Non Imm O Multi Refused at KL

Just thought I'd update this post with some info. I just got back from KL and was granted a one year non O multi entry based on marriage. For those not wanting to troll through this whole thread; the original poster was only issued a single entry even though he had all the required documentation.

I went to KL with all the required documentation and a bank account with 400,00 baht in a Thai bank. I also showed a bank account I use on a day to day basis which has a monthly deposit of 120,000 baht, but slowly dwindles down until the next check arrives. In the past they have never looked at this day to day account and have always just given me back the info; this time they kept the account details. Also, as the original poster stated they give all the info to a Thai man in the back and approx 1/2 hour later you get called back to the counter to receive your receipt. I think they are now checking whether all the info is valid--bear in mind this is only my opinion. In the past the lady at the front counter checked through all the info and made sure all was correct.

I was issued a multi entry with no problems, although the lady at the counter did question why I wanted a multi entry. I explained that I still worked and needed to leave/return to Thailand every 5 weeks. A few years back a friend of mine getting the same visa didn't have the letter from his wife asking for them to grant her husband the visa; he got lucky and they asked him to fax it to them when he got home instead of refusing the visa because he didn't have it. I always take more documents than needed because as stated on another forum; it's a long/expensive way to go if you're missing some piece of documentation they want.

I'm not sure why the original poster wasn't issued a multi instead of a single entry.

Forgot to mention that they also asked for my original marriage certificate instead of just a copy, which they never did before; luckily I had it with me.

Greetings OP.

To confirm your story, I have just had the same thing happen to me in KL 16th December. I have been applying there for the last 6 years and have always had a multi entry non imm 'O' visa granted no problem. Married to a Thai for 10 years and presented bank statements with over US$ 50k in. Could not believe it. It seems they are tightening up but no mention of this change by Thai Immigration anywhere, so seems quite an arbitrary decision on their part. If not clearly stated and brought into law then it isn't law and borders on a human rights issue, for those of us that have families. For me, and a lot of others, this type of visa is best. We work outside the country for periods of time and can come and go as required. A retirement visa is inappropriate as (1) we are not retired, and (2) we have to leave and enter the country on short notice and cannot be around to check in with immigration every 3 months.

I might be paranoid but it could be that they powers that (currently) be are making it hard for us, possible because we are really not wanted here. Why this would be, when there must be well over 200,000 of us helping the economy. There must be another reason.

Apparently the Consulate in Savannakhet, Laos does still issue them (at least I read a report from yesterday 18th Dec, but I have a feeling the same thing will happen there in the near future. I have heard though, that if you have the 3 month single entry visa you can extend it to a one year multi once inside Thailand before it expires. I'm not sure if this is true, but if so, it could be the route we will all have to go down in future (i.e. get a single entry outside Thailand and convert once back here). Perhaps the issue will revery to how it was if and when Thailand has a change of government. Any other experiences would be most welcome. There has to be a way around this.

For an extension based upon marriage it is always 60 days not 90. For retirement it is 60 days for the first extension and 90 thereafter.

This is not everywhere the case.

Phuket immigration uses 60 days for the first time extension and 90 days thereafter, regardless of visa type.

Always check with your local immigration before applying for the extension.

Just not want to start new topic, so please advice me here. Please excuse me if questions was answered before, just to be up to date...

We just married yesterday and in the beginning of January come together with wife to KL, honeymoon and to obtain VISA also. I need only Single Entry, because will extend it later @ CW Immigration

So far, I prepare documents -

My documents:

Passport.

Bank book with 400k deposited in September this year and updated monthly (fixed 9 month deposit).

Original Marriage Certificate

Original House Registration (Yellow Book, my own condominium unit)

Original letter from Language School where I study now (not sure I need this or not in case of just showing what I do now in Kingdom)

Copies of all documents

Wife Documents:

Wife Thai ID (Bat Prachachon)

Copy of Wife's ID

Copy of Wife's House registration

The question is: Should be Wife ID copy be certified or not, and where to certify copy if this req?

Regards, Meow

There are also many that give their reason for getting a visa instead of an extension is because they don't want to deal with immigration. This is bogus reason to me. I just completed my 6th extension based upon marriage and believe that it is not a problem at all.

I have to agree with ubonjoe on this one.

I also have just completed my 6th extension based on marriage and have never had a problem. I try to be as prepared as possible and go with the assumption that there will always be something else that needs to be photocopied...in this regard I have yet to be disappointed laugh.png

The frustrating part to me is that every time is like the first time...they have all of that crap in the 10 kg/6" thick file folder, and every year more gets added. I hold out some small degree of hope that perhaps someday my history of extensions based on marriage will have a positive impact on my status...we shall see.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
Many now require financial proof to get multiple entries. Especially the embassies and official consulates like Sydney. Next time check with one of the honorary consulates such as Brisbane.

Sydney don´t ask me for financial proof in January 2014. Easy to got visa with this papers:

marriage certificate

birth certificate thai child (25yrs old)

Copy ID-Card from wife

Copy ID-Card from son

Copy House-paper

Passport

no bankbook or others

Sorry for maybe a dumb question, but why would anyone want a multi-entry visa if you can easily get single-entry visa + multi re-entry permit and forget about border-run nightmare altogether?

Edited by andreww

Sorry for maybe a dumb question, but why would anyone want a multi-entry visa if you can easily get single-entry visa + multi re-entry permit and forget about border-run nightmare altogether?

A re-entry permit works with an extension of stay. Maybe those who can't get an extension within the 90 days because they don't have 400,000 in the bank or couldn't secure a job.

It remains to see what will happen at the border when someone on a multiple entry enters for the second (and third) time.

Despite assertions to the contrary over the years, I've always considered KL and Singapore to be poor options for a visa run - Penang has been (at least to this point) a no-brainer. Reports of the Singapore Consulate continuing to insist on the old 'No more than 90 days in any 6-month period' edict only confirms that they are living in a time warp. I was also never a fan of the lineup at that Consulate - seemed like half the Phillipines decided Singapore was their best shot at a Tourist Visa.

A re-entry permit only allows return for the same permitted to stay you had prior to travel - it adds nothing so your allowed stay. Believe you are really asking why not extend at immigration yearly (and then use re-entry permits). For those working timing may not allow as for marriage extension you must be here about 30 days later to get approval stamp.

I got the part about timing (which can be equally true for multiple-entry visa), but this sentence puzzled me:

A re-entry permit only allows return for the same permitted to stay you had prior to travel - it adds nothing so your allowed stay.

care to paraphrase? Looks like an ultimate answer to my question, but I can't comprehend it.

I got the part about timing (which can be equally true for multiple-entry visa), but this sentence puzzled me:

A re-entry permit only allows return for the same permitted to stay you had prior to travel - it adds nothing so your allowed stay.

care to paraphrase? Looks like an ultimate answer to my question, but I can't comprehend it.

Every time you enter the country you get a permit to stay date. If you entered with a non-o visa you would get a permit to stay date 90 days from when you enter. You could get a re-entry permit that that would give you the remainder of that permit to stay when you it to enter the country.

Also if you got a one year extension of your permit to stay a re-entry permit would give you the same permit to stay that the extension gave you,.

• 1 year later...

I just received my visa back from Canberra. I applied for a non O MULTI and I completed all due papper work for Thai Spouse visit. For information I am Married for 10 years and over 50 years.

I sent AUD$225. What I received was a non O SINGLE and cash change of AUD$135 and no explaination.

It appears to me as mentioned previous in this thread that embassies are no longer due to a policy change issuing multi non O any more.

I wonder why !! ??

If I only knew this I would not of bothered and only applied for a double tourist entry. As this would of suited my travel plans better.

As on this trip I will only stay 60 days. So having 3 months with a possible 2 months exstension is totaly wasted.

PS The moderator may want to start a Canberra thread with this.

I was in Canberra in 2014 with my wife and 3 kids and had all the documents required for a non imm O visa, i was flatly refused a multi entry as soon as we walked in the door. The also said nowhere else was doing a multi entry in Australia either. I went outside (partly fuming, lol) and called Melbourne (as we were heading that way) and they said yes, no problem at all for a multi entry, lol. Dropped it off one morning picked it up the next afternoon, smiles all around.

Canberra a total waste of time IMO.

Sadly Brisbane is no longer an option either (this was always my favourite option), and friendliest. The consul general is no longer operating there until further notice.