Full capacity reservoir but no bites, no krasoob.

jack2964

I've been out often to my local reservoir which brimmed few days back.

I used to be fairly successful each outing decking 1 or 2 krasoob (hampala barb/jungle perch)

from 3 or 4 hours of casting from a boat.

But over the last couple of weeks every outing has been disappointing-zero bites!

Could it be because water levels have gone up dramatically and the few fish have spread even thinner?

Meanwhile the number of gill nets and netters have gone up substantially too. And they are catching lots of fish

as evidenced in the local village market.

Would like your views from fellow krasoob chasers. Thanks.

Typically when water levels rise the fish tend to disperse to wider area, so catching them is more difficult. Anyway it's good for their survival as they move away from nets, hopefully.

The problem of gill nets arises any where there is a body of water, including in klongs that I saw. Sad.

Typically when water levels rise the fish tend to disperse to wider area, so catching them is more difficult. Anyway it's good for their survival as they move away from nets, hopefully.

The problem of gill nets arises any where there is a body of water, including in klongs that I saw. Sad.

Makes sense. The netters aren't silly too, they cordon off the flooded plains formed by the high waters.

And trying to fish the same spots result in lures being snagged by the nets.

But persist I shall. Thanks.

It can have effects on thermoclines (water temps at depths) and saturation of oxygen (lower dead zone) in the water as well. The prey may well be deeper than normal as well as being more dispersed. If there's a greater abundance of prey thanks to a greater inflow of nutrients the predators can also be full.