Whirlwind Tour Of Issan

fanciman

OK,

Starting from Bangkok, and with about a week, what would be the best way to see Issan?

Bus from BKK to..., and then rent a motorbike, and then..., don't miss the..., check out the vegetarian food in...., and a good place to meet.... is.... :o

On my list, i would like to include Khon Kaen, and Udon Thani.

If there are any singing contests, or special cultural events over the next week or so, i hope you will let me know :D

Thank you

Issan, here i come!! :D

Phimai ruins about 30 mins past Khorat on the road to Khon Kaen and Ban Prasart Archaelogical site about 5-10 minutes on the left hand side of the road before the Phimai turn off (small sign only - 3000 year old skeletons can be seen still in their burial site).

My opinion for what it is worth is that one week is not enough time to see what Issan has to offer. When you throw using local transportation into the mix, it is impossible. I haven't ever seen a motorcycle rental store in Issan!

If I were you, I would consider going to a specific city and see what it has to offer! Just Korat alone is a weeks trip, the same for Buriram/Surin.

Consider taking the train when possible. The third Class cars are uncomfortable, but you get to meet the greatest people and expeience some country living with incredible scenery.

I lived in Buriram for a year prior to relocating to Chiangmai, and I barely scratched the surface of that province alone. I would be driving down a road that I had been down many times before and notice some ruins which hade been there hundreds of years and it took me umteen numbers of trips before I noticed them.

Again, break your discovery of Issan into smaller pieces if you really want to see it!