how long before expiry can retirement visa be renewed?

I have a relative who's retirement visa expires on December 1. Usually she goes for her renewal a few days before but this time she wants to do it as early as possible as she wants to use part of the 800,000 bank deposit for a payment. How long before can she go to renew it?

The OP is obviously talking about a serial retirement extension situation. Yes, 30 days early has been the national standard. There is no reason to wait until the last few days as no days are lost on the new extension, they always start from the date of the current expiry date. Cheers.

Officer at Jomtien by today:

Max. 30 days before of expiration date of the extension of stay.

Yes that's been the policy there for a long time (previously they were more liberal than that). Some people thought the Bangkok change to allowing 45 days early would be a nationwide enforcement change (from 30) but so far, apparently not. Oh well ...

I would suggest a short trip out of the country without a re-entry visa. It happened to myself, I wanted to take my wife on an aeroplane for her first time so I got two tickets to Penang. While I was queuing up at the passport check-in it suddenly dawned on me that i had forgotten to get a re-entry permit. We dashed all around the airport to sort it out but didn't have enough time and would miss the flight. The airport officials told me I would lose my year visa if I went ahead on the flight and could only re-enter Thailand on a tourist Visa ( or maybe it could be sorted out in Penang) and would have to make a new application for my retirement visa when i got back to Thailand. Because my wife was looking forward so much to her first flight I couldn't let her down and went on the flight. Penang couldn't do anything to help so I came on back, got my 30 day visa and re-applied for my retirement visa. To my surprise it all went very simply. Luckily i suppose I already had the 800,000 Baht in the bank for about 8 months I thought my past record may not have been taken into account and it might be a long process. When I got my new visa I lost not a day....it was a visa for a year ...plus...the 4 months that was remaining on the previous visa...16 months in all. As the OP will have had the money in the allocated time in the bank already I cannot see why they could not do the same as I did...even though i did it accidentally. GB and good luck anyway.

Normal is up to 30 days early. Bangkok is now saying 45 days.

May be up to the local Immigration office, at Koh Samui one week only.

Edit: Just checked a couple of weeks ago, as I read the post at TV about 45 days now in BKK instead of 30 days.

Edited by khunPer

I would suggest a short trip out of the country without a re-entry visa. It happened to myself, I wanted to take my wife on an aeroplane for her first time so I got two tickets to Penang. While I was queuing up at the passport check-in it suddenly dawned on me that i had forgotten to get a re-entry permit. We dashed all around the airport to sort it out but didn't have enough time and would miss the flight. The airport officials told me I would lose my year visa if I went ahead on the flight and could only re-enter Thailand on a tourist Visa ( or maybe it could be sorted out in Penang) and would have to make a new application for my retirement visa when i got back to Thailand. Because my wife was looking forward so much to her first flight I couldn't let her down and went on the flight. Penang couldn't do anything to help so I came on back, got my 30 day visa and re-applied for my retirement visa. To my surprise it all went very simply. Luckily i suppose I already had the 800,000 Baht in the bank for about 8 months I thought my past record may not have been taken into account and it might be a long process. When I got my new visa I lost not a day....it was a visa for a year ...plus...the 4 months that was remaining on the previous visa...16 months in all. As the OP will have had the money in the allocated time in the bank already I cannot see why they could not do the same as I did...even though i did it accidentally. GB and good luck anyway.

Having had a retirement /extension of stay for 8 years it has always been my understanding that you cannot get a retirement visa on a tourist/30 day visa it has to be at least a 90 day visa issued by a Thai consulate outside of Thailand !!!!!!!

Having had a retirement /extension of stay for 8 years it has always been my understanding that you cannot get a retirement visa on a tourist/30 day visa it has to be at least a 90 day visa issued by a Thai consulate outside of Thailand !!!!!!!

I think you're misinformed. At many Thai immigration offices those qualified for retirement extension can do a CHANGE OF VISA STATUS from a 30 day stamp or tourist visa to an O visa in Thailand, and then that is the first step, with the second step being the application for annual extensions based on retirement. If you're talking about O-A visas, they of course are available only in your home country. Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

You obtain retirement extensions of stay from immigration - but to obtain that you need a non immigrant visa entry - which can be obtained from visa exempt or tourist visa entry at a fee of 2,000 baht for a 90 day stay if you have proof of meeting the financials and 15 days remaining on current entry.

Normal is up to 30 days early. Bangkok is now saying 45 days.

Philip from Thaivisarun did my 12 months extension over 90 days before the expiry date last time.

That is interesting !

I was always under the impression that extensions had to be applied for in person.

And "Philip" obtained a new extension a full 9o days in advance ?

Are you sure where the "extension" came from ?

As a matter of interest how much does this service cost in excess of 1900Bht ?

• 5 years later...
On 10/11/2013 at 4:58 PM, Sceptict11 said:

That is interesting !

I was always under the impression that extensions had to be applied for in person.

And "Philip" obtained a new extension a full 9o days in advance ?

Are you sure where the "extension" came from ?

As a matter of interest how much does this service cost in excess of 1900Bht ?

Is it possible to renew 90 days before expiry?