Beware helmet thieves at Big C

chris2004

Yep, friend of mine had her helmet stolen there. A few years ago I had an old one stolen at Tesco Lotus. Can't imagine why they wanted it.

Locking via the helmet strap is pretty useless.

There's a whole thread about helmet thefts over in the Motorcycle forum if you search.

Sorry to hear that. Lesson learned. Just take the helmet with you and leave it at the counter. You'll be saving it and avoid the risk of getting it wet in the rain or just put it in a bag.

I've lost my first one the day after I bought the motorbike and the helmet. I locked it under the seat and when I came back, I was left with the metal ring and a badly scratched motorbike. Got another one and used it until it got so old, stinky and worn out. It even had bird poop that time when it got stolen too.

I kept the rings that attaches to the hook in the bike as a bitter reminder.

Sorry to hear that. Lesson learned. Just take the helmet with you and leave it at the counter. You'll be saving it and avoid the risk of getting it wet in the rain or just put it in a bag.

I've lost my first one the day after I bought the motorbike and the helmet. I locked it under the seat and when I came back, I was left with the metal ring and a badly scratched motorbike. Got another one and used it until it got so old, stinky and worn out. It even had bird poop that time when it got stolen too.

I kept the rings that attaches to the hook in the bike as a bitter reminder.

A while back, maybe a couple of years??, my friend took me to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital on his motorbike and while we were there his helmet was stolen. They had rather lackadaisical security. In fact when we tried to report it to the security people in the parking lot, they couldn't even be found.

So I wrote a fairly heated comment to the hospital about the poor security and, not long after that there was a big improvement. Not saying my single email did all that, but if a number of people complain, it's always possible some steps will be taken to make things more secure ... eventually.

Now we travel to the hospital by car and the parking lot always seems too crowded so we end up in that multi-story parking building, which appears to have no security at all. Actually I'm rather surprised that more helmets aren't stolen considering how many places I've seen bike parked with the helmets just resting in the front basket or even fallen to the ground alongside the bike.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

I too had a stinky old helmet stolen at Big C south. What on earth are they going to do without. I see free helmets at police tables and bike shops. Why steal old, stinky helmets, I don't think they ever plan on wearing them. Like how often do you see a Thai wear a helmet? They usually keep them in the basket up front and put on quickly when they spot the police.

• Like 2

Last year I foolishly thought that it was the "done thing" to leave my "relatively expensive" helmet on the bike mirror at Big C central..............

Got back to the bike ......helmet gone........I spoke to the people overseeing the m/bikes.......they just laughed...

I wouldn't be surprised if those lads (now replaced) were connected......

The management were disinterested and pointed to a sign saying they accepted no responsibility

Lesson learned......I now take mine with me.........wherever I go

Chain (250 baht) through front wheel and full face helmet . No problems so far.

Where do You drill the Hole to put the Chain Through. Well , someone had to Ask. ?.biggrin.png

From the left to right just were the ears are-acts like a cooling fan when riding bike also clap2.gif

I disagree. I've never had a helmet cut from a strap lock, but I've had a few stolen which were sitting on the mirror. There are usually more than enough helmets sitting around loose for thieves to have to bother cutting them loose and damaging them in the process.

I too had a stinky old helmet stolen at Big C south. What on earth are they going to do without. I see free helmets at police tables and bike shops. Why steal old, stinky helmets, I don't think they ever plan on wearing them. Like how often do you see a Thai wear a helmet? They usually keep them in the basket up front and put on quickly when they spot the police.

The reason is simple. They probably needed a helmet to get them past a police check point - then they just throw it away. A no-helmet ticket is 400 baht plus time wasted going to the cop shop and the cost of transport getting there....so even your old stinky helmet can serve a very useful purpose. Maybe someone stole their helmet so they needed another one to get them home.

The reason is simple. They probably needed a helmet to get them past a police check point - then they just throw it away. A no-helmet ticket is 400 baht plus time wasted going to the cop shop and the cost of transport getting there....so even your old stinky helmet can serve a very useful purpose. Maybe someone stole their helmet so they needed another one to get them home.

Hey, maybe a helmet for rent shop would be good business.

Something like 50 Baht for 30 minutes biggrin.png

I disagree. I've never had a helmet cut from a strap lock, but I've had a few stolen which were sitting on the mirror. There are usually more than enough helmets sitting around loose for thieves to have to bother cutting them loose and damaging them in the process.

Unfortunately you hadn't so informed the thieves who stole the OP's helmet. They then somehow managed to miss all the loose helmets around in the Big C parking lot.

On the motorcycle forum there are enough other testimonials to make it clear that locking the helmet via the strap is hardly a guarantee. Less risk, perhaps. Maybe it also partly depends on the quality of the helmet.

I suggest you spread the word to all Pattaya's helmet thieves so that they'll be sure to know. I can then confidently lock my helmet by the strap rather than carry it inside.

Unfortunately you hadn't so informed the thieves who stole the OP's helmet. They then somehow managed to miss all the loose helmets around in the Big C parking lot.

On the motorcycle forum there are enough other testimonials to make it clear that locking the helmet via the strap is hardly a guarantee. Less risk, perhaps. Maybe it also partly depends on the quality of the helmet.

I suggest you spread the word to all Pattaya's helmet thieves so that they'll be sure to know. I can then confidently lock my helmet by the strap rather than carry it inside.

In your excitement over having another debate you missed the point smile.png ...you stated that the helmet lock is "pretty useless". I disagreed with that but made no mention of a guarantee. Let's make this clear for you - they are not useless, but they are no guarantee.

I'll take my chances with 1 or 2 helmets strapped under the seat. 8 years and never had one stolen - that's pretty good odds. The thieves don't need my help or suggestions - they'll go for loose ones before bothering to cut tethered ones.

I would not strap an expensive helmet under the seat. I thought that would go without saying, but here I am saying it.biggrin.png

Edited by tropo

Chain (250 baht) through front wheel and full face helmet . No problems so far.

Where do You drill the Hole to put the Chain Through. Well , someone had to Ask. ?.biggrin.png

I'm no expert, but i reckon that rather than drilling holes in the helmet for the chain to go through, you use that big hole at the front that allows you to see. Like I said, I'm no expert, just saying....

Don't assume that the thieves are Thai. The only case I heard of here was a falang in the condo. He was punished when the wrong guy caught him.

In your excitement over having another debate you missed the point smile.png ...you stated that the helmet lock is "pretty useless". I disagreed with that but made no mention of a guarantee. Let's make this clear for you - they are not useless, but they are no guarantee.

I'll take my chances with 1 or 2 helmets strapped under the seat. 8 years and never had one stolen - that's pretty good odds. The thieves don't need my help or suggestions - they'll go for loose ones before bothering to cut tethered ones.

I would not strap an expensive helmet under the seat. I thought that would go without saying, but here I am saying it.biggrin.png

Glad you clarified that your position pretty much agrees with mine after all.

I'll continue guarding my nice helmet then. Farangs tend to own the more expensive helmets and hence a strap lock is pretty useless for protecting them against theft (or indeed any helmet, but, as you so astutely observe, why cut the strap on cheap helmet when there are so many sitting around for the taking). I can quality that if you like to "against theft if a thief wants to steal it," which I also thought would go without saying. :)

I disagree, my helmet was fastened to the hook under the seat. That is exactly what the <deleted> thief did to my helmet. He cut the strap and scratched the side of the bike.

I can quality that if you like to "against theft if a thief wants to steal it," which I also thought would go without saying. smile.png

LOL. I don't even know what you're saying here.

Ah, well, lemme spell it out for ya. Your point seems to be that the helmet locks are not useless because thieves don't want to steal locked helmets, preferring the low-hanging fruit. It's actually a change of subject from the inherent security of the strap/lock system itself to thief preferences.

My point is and was that they are pretty useless--not entirely useless--in those cases, obviously, where thieves don't prefer the low-hanging fruit--as enough of them don't to make a strap-locked helmet vulnerable to theft as well. That is, when they want to steal your strap-locked helmet for whatever reason, probably because it's a much nicer helmet. I think our forum members are far more concerned about such thefts in particular, not those of B100 plastic pots, which concern I was addressing. Proportionately, as you know, the farangs tend to have the better helmets.

Many newbies, such as the OP, believe helmet thieves won't cut the straps and that therefore their helmets are secure. But no.

I disagree, my helmet was fastened to the hook under the seat. That is exactly what the <deleted> thief did to my helmet. He cut the strap and scratched the side of the bike.

The disagreement was that under helmet hooks are not useless. That's was it. There's no guarantee. Don't put an expensive helmet on the hook.

Had 3 helmets stolen from Big C Extra when we first moved here. Learned that lesson quick. We never bought those expensive helmets again. We don't even bother locking our helmets anymore as they always know a way to get them off.

If you really wanna secure your helmet--take it inside with you. You'll notice this practice is more common these days.

• Like 1