Living in Bang Saen(Chonburi Province)

Mangosteen1

Hello and Sawadee Khap Guys.

I'm a guy from Sweden moving to Bang Saen in the end of this year with my gf. She wants to live there and she had a few but strong arguments why we should:

Cheaper living cost then inside BKK. and not so polluted, good geographical location and that we can eat sea food every day haha(To be honest I'm more into barbecue Isaan food. Chicken and the meet that cant be mentioned laud: BEEF!!!)Haha(Since my first day when I tried Isaan-food it became my top favorite food)

What I really want to do is to try some place I havnt experienced before(not Pattaya, Phuket, Samui or BKK) and Bang Saen will do fine rolleyes.gif Ive been there once before as a tourist. Its not the same as living there thats why I started this topic. I want to hear more from you guys. your gfs also dragged you out here?Haha.

So we will all meet at Christmas in that Church opposite that shopping mall(forgot the name)But it was free food the 24th December and a nice atmosphere.

International Christian students from Indonesia and Malaysia, a couple of westerners. and friendly Thai locals. everybody mixed in to a gigantic happy family at Christmas.

Bang Saen got a nice feeling of calmness stretching from the sea into the community. I could feel it. making a fire partying some sleeping at the Beach nobody bothered you. Only Indian nut seller guys, BTW Very friendly and the nut mix with squeezed lime on top was "Aroi Mak".

Whenever you want to check if your heart still really beats, very short distance to BIG Pattaya, BKK and Airport.

I would like to know more about this place. any info about the place. activities, food, fun, gym, muay thai, bars, places to hang, places to hang when your gf is in a bad mood or when you want to let her be alone watching Thai-TV-Serie 10cm from the screen for an eternity, what kind of westerners living there, from which countries, atmosphere. closest visa run, rent houses, apartments(reasonable rate)what the area need. everything and anything?

When I was there I barely saw any westerners. haha except of Thais from BKK in the weekends. OK all Bang Saenis I started this Topic. now for you to fill in.

Lets keep in touch/JJ wai.gif

"Not so polluted," 5555555

Just a few tons of garbage washing up on the beach daily! If you want to go native, they maybe you can survive in bangsean...boring as anywhere else in Los for a farang but at least only 40 minutes from both pattaya and Bangkok. You sound like a newbie so I guess it's all still good to you...so why not BS or Nakorn Nowhere for the gai yaan 5555

Once you have walked along the sea front and seen the monkeys on the Buddha hill and eaten some Thai-style seafood I think you've done the lot in Bang Saen.

Nice enough for a day-trip out from Jomtien but I couldnt live there. It also gets unbelievably crowded on weekends and public holidays (rather like just about everywhere else).

During the week the place is as dead as a dodo.

Farang style bars dont exist.

What kind of visa will you be on?

Where is your girlfriend from?

If she is Thai will she be seeking employment, if not why not?

I go there regularly, too be honest there are better places to go, but you dont tell us what you want.

To me the place means nothing more than, sit on a deck chair and eat sea food then go home.

Life in Bang Saen differs greatly from Pattaya. Only a few foreigners and English is not widely spoken. Some good seafoood restaurants around. Very quiet Monday-Friday but everyone from Bangkok arrives for the weekend. Traffic is terrible. It'd changed greatly in the 10 or so years that I've lived here. Plusses are much better shopping. Minuses are traffic and rising real estate prices. Condos are being built on every empty pice of land

During the week the place is as dead as a dodo.

Farang style bars dont exist.

What kind of visa will you be on?

Where is your girlfriend from?

If she is Thai will she be seeking employment, if not why not?

I go there regularly, too be honest there are better places to go, but you dont tell us what you want.

To me the place means nothing more than, sit on a deck chair and eat sea food then go home.

I will be on a tripple entry Tourist Visa to start with.

My gf is from South Thailand and will seek to work or start business in Bang Sean.

Yeah I know haha, Already done Monkey Hill and The Beach. And I get bored very easy.

I prefer the other beach coast side of BKK. but I'm OK With Bang Saen.

I kind of knew that this topic would be a "shout in the wildness" but If we are a couple of guys in the same Bang Saen dilemma, we could think of something to "overcome boredom"

Thanx for telling my, I guess I will be in Bang Saen and on the weekend´s head to BKK and Pattaya thumbsup.gif

This article in Pattaya News Clippings might be of interest to you.

Ok "Rimmer" let us in on the secret.....which article smile.png

Try clicking on the link, and all will be revealed, Tip, should you not how to find the link try running your mouse pointer across the words smile.png

Hi Yeah I subscribed to that topic. thanx. I was there in January 2013. The water is comparable to Pattaya beach. But the sea view is long and nice.

I couldn't understand why people from BKK flooded here during weekends. perhaps it has been a nice beach once in the past. or its very close to BKK.

If I was from BKK and wanted to go for a swim I would go somewhere else. But The Bang Saen Car Race was really great to see thumbsup.gif

Ok "Rimmer" let us in on the secret.....which article smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

Try clicking on the link, and all will be revealed, Tip, should you not how to find the link try running your mouse pointer across the words smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

Tried all of that initially but nothing happened................I guess I need to go back to the "pet shop"......they have sold me one of the 3 blind micebah.gif

All ok now ........the new mouse found the secret word.................THIS........

Edited by DD13
  • Like 1

Ok "Rimmer" let us in on the secret.....which article smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

Try clicking on the link, and all will be revealed, Tip, should you not how to find the link try running your mouse pointer across the words smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

Tried all of that initially but nothing happened................I guess I need to go back to the "pet shop"......they have sold me one of the 3 blind micebah.gif

All ok now ........the new mouse found the secret word.................THIS........

The Link Article is about (Thai Visa) : insurmountable-trash-washed-up-on-bang-saen-beach-reaching-10-tons-per-day/

Life in Bang Saen differs greatly from Pattaya. Only a few foreigners and English is not widely spoken. Some good seafoood restaurants around. Very quiet Monday-Friday but everyone from Bangkok arrives for the weekend. Traffic is terrible. It'd changed greatly in the 10 or so years that I've lived here. Plusses are much better shopping. Minuses are traffic and rising real estate prices. Condos are being built on every empty pice of land

10 years wow you have seen a lot. better shopping then Pattaya?reasonable prices?yeah real estate prices are at the peak. I know a lot about real estates, Its most likely even getting higher within 3 years when that new Highway from BKK - Rayong is done What are you up to when you get bored in Bang Saen? wai.gif

Just a few tons of garbage washing up on the beach daily! If you want to go native, they maybe you can survive in bangsean...boring as anywhere else in Los for a farang but at least only 40 minutes from both pattaya and Bangkok. You sound like a newbie so I guess it's all still good to you...so why not BS or Nakorn Nowhere for the gai yaan 5555

Yes I will probably go half native or find my own things, joining the fishermen on their trips "fishing up trash" or something smile.png Los? BS? What does gai yaan mean?wai.gif

Yes I will probably go half native or find my own things, joining the fishermen on their trips "fishing up trash" or something smile.png Los? BS? What does gai yaan mean?wai.gif

Newbie as suspected...only such would agree with GF to live in BS...but like I said, it's all new and interesting to you but old and boring to the rest of us.

10 years wow you have seen a lot. better shopping then Pattaya?reasonable prices?yeah real estate prices are at the peak. I know a lot about real estates, Its most likely even getting higher within 3 years when that new Highway from BKK - Rayong is done What are you up to when you get bored in Bang Saen? wai.gif

Wow, OP, not yet arrived, but already busy asking about carry weapons, what to do if bored and some of your comments could make on feel you have been here for years...

My GF lives in Chonburi and I have spent many weeks in the area. Yes, prices are still lower than in Patts, except when you go to Centra Chonburi, there prices are the same as in Central festival Patts. Yes, not many farang living in the area, not many bars and I still have not seen any go-go (maybe my GF steers me around...).

My points: living there, you better learn Thai fast so that you can go out on your own from time to time. Not even in Central, you find staff who speaks enough English to talk with (i.e. opening bank account, odering new glasses or any other stuff like that). You will enjoy the beach during the week (trash is another thing), as it is quiet and I enjoy sitting there and reading books. You better have your own transport, as you won't get anywhere without, specially if you want to leave for visits to Patts or BKK. You will find loads of great places to eat, just tell you GF to take you around. You can find great places to live with decent buy / rent prices, many moo baan like Casaluna or Country Club where you can have your quiet life at reasonable prices.

So depending on what you are looking for and how you are "wired", Chonburi / Bang Saen area can be great or boring.

I know a couple of guys who live there. Never appeals to me as it seems like neither one thing or the other. It has the worst of both worlds, being crowded, dirty, no decent beach and not especially cheap. On the other hand it does have the best of both in being cheaper and less crowded than Bangkok or Pattaya while still being close to the amenities of both.

It would make sense if it was commutable to Bangkok, but if I didn't need to get to work every day I'd live waaaaay out of it all.

Wow, OP, not yet arrived, but already busy asking about carry weapons, what to do if bored and some of your comments could make on feel you have been here for years...

My GF lives in Chonburi and I have spent many weeks in the area. Yes, prices are still lower than in Patts, except when you go to Centra Chonburi, there prices are the same as in Central festival Patts. Yes, not many farang living in the area, not many bars and I still have not seen any go-go (maybe my GF steers me around...).

My points: living there, you better learn Thai fast so that you can go out on your own from time to time. Not even in Central, you find staff who speaks enough English to talk with (i.e. opening bank account, odering new glasses or any other stuff like that). You will enjoy the beach during the week (trash is another thing), as it is quiet and I enjoy sitting there and reading books. You better have your own transport, as you won't get anywhere without, specially if you want to leave for visits to Patts or BKK. You will find loads of great places to eat, just tell you GF to take you around. You can find great places to live with decent buy / rent prices, many moo baan like Casaluna or Country Club where you can have your quiet life at reasonable prices.

So depending on what you are looking for and how you are "wired", Chonburi / Bang Saen area can be great or boring.

Just because I havnt arrived yet doesn't mean I havnt spent years in Thailand. Ive lived there before and visited long periods every time.

I'm just asking cuz I easily get bored and especially if I expect something and its totally opposite. sometimes interesting places to be does not have signs, and if youre not well informed you can live in a place and have great activities: Fishing shrimps in those pools after you bring it home or they cook it for you) spending months without knowing it existed. Yeah I know I appreciate it guys. This time I come I have no plan to go back to Europe in a near future "things I need to know, Good to have it all in my head as soon as I step on that Airplane" wink.png

As someone who has worked there I can say that you can, on average, get better deals on accommodation in Jomtien.

It is a nice university town, but probably best for Thai uni students.

The western food there is horrible. The best you can hope for is Laengtom Shopping Mall where there are some

Japanese chains.

On the other hand, neighboring Siracha is not too far and has some better choices in this department.

Somebody mentioned Galaxy Entertainment Complex . it is not farang friendly.

Edited by BugJackBaron

Go for it, mate. You're only renting so if you get bored out of your mind you can pull up sticks and try somewhere else. There used to be a place towards the end of the bay that had a monkeys bringing beers to the table. Never gets old.

• Like 1

The Thai daytrippers on weekends will drive you nuts

Hence the reason we only visit during week days.

I couldnt imagine living there full time, boring, it would do my head in.

If the OP thinks he has found some sort of hidden gem or utopia he is badly mistaken, about the only thing BS has going for it is cheap rents.

As noted above, the traffic is terrible.

Hi Yeah I subscribed to that topic. thanx. I was there in January 2013. The water is comparable to Pattaya beach. But the sea view is long and nice.

I couldn't understand why people from BKK flooded here during weekends. perhaps it has been a nice beach once in the past. or its very close to BKK.

If I was from BKK and wanted to go for a swim I would go somewhere else. But The Bang Saen Car Race was really great to see thumbsup.gif

Before the motorways and good road, Bang Saen is the limit of where you can drive out of Bangkok and back in a day, now Pattaya and beyond is within reach too, but Bang Saen is still the 'go to' place for a days out.

You start seeing the same crowds from Bang Saen in Jomtien now too, bunch of kids parking their Songtaew Baht Bus with massive sound system(Like the ones that turns up during Songkran) that they chartered from Bangkok, running to the nearest 7-11 for more Leos, and the road being much narrower in Jomtien, the chaos is far worse.

The Thai daytrippers on weekends will drive you nuts

Hence the reason we only visit during week days.

I couldnt imagine living there full time, boring, it would do my head in.

If the OP thinks he has found some sort of hidden gem or utopia he is badly mistaken, about the only thing BS has going for it is cheap rents.

As noted above, the traffic is terrible.

think you're right. I will work too during my spare time I will know what to do. what does OP stand for?

My list of more stuff is about 5 years old but I think its still the same.

The best zoo I have been to is just up the road(Shrichi Zoo sp). Take a motorbike and ride around the park like zoo.

The Island off (Shrichi sp) can rent a motobike and explore.

If your a golf nut there are many golf courses.

Burapha Univ has a great book store and library. Lots of English mags and books. You might have to get creative to get a libuary card.

Every province has a Bhudist Temple that has parable displays outside, park like. Its located in obscure location. Take your camera.

There is an ultra lite flying club in the neighborhood.

Learn the songtaw routes and get ready for the dogs to chase your arss.

There are some open air falang beer drinking areas that you can find. Just cruse around different times till you find them.

Burapha Univ offers a Silver Tour Guide Card your gal can earn. TOT for info. You can help with her study and get a library card.

You can find some good local taxi for trips to airport etc. Ask the locals.

Edited by threelegcowboy
  • Like 1

My list of more stuff is about 5 years old but I think its still the same.

The best zoo I have been to is just up the road(Shrichi Zoo sp). Take a motorbike and ride around the park like zoo.

The Island off (Shrichi sp) can rent a motobike and explore.

If your a golf nut there are many golf courses.

Burapha Univ has a great book store and library. Lots of English mags and books. You might have to get creative to get a libuary card.

Every province has a Bhudist Temple that has parable displays outside, park like. Its located in obscure location. Take your camera.

There is an ultra lite flying club in the neighborhood.

Learn the songtaw routes and get ready for the dogs to chase your arss.

There are some open air falang beer drinking areas that you can find. Just cruse around different times till you find them.

Burapha Univ offers a Silver Tour Guide Card your gal can earn. TOT for info. You can help with her study and get a library card.

You can find some good local taxi for trips to airport etc. Ask the locals.

Burapha bookstore is great - if you want to brush up on your calculus or sociology.. You won't find the latest best-seller there or even The Bangkok Post.. I think there is a small Aisa books in Laem Tong shopping mall though. Keep in mind that at night there are no song taews and even motorbike-taxis are hard to find so you will need at least a bicycle to get around,

For a day trip it is OK but I think that neighboring SiraCha would be much more livable.

• Like 1