Beware helmet thieves at Big C

chris2004

Proportionately, as you know, the farangs tend to have the better helmets.

I don't know this. I also don't believe it is true.

Good for you. But let's make sure you understand proportionately. You take the number of farangs with better helmets and divide by the total population of farangs. Do the same for Thais. Multiply both numbers by 100. See which number is larger. I say the farang percentage will be larger. But I don't care in the slightest if you don't believe it, of course.

A proxy measure, suggestive only, would be to compare respective proportions of Givi box owners. Looks to me that the farang owner proportion is dramatically larger--and the reason isn't to protect a B100 plastic pot of the sort most Thais wear.

Now, there may be similar complaints on Thai forums; I kinda doubt it, but I'm not going on any to check. Ultimately, the principle is exactly the same for both farangs and Thais: locking your helmet strap is pretty useless if a thief wants to steal your helmet. Or, conversely, it's useful if a thief prefers to steal a helmet sitting on a mirror, a point for which we thank you.

smile.png

Edited by JSixpack

Good for you. But let's make sure you understand proportionately. You take the number of farangs with better helmets and divide by the total population of farangs. Do the same for Thais. Multiply both numbers by 100. See which number is larger. I say the farang percentage will be larger. But I don't care in the slightest if you don't believe it, of course.

A proxy measure, suggestive only, would be to compare respective proportions of Givi box owners. Looks to me that the farang owner proportion is dramatically larger--and the reason isn't to protect a B100 plastic pot of the sort most Thais wear.

Now, there may be similar complaints on Thai forums; I kinda doubt it, but I'm not going on any to check. Ultimately, the principle is exactly the same for both farangs and Thais: locking your helmet strap is pretty useless if a thief wants to steal your helmet. Or, conversely, it's useful if a thief prefers to steal a helmet sitting on a mirror, a point for which we thank you.

smile.png

LOL. You seriously have too much time on your hands.

I just knew I was going to get a lesson on proportionality... even if it was a day late. Thanks for taking the time to explain it. smile.png

• Like 1

smile.png

LOL. You seriously have too much time on your hands.

I just knew I was going to get a lesson on proportionality... even if it was a day late. Thanks for taking the time to explain it. smile.png

You're welcome. Always fun sparring w/ you.

ive had two helmets stolen from big c central.

Full face Index stolen at Big C South (cut the strap) 3/4 helmet stolen at the Dutch bar on Nernplubwan. I was maybe 20 feet away, but with my back to the bike.

So much for low crime...

You can buy them back at Theprasit market.

Thats exactly right.

When my 700 baht Index helmet was stolen, I remarked to a friend "Why steal a 700 baht helmet?"

Friend "Thief gets 100 baht at the market, the market vendor sells helmet for 200 baht, makes 100 baht profit and Big C sells another new helmet"

Good business :)

I started securing my full face helmet with a chain looped through the open part (of the helmet) and around the frame.

Worked great- until they stole the bike...