road, I could see many of them getting into trouble, unlike we Brits who are naturally superior drivers due to our advanced testing, and knowledge of how to drive on the right.

I don't know why you guys couldn't just follow our lead. We tell you not to form your own government but nope, and look at you now, government is shut down. We tell you not to start the Euro but nope, you had to go ahead and cause a financial crisis, and now your over here annoying the Thais with your bad driving habits.

Strewth. Maybe we should restart the Empire and sort you lot out. coffee1.gif

I am in somewhat of a quandry because I find myself having to agree with ' the blethered one ' that we Brits are superior drivers, but then reeling in horror as to how long he must have avoided being involved in an accident in Britain ' driving on the right '. We brits may sit in the right side of a car, but we sure-as-heck drive on the LEFT side of the road.....

That could be a little dangerous (driving on left) if theblether is coming towards you on his rightthumbsup.gif

You can rent a car in this country with a divers license; and that's not misspelled!

Rental cars do not require international driving licenses ... does anyone know if Thai law does.?

I've had two long term contracts with Avis. They require a drivers license or in my case an International drivers license.

Actually, Mr Chanchai added a lot of humor to our lives. Every time we were cut off today or had someone zip by at an inordinate speed, we blamed it on a foreign driver and had a good laugh. Then we got serious as it is really not funny when people die on the highway. Perhaps he should find the real reasons for the danger on the highways.

• Like 1

I got my International license on the internet. Scanned them a photo, paid the $40, and Bingo! - I was competent to drive in Thailand, just like the Thais. Requiring an International license will change nothing. Having to take a serious written and driving test may help, but police presence on the highways, and ticketing ALL idiot drivers is the best course. Of course, there's still the corruption issue....

Superior drivers ? I thought you were "superior", full stop ! cheesy.gif

And this SURPRISES ANYONE?????,,, In a country where is COMMON,, in 3 lanes on Sukhumvit, a Thai will turn right, from the LEFT hand lane, (or visa versa),, ACROSS 2 lanes, waiting to make a U turn, where it is CLEARLY MARKED,,,,, NO U TURN!,,, and block at LEAST 2 LANES! WHILE said lanes they are blocking,, have a GREEN LIGHT!!!,,,, OR,,, "You're pregnant?,,, Give to your Mommy, I DON'T KNOW YOU!",,,, they have the, "responsibilty",,, of a 5 YEAR OLD!!!!,,,,

Wow ! First time I ever suffered vertigo while reading someones post ! biggrin.png

That all - proves only one!

There are STILL FAR TOO MANY foreigners who still believe this totally f...(fillitinyourself) is a place to live, work, or just travel too during holiday.

Grow up, all none Thai!

Thailand, with its racist, discriminating, undereducated, fake buddha preaching, rude, impatient, aggressive and arrogant (did I forget anything?) folk is the last place on earth a good man or woman should be, and the emphasis here is on "good"!

Thailand, read my lips ... You will whine like some of your far too many, too, dirty street doge and no onewpwpw

"...but who also get behind the wheel of a vehicle without having the correct documentation, such as an international driving license."

Rental cars do not require international driving licenses ... does anyone know if Thai law does?

Rent 2 or 3 times a year through Fast car Rental in UK using Thai Rent a Car both tell me catagoricaly that if you are using an on arrival tourist visa then you only need your normal licence if you are on any other type visa or even if you have an overstay then you must have an IDL.