Farang guy got beaten up for not paying Tuk Tuk fare

upinthesky

Once I argued with tuk-tuk driver for 1 hour over 5 baht. I then went and got a burger at the airport for 400 baht, flew to see my thai gf and realized she kicked me out of my house, got into an accident on my motobike, and then got kicked by an elephant and bitten by a "sleeping" tiger.

karma.

Dear tourists, definition of "fool" is universal.

Do to others as you would like them to do to you. Luke 6:31

• Like 1

You know, for years I planned on retiring in Thailand, I am presently living in China, but after continuing to read countless reports of violence towards foreigners, I have changed my mind. I would rather live some place that if I have to fight, it's at least one on one, and the general feeling I get from this forum, is that Thais hate foreigners.

I am looking at retiring in Panama instead. Thailand sounds like a dangerous place to live.

I really do not know Panama and therefore can't comment on your intentions. However, it is absolutely untrue to say that Thais hate foreigners. I, as a foreigner, have been living in Thailand for quite a few years now and have NEVER had even the slightest sign of hatred, or despise by Thais towards me. Of course, in the bazaars, or some smaller shops they will try and overcharge you if you are non-Thai and they think you are a tourist, but that is as far as it goes. There are, of course, exceptions - quarrels even killings, thefts, burglaries, motor accidents and the like. But, can you tell me where in the world this is not the case. Is Europe, the Us, Australia etc, free of such incidents??

By the way, if it were that bad in Thailand, why are there so many non-Thais here? Only in Chiang Mai province there are around 40,000 "Farangs" ( Europeans) and quite a few are not married to Thais, quite a few work here and some other (I assume the majority), are retirees, who really seem to enjoy it here. I have quite a few friends in this group and I can vouch for what i am saying.

• Like 1

You know, for years I planned on retiring in Thailand, I am presently living in China, but after continuing to read countless reports of violence towards foreigners, I have changed my mind. I would rather live some place that if I have to fight, it's at least one on one, and the general feeling I get from this forum, is that Thais hate foreigners.

I am looking at retiring in Panama instead. Thailand sounds like a dangerous place to live.

The dangerous places for foreigners to live in Thailand are primarily the sex-tourism areas

and the four southern provinces where an insurgency has been in progress for years. I live

in Chiang Mai and I feel safer here than most places I ever lived in my home country.

Every country has dangerous places. Most areas of Thailand are very safe... and friendly.

Yes, the sex tourism places are very dangerous, one might die from having too much fun, as oppose to killing oneself through alcohol from boredom living in the remote village or a junglethumbsup.gif

Edited by lemoncake
  • Like 1

I find the idea of Central America being safer than Thailand to be pretty funny. Even Costa Rica. It is another level and in the countryside every male over 15 or so has a machete and they aren't scared to use it. I never had any problems, but I did hear plenty of first hand accounts. I am not saying Central America wouldn't be a nice place to live, but I wouldn't move there for safety, haha.

Yeah, they're pussies, never fight fair. always 5-8 to one at least. Look at them they're so frail like girls they could barely defend themselves otherwise.

Why don't you go and challenge some to a boxing or Thai boxing match? Then you can see just how frail they are.

A wise American friend from New York once told me "there's no such thing as a fair fight". What do you expect Queensbury rules ?

are all Thais boxers then ?

• Like 1

Ya need to negociate with the tuk tuk driver ahead of time.And then pay him that amount.I never have A problem.

What a load of nonsense. In order to get beat up for not paying a tuck tuck you need a tuck tuck.

typical Thai Basher. If you get beat up it will not be by passerby's.

I hope you know more about tying your shoes than you do the video.

Funny I live here and I am getting the feeling that many foreigners hate Thais,

Did you see a tuk tuk in this yet the headline says he was beat up for not paying one. The poster him self said could any one explain this.

And yet look at the responses. If you are that naive don't come On the other hand you will fit right in with a certain part of the farong population gullable and willing to believe the worst in people. Mostly people unwanted where they come from and try to take it out on Thais because Thais are more kindly to them than the people back home who really know them.

• Like 1

Sure, Panama has a nice canal.

But I have been living in Bangkok and Pattaya for the last 30 years and have never experienced violence or other crime against myself. Then again, I tend to stay out of trouble.

Edited by sniffdog

You have deal with tuktuk drivers the price before the journey, not after. If it seems you too much just walk away and go to the next one. Mostly that works and they offer you a better price. But note also that in some cities, e.g. in Nong Khai, there are fixed prices for tuktuk drives over the city area, published in various places, such as bus station, etc. I never had any problem in Thailand with tuktuk drivers, and I am sure, I used them already several hundred times.

In India it is different: even you have fixed a price, it is possible that they stop half way and want to increase the price. Just keep calm and insist that he brings you to your destination. It works.

Arranging in advance and fixing the price before undertaking the journey is great, right up to the point where you arrive at your destination and the price has increased. Then you get the problems. And don't try to tell me this is a rare occurrence, cos it just isn't anymore here in the LoS.

But I have been living in Bangkok and Pattaya for the last 30 years and have never experienced violence or other crime against myself. Then again, I tend to stay out of trouble.

You seem to be implying that just because YOU have never personally experienced violence or crime against yourself, that either the incident was the OP's fault, or that violence and crime doesn't exist here? Which is it? And don't you think that's a rather simplistic attitude and myopic view of life in Thailand?

Thailand is not a dangerous place to live if you stay sober and mind your own business. If you get drunk and start arguing with Tuk Tuk drivers etc, and hang about certain places in the early hours of the morning, then there is a good chance you will find trouble. If you use common sense at all times you will be 99.9% safe.

In many areas you don't even need to much common sense. There is less than 1% of Thailand outside the southern provinces where you have to worry. Even in those areas it is not as bad as certain malcontent's would have you believe.

I really do not know Panama and therefore can't comment on your intentions. However, it is absolutely untrue to say that Thais hate foreigners. I, as a foreigner, have been living in Thailand for quite a few years now and have NEVER had even the slightest sign of hatred, or despise by Thais towards me. Of course, in the bazaars, or some smaller shops they will try and overcharge you if you are non-Thai and they think you are a tourist, but that is as far as it goes. There are, of course, exceptions - quarrels even killings, thefts, burglaries, motor accidents and the like. But, can you tell me where in the world this is not the case. Is Europe, the Us, Australia etc, free of such incidents??

By the way, if it were that bad in Thailand, why are there so many non-Thais here? Only in Chiang Mai province there are around 40,000 "Farangs" ( Europeans) and quite a few are not married to Thais, quite a few work here and some other (I assume the majority), are retirees, who really seem to enjoy it here. I have quite a few friends in this group and I can vouch for what i am saying.

I don't know if I am in your group but I will vouch for what you are saying.

I wonder if China has a forum where you are allowed to bash the Chinese?

Maybe TOT can use this as an ad campaign

OK now that post backs up my claim that Thai Visa should have a that's funny button on it.tongue.png

Are you listening mods

Edited by hellodolly

You have deal with tuktuk drivers the price before the journey, not after. If it seems you too much just walk away and go to the next one. Mostly that works and they offer you a better price. But note also that in some cities, e.g. in Nong Khai, there are fixed prices for tuktuk drives over the city area, published in various places, such as bus station, etc. I never had any problem in Thailand with tuktuk drivers, and I am sure, I used them already several hundred times.

In India it is different: even you have fixed a price, it is possible that they stop half way and want to increase the price. Just keep calm and insist that he brings you to your destination. It works.

Arranging in advance and fixing the price before undertaking the journey is great, right up to the point where you arrive at your destination and the price has increased. Then you get the problems. And don't try to tell me this is a rare occurrence, cos it just isn't anymore here in the LoS.

Well in 7 years of using Tuk tuks I have only had that happen once. I simply paid him a fair price and walked away. I know the price was fair because it was the same trip I have taken hundreds of times and when I come out of my building all I have to do is point and most of the tuk tuk drivers know where I am going and how much they are going to get not a problem On the other hand twice coming home from a different place I did not arrange the price and on arrival asked how much and was told up to you.

One time I was in a strange tuk tuk and my wallet slipped out of my pocket. an hour later the driver came back with my wallet and every thing still in it.

You seem to be implying that just because YOU have never personally experienced violence or crime against yourself, that either the incident was the OP's fault, or that violence and crime doesn't exist here? Which is it? And don't you think that's a rather simplistic attitude and myopic view of life in Thailand?

Funny man you just got done implying that fixing the rate before you get in to the tuk tuk is not the rate they will ask for when you get out. Sounds to me like you have a superior attitude and constantly let them know how great you are so they try to charge you for the service of listing to you.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Yeah, they're pussies, never fight fair. always 5-8 to one at least. Look at them they're so frail like girls they could barely defend themselves otherwise.

How about we give this rubbish a break.

It is a popular (but worn-out) diatribe here on TV. I've read this rubbish so many time it makes me nauseous.

-- it is throwback to the old colonial-minded stereotypes of "little brown people" who Westerners considered

to be a bit less than human. The same white supremacist attitudes were used against native Americans by

the white "pioneers" from Europe.

Think about this: who is more guilty of destroying the environment and waging global wars -- native Americans

or modern American society? Can we honestly say that native Americans were less human? Or less humane?

Likewise, the history and writings by early Europeans in China is full of such white supremacist attitudes.

This is the 21st century, for god's sake. Should we not expect that in the last 700-800 years folks would have

learned a bit about the humanity of the human species?

TV has rules about posting derogatory comments directed towards all Thais. How about we follow the rules?

"8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais."

• Like 2

Good grief. As far as I know "farang" means foreigner regardless of decent.

No, it specifically means Caucasian, it comes from the word for "French" who were the colonists in Vietnam and to whom Siam lost a lot of territory including Cambodia and Laos which were formerly under Siamese suzerainity. They did also lose territory to the British in Burma and Malaya but not to as great an extent.

Chinese, Koreans, Malay etc are foreigners but they are not "farang".

Edited by blorg
  • Like 2

so many thaihaters on thai visa,unbeliveable.Good that things like this never happened outside thailand,only in thai.<deleted>

A ruck is a ruck, can happen anywhere, BUT, when I see a bloke putting the boot in to a bird on the floor, with help, THAT is a step to far.

• Like 1

Bare in mind that a lot of tuk tuk drivers are drunk during their working hours and the vast amount of motor fumes they inhale must inhibit their reasoning skills. I actually only had one trip with a tuk tuk driver arranged as a "tour" the first time I went to Thailand many years ago. He tried the usual shit of trying to take me into sponsored tailor shops and a massage parlor but I was not interested in that so he took me around to various attractions in BKK and then we stopped at a bar and had a few drinks, pretty good day actually. Most tuk tuk drivers seem come across as nobs though sadly.

I've only ever had one dispute with a Tuk Tuk driver and I lucked out,

as he pulled out his "Farang education stick" I knocked him the hell out and left him slumped in his seat and wandered off slowly whistling,as it was a small soi that he's pulled into to rob me,nobody(or at least no-one who cared)saw it happen,

I then got back to the main road and got a taxi,I generally,genuinely don't take tuk tuk's,but one has to try everything once or twice smile.png

P.S. Kevozman I love your profile Pic "Minsc and Boo to the rescue!","go for the eyes Boo,go for the eyes!",he(they I should say are still my absolute favourite PC game characters...we could do with Minsc and Boo in Thailand now hey?

Edited by QualityTouristNumberOne
  • Like 1

I truly feel that the Thai's (particularly the guys) hold a deep seated envy or resentment towards Westerners for having, coming from or being "more" than them. Another topic entirely of course. But were this to all come out into the open (in a non violent way) or if they were to grow up a bit and look at this question from a mature standpoint, they'd see things a bit more clearly.

Maybe the Thais are no better at bridging the cultural gap than you are.

You judge Thais based on your cultural perspective. It certainly doesn't

mean your judgements are any more accurate or valid than theirs, just

different due to the different cultures.

• Like 1

Good grief. As far as I know "farang" means foreigner regardless of decent.

No, it specifically means Caucasian, it comes from the word for "French" who were the colonists in Vietnam and to whom Siam lost a lot of territory including Cambodia and Laos which were formerly under Siamese suzerainity. They did also lose territory to the British in Burma and Malaya but not to as great an extent.

Chinese, Koreans, Malay etc are foreigners but they are not "farang".

Not according to my missus. She/we got robbed by a black farang (Indian I think) during last years new years eve festivities in Pataya. No we don't live there..went for the celebrations.

She told me a black farang touched her...5000 baht bracelet gone. Luckily I asked her to leave the 30,000 baht necklace I the hotel room as I thought it would get stolen for sure

Edited by Mudcrab

Not according to my missus. She/we got robbed by a black farang (Indian I think) during last years new years eve festivities in Pataya. No we don't live there..went for the celebrations.

It might get applied to certain non-Caucasians, sometimes with a qualifier like "black farang" but you would never see an East or Southeast Asian person* referred to as a "farang". The point is it is not synonymous with "foreigner", there are "foreigners" who are not "farang".

*Maybe ethnic Indians from Malaysia are black farang? This is a level of specificity beyond my qualifications :)

Edited by blorg

It is important to see this forum for what it is. A selected news item is published as a lead article for a thread. This then receives comments from those that feel strongly enough to write. Simple except that the news items are generally about inflammatory subjects guaranteed to stir up the angry feelings of a few. Some contributor stories are, in my opinion, very imaginative and well beyond belief.

Many people come to Thailand and enjoy the time of their life here and never have any problems at all. For many tourists in Phuket ignorance is bliss and they go back to their homes full of happy memories of a few wonderful weeks. For me? Well, I might wish for better road sense for motor cyclists but everything else is well within the parameters of a comfortable trouble free life here in Buriram province.

Agree with Abrahamzvi (32) & hellodolly (44). Been living in Chiang Mai going on 6 years now, and can't think of any other place I'd rather live. I've only had 1 incident or problem in that time, and I definitely came out the winner in that.

I love the people here, have always found them friendly & helpful for the most part. Sure, sometimes you run into some jerk or a**hole, but you can't name one city or country in the world where that won't happen.

Chiang Mai or Panama City? In my book, That's a "no-brainer"